Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Is it me or is the game dead?

Lol, you guys played 100-500 hours of something without enjoying it?

IncGamers Member

100+ hours its nothing for an ARPG loot hunting game, time goes by quickly in an skinner box game. I wouldnt say I "forced myself to play it" but many times it was just tedious, I had to exit the game many times to play another game (even casual stuff like Dota 2 and Team Fortress 2) but I eventually came back to D3 to search for that glimmer of hope that the game would get better, that I would find a great item and give me that feeling that D2 gave but no, that never happened.

The game is somewhat enjoyable at first but the more you play it, the more it burns out and yes I know, every game is like this but I would expect that effect to take more time to kick-in for a Diablo game. I have some hours on D3 (I dont know how many) but I regret those hours spent on it, and I have had wayyyyy more hours sinked on Diablo 2 on its first year and I have no regrets about that as the game was really good.

The game isn't dead, the discussion here is.

The population is healthy, I've made more friends in D3 than in my whole 10 years of D2, there are many dedicated players there who enjoy the game just like I do and we do high MP runs like a boss.

I've migrated over to the official forums (apart from the GD) because it's a pity that the forum here is filled with whiny grumpy old men who never fail to repeat the same old WAH WAH like the poster above me in every single thread, simply because they are still stuck in the boring old d2 bubble.

Ciao~

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by raveharu View Post
    The game isn't dead.

The population is healthy...
    D3 may not be dead. But it sure as hell ain't healthy.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    It took most people about 2-4 weeks to realize the game was dead, about time the bulk of the most zealous fans began getting their characters to inferno expecting the "real" game to kick in, only to be smacked in the face with every poor design decision.

Diablo 3 didn't die, it never was alive.

It's first birthday is not coming up next month, D3 was delivered still-born.

Blizzard has done what they can to the corpse to make it stink less, but just like you can't revive a dead body, you can't fix Diablo 3. The game is fundamentally broken. Blizzard has their money and they aren't going to redesign the game from scratch (which is basically what it needs) because that would be a horrible waste of money. The profitable thing to do now is to just clean up the mess as best they can and hope to squeeze out a few console and expansion sales.
    +1
    I played the beta for 100 hours and learned as much about the game pre-release as I could, expecting to be addicted for years to come. After 4 weeks I admitted that the game was a disappointment, sold all my gear and moved on as best I could. I at least made $2k but I would have rather had the game I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan E View Post
    Lol, you guys played 100-500 hours of something without enjoying it?
    No one never said they had 0% enjoyment over 500 hours. The resulting amount of satisfaction after X hours was low. I never avidly enjoyed playing Diablo 3. The game was just barely "ok" the whole time. I would have stopped at 20hrs on Normal if it wasn't labeled Diablo because at that point the game was just disappointing. Hope for change is what dragged me (and most people) for another ridiculous amount of hours.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by themeros View Post
    No one never said they had 0% enjoyment over 500 hours. The resulting amount of satisfaction after X hours was low. I never avidly enjoyed playing Diablo 3. The game was just barely "ok" the whole time. I would have stopped at 20hrs on Normal if it wasn't labeled Diablo because at that point the game was just disappointing. Hope for change is what dragged me (and most people) for another ridiculous amount of hours.
    I hope (and this is a general statement about life, not directed at you) that my life is never such that I ever spend more than 20 hours doing something I don't actively enjoy. There are too many awesome things in life to waste time doing things that are not immediately satisfying.

I hope (and this is a general statement about life, not directed at you) that my life is never such that I ever spend more than 20 hours doing something I don't actively enjoy. There are too many awesome things in life to waste time doing things that are not immediately satisfying.
    You're being too literal. Imagine a curve chart where X is time and Y is the enjoyment of Diablo 3. Mine starts at 100% enjoyment but over time degrades to 10%. I don't consider a "waste of my life" playing 100 hours of Diablo 3, but the end result was very unsatisfactory. I would not have spent so much time on it if I knew beforehand I would not enjoy it.

It's also not that easy with life. Couples spend YEARS on unhappy, failed and unhealthy relationships and marriages. No one chooses unenjoyment or to waste years of their lives. You just take time to realize it. You keep hoping things will get better. It also doesn't mean you hated it the whole time.

Like in an unhappy relationship, hope for change is what drags you on even when you are not fully enjoying it. You can't always know the end result

IncGamers Member

I don't really have a high tolerance for things I don't like (in case that wasn't obvious). If I'm unhappy in a relationship, I'm going to try to rectify the issue right away. If it's obviously at an unsolvable impasse, then there's nothing more to be done and no point to spend further energy addressing it.

Anyway, that aside, I guess the point is -- everyone has a place where their "enjoyment percentage" is no longer worth it. I guess what you're saying is that, over 100 hours (depending on the rate at which your enjoyment degraded), you averaged something like 55% enjoyment. Maybe that's not sufficient for you -- but I guess my point would be that if you required a minimum of 70% enjoyment over the lifespan of your playtime to be satisfied, maybe it would've been better to bail on the game exactly when your at-that-point enjoyment dropped below 70%, to save yourself future disappointment. I like to think that I'm a pretty instinctual person and I don't generally go back and disagree with my gut, so that sort of thing works for me -- if I'm not enjoying it now, I doubt I'm going to experience a turnaround. And as it pertains to games, I find that I enjoy most gaming experiences less over time, and not more, so once it stops being super-fun, that's a signal for me to immediately move on.

Anyway, so long as you weren't pushing yourself through a miserable experience for some unknown reason, cheers! But I hope you don't ever do that to yourself, because that seems like a lame way to live a life.

I don't really have a high tolerance for things I don't like (in case that wasn't obvious). If I'm unhappy in a relationship, I'm going to try to rectify the issue right away. If it's obviously at an unsolvable impasse, then there's nothing more to be done and no point to spend further energy addressing it.

Anyway, that aside, I guess the point is -- everyone has a place where their "enjoyment percentage" is no longer worth it. I guess what you're saying is that, over 100 hours (depending on the rate at which your enjoyment degraded), you averaged something like 55% enjoyment. Maybe that's not sufficient for you -- but I guess my point would be that if you required a minimum of 70% enjoyment over the lifespan of your playtime to be satisfied, maybe it would've been better to bail on the game exactly when your at-that-point enjoyment dropped below 70%, to save yourself future disappointment. I like to think that I'm a pretty instinctual person and I don't generally go back and disagree with my gut, so that sort of thing works for me -- if I'm not enjoying it now, I doubt I'm going to experience a turnaround. And as it pertains to games, I find that I enjoy most gaming experiences less over time, and not more, so once it stops being super-fun, that's a signal for me to immediately move on.

Anyway, so long as you weren't pushing yourself through a miserable experience for some unknown reason, cheers! But I hope you don't ever do that to yourself, because that seems like a lame way to live a life.
    100% agreed