Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Is it me or is the game dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan E View Post
    Don't mind him -- he just banging that same drum that he's been banging intermittently for months now -- "waaah public games aren't fun" and "waaah I want balanced pvp" -- everything else be damned. .
    Durrrh... Ok.. Smart guy huh?

*Looks at 11 MP lvls with the entire player base spread out between it.. Then looks at dead pvp. *

Everything else is already damned. Im not banging my head against the drum. Im pointing out the obvious.

And at this moment im pointing out the obvious to the oblivious.

IncGamers Member

It certainly is not doing that well for what people expected it to be. One year and the overall feeling of the game is just so dysmal, people like to point out "Dur dur you spent 500 hours on it!" well... its a Skinner Box game, its easy to burn hours on it. I dont think people expected that the sequel to D2 would burn out so quickly after one year.

How many games have provided over a year of fun for any of you? I played D2 pretty regularly for 5 years. There hasn't been another game for me like that. There are games that I can go back to and have fun with once in a while, but nothing I play with regularity like I did D2. Even when I played WoW I didn't play for more than six months per expansion. I think the expectations for D3 were too damn high.

I'm personally still enjoying the game, though it's due to self imposed limitations. Outside of the game being opened up for the community to mod, I don't think it'll hold on very long after the expansion. Maybe Blizzard will surprise us all.

IncGamers Member

How many games have provided over a year of fun for any of you? I played D2 pretty regularly for 5 years. There hasn't been another game for me like that.

I think the expectations for D3 were too damn high.
    "Too damn high expectations" is just an hilarious statement, sorry, its so easy to shift the blame on the players rather than the developers of a multi-billion company.

If the game feels so pointless after year it just means that they failed to achieve what their fanbase expected given how D2 has lasted and remained entertaing after much more than just one year and Blizzard had plenty of time and money to recreate the same feeling.

It wasnt "too damn high expectations", they just dropped the ball on the design of the game, in July people were already confused how they are already bored of a game that was supposed to be built upon the idea of replayability, confused at how blizzard missed the point. The reason why this game sold 10 million copies on weeks was because of players expectations about that replayability but what we got was something that was more suited for an Xbox live arcade game than a 60$ retail game that has been in development for 7 years and a sequel to a legendary PC title.

BattleTag nurman-2854

Quote Originally Posted by slyraje View Post
    How many games have provided over a year of fun for any of you? I played D2 pretty regularly for 5 years. There hasn't been another game for me like that. There are games that I can go back to and have fun with once in a while, but nothing I play with regularity like I did D2. Even when I played WoW I didn't play for more than six months per expansion. I think the expectations for D3 were too damn high.

I'm personally still enjoying the game, though it's due to self imposed limitations. Outside of the game being opened up for the community to mod, I don't think it'll hold on very long after the expansion. Maybe Blizzard will surprise us all.
    Diablo 1, 2 & 3, Quake 2, Starcraft 1&2, Tribes 2 & Ascend, Warcraft 3, WoW, Crimson Skies, Tropico, Alpha Centauri, Baldur's Gate, Fallouts.... just to name the ones I though up in 2 minutes and have played over 2 years at some point, at least 200 hours per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiroptus View Post
    "Too damn high expectations" is just an hilarious statement, sorry, its so easy to shift the blame on the players rather than the developers of a multi-billion company.

If the game feels so pointless after year it just means that they failed to achieve what their fanbase expected given how D2 has lasted and remained entertaing after much more than just one year and Blizzard had plenty of time and money to recreate the same feeling.

It wasnt "too damn high expectations", they just dropped the ball on the design of the game, in July people were already confused how they are already bored of a game that was supposed to be built upon the idea of replayability, confused at how blizzard missed the point. The reason why this game sold 10 million copies on weeks was because of players expectations about that replayability but what we got was something that was more suited for an Xbox live arcade game than a 60$ retail game that has been in development for 7 years and a sequel to a legendary PC title.
    Who said anything about shifting the blame? I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I'm asking how many games have achieved what D2 did as far as staying power is concerned. In my 27 years of gaming, I've never encountered a game that had 1/5 the staying power of D2. Why would I expect D3 to be an exception? I think it's a fair to wonder if expectations were too high.

I don't think Blizzard completely screwed the game up, but they did fall well short of the bar set by D2. Expectations can be too high, and Blizzard can miss the mark at the same time.

Edit: I lied. I did play Neverwinter Nights for about 4 years pretty regularly. So maybe I should have expected more.
    Last edited by slyraje; 01-05-2013 at 02:16.

IncGamers Member

Dear Mr Blizzard,

For last Summer, I expected a warm, fuzzy, likable, obedient, intelligent, playful young puppy by the name of Mr Cuddles. I got delivered a dead gopher instead. I think it had been dead for a few weeks as the smell reached up into the high heavens.

What happened to Mr Cuddles, Mr Blizzard? Did you or uncle Acti murder him?

Sincerely, your former customer,
    Greiz

P.S. I thank you for the make-up kit for the gopher but I want Mr Cuddles instead. :((

IncGamers Member

Who said anything about shifting the blame? I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I'm asking how many games have achieved what D2 did as far as staying power is concerned. In my 27 years of gaming, I've never encountered a game that had 1/5 the staying power of D2. Why would I expect D3 to be an exception?
    But I believe its reasonable to expect that with 7 years of development and with Blizzard's money, we could get something that would be far more longlasting than what D3 is, where in 2 months the game was already tedious to a lot of people.

The issues with the game are glaring, from itemzation to the horrible story shoved down your throat on every run. For a Blizzard title this is the most low quality product that they have ever released, Its an average-bad product even without the decade-old expectations, seriously if the game was announced yesterday and released today, even without all the marketing fluff and hype that they drowned themselves in, I would still be underwhelmed by what the game turned out to be.

"You played it for 500 hours therefore you must have enjoyed it." <- That is the most erroneous conclusion EVER.

HOPE and emotional attachment are the reason people who hated the game still reached 500 hours. The hope that you were wrong, the hope that you were missing something and the hope that something just around the corner would change everything!

I barely reached 100 hours and after Normal I knew deeply in my heart that every second was a struggle between emotion and reason. "It sucks so bad but... it's Diablo!". I didn't want to believe my beloved franchise, which I had waited for 10 years, was this mediocre thing happening before my eyes, so I kept playing until the day I gave hope up.

IncGamers Member

^Yeah that was my experience as well, when the game ended I was like: "Thats it? No wait, it has to be more." So I kept playing until Inferno and all the improvement I saw were numbers, I searched the internet for any good unique items that could open up possibilities but no, all were boring stat sticks worse than rares at release (seriously, what were they thinking when they made those legendary items like that???).

And then, people started to slowly realise how underwhelming the game was and Blizzard's gloating about the sales and Bashiok's snide remarks about any complaints got quickly followed by an apology from Mike Morhaime and the dev team soon started to run around the offices flaying their arms in despair on how to fix this scrambled mess which has so many dire design issues already rooted and solidified into the game (and the lack of content as well), I mean... critical damage has already fubared the whole itemzation and blizzard already stated that they wont nerf it because people spent real-money on items for it, Ah and good job about that, tieing the main aspect of the game, itemzation, to a real-world microtransaction market which handcuffed the developers on changes about it was a good move, bravo blizzard, bravo.

D3's big misfire is a fascinating subject, I really dont feel ANY reason to reinstall the game but I check the updates constantly because its just amazing that a project like this from a company like Blizzard could have fallen so flat, its something unfathomable, it was the big gaming surprise of 2012, it caught so many people off-guard and removed a lot of Blizzard's aura of "polishment". The only good thing it did is to remind the industry about the ARPG genre.