Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 55 of 63 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member endlesscircuit's Avatar

Re: Random Tournament 2013

Good progress BKC, /p8 can get slow (especially with abnormal weapons) but I think it's always worth it in the end.

I'm in the exact same place actually, although in Hell.

Full clear up through the Dark Wood, including Tristram, on /p3. The lvl 85 Mausoleum was particularly slow going. (Everything is LI...) Had my first NDE of the whole game, really, trying to run back through the Stony Field to open up the portal to Tristram. I accidentally S & E'd before, so Rakanishu was alive and well. I tried to herd them away, with the help of my newest toy: Nadir!

Code:
    +50% Enhanced Defense
    +10 Defense
    +30 Defense vs. Missile
    Level 13 Cloak of Shadows (9 Charges)
    +2 To Mana After Each Kill
    +5 To Strength
    -33% Extra Gold From Monsters
    -3 To Light Radius
    Totally useless runeword, but it has that precious crowd control - Cloak of Shadows. Well, let's just say that it was not a success. I lost the merc and became surrounded. Chugged 5 purples, kept casting CoS, and eventually an opening let me run away. I resurrected the merc, and finished touching the stones, and TP'd out of there as it opened...and then when I came back through the TP, all the stones were lit, but no portal! I guess you have to stay around to watch it open. So I S & E'd, came back, this time it was open and I was able to lure away Rakanishu and jump through. Tristram itself was a breeze.

Conqueror Tuche, Level 76 Assassin, Hell Black Marsh

IncGamers Member

If anyone happens to peek inside this thread anymore can you roll me up a Necromancer?

@iMonsterEatCity: Some of us are still active! Here's a necro:

Necromancer

Forever Skills:
    Bone Prison
    Bone Armor -> Blood Golem
    Clay Golem
    Bone Spear [Locked Normal]

Normal Skills:
    Bone Wall
    Poison Nova
    Teeth
    Amplify Damage

Armor:
    Great Helm
    Medium Armor
    Large Shield -> Tower Shield
    Leather Gloves
    Boots
    Belt
    Preserved Head

Weapons:
    Wand
    Grim Wand
    Repeating Crossbow -> Double Axe

Sorry about the roll! Bonemancer for now, I guess, but beyond that, who knows. Any rerolls?

A little update on my progress:

Tuche has now cleared all the Black Marsh, including the Tower and the Hole, on /p3. No good finds at all, and no more NDEs. The merc is still fragile, especially against archer bosspacks, but I've gotten good at managing him with a lot of town portals. In fact TP spamming feels a little like cheating (I don't have them in the belt, at least. That would be absurd.) I put on Nadir for each level of the Tower and Level 2 of the Hole, since it's got stair traps, but fortunately no stair traps at all.

Conqueror Tuche, Level 77 Assassin, Hell Tamoe Highlands
    Last edited by endlesscircuit; 25-08-2013 at 21:55. Reason: Added Gear Rerolls

IncGamers Member

Please re-roll Large Shield and Repeating Crossbow.

As far as my skill re-roll: is it allowed for any skill including forever skills, or only one of my normal skills? I know the rule says it must be done at the beginning of the character.

I will almost surely lock Bone Spear as a forever skill, but that depends on my skill reroll. When you lock a forever skill, I assume it just gets added to the list giving you 4 forever skills instead of replacing one of the 3, correct?

edit: or I may choose to lock Bone Wall. That gives me some extra tanking power and two powerful methods of crowd control that synergize. Ofcourse, for killing power I would be completely subject to the whims of my merc and nm/hell skill rolls.

edit again: AD isn't a bad choice either. BA for self preservation, BP for crowd control, AD to help the moron kill quicker. Any advice before I spin myself in more circles regarding my skill choice?

As for my skill re-roll: is it possible to have a redundant roll? That is, if I choose clay golem as my re-roll, is it possible for Bone Wall to be rolled as a forever skill in its place even though it is already in my normal skills? Or would any redundancy be rerolled again?

After I get these questions answered I will most likely re-roll clay golem. I would love to have another guaranteed tank that slows nasty enemies down, but bone prison and a merc will probably be crowd control enough tbh. Bone Wall or Decrep would serve me much better than clay golem as a forever skill. Also, unless my hell skill roll includes Golem Master, gumby will probably not be that great past early NM. It just doesn't make sense to me to reroll a normal skill that will just get replaced soon anyhow, especially since I already have a great skill to lock as a forever skill.
    Last edited by iMonsterEatCity; 25-08-2013 at 10:39.

First, the gear rerolls:

Large Shield -> Tower Shield
    Repeating Crossbow -> Double Axe

Next, your questions:

1. You can reroll forever skills.

2. When you lock a normal skill, you will have 4 forever skills for future rolls, and only receive 4 rolls for nightmare and hell. (Or you can lock a skill at the start of nightmare.)

3. It is a quirk of the tournament that if you reroll a forever skill and it's the same as a normal skill, the normal skill doesn't "become" that forever skill and then you reroll the normal skill. Rather, all rerolls roll are until a new skill, neither in the present list of normal or forever skills, is found.

As far as advice goes, I don't have much experience, this being my first Random tournament.

I think that standard candidates for locking on a Necro would be crowd control (Attract, Decrepify in a sense) and killing power (Corpse Explosion). Remember that you can lock a Nightmare skill too, if you don't lock a Normal skill. Playing an underpowered fire trapper myself, I find that the merc is able to kill at a fine speed by himself, so I'm not sure if he needs Amplify Damage to survive. He definitely won't in normal or nightmare. The Clay Golem will be really fragile, but nonetheless is very useful. I never use Bone Armor on necros, not sure how useful it is. Remember that it's better to pump the synergies than the armor itself.
    Last edited by endlesscircuit; 25-08-2013 at 16:57.

IncGamers Member

Ok then. I will lock Bone Spear as a forever skill and reroll Bone Armor.

Bone Armor -> Blood Golem (not so great...)

IncGamers Member

Yeah, would have preferred Bone Armor, believe it or not.

I should have read the rules closer and I would have seen that I could have chosen my weapon type to be rolled. Would've gone 2x wand 1x javelin or pilum. Oh well.

IncGamers Member

Thom, the bonemancer in training, is progressing just fine as a curse lackey at the moment and has rescued cain. Medium armor, Boots, and Leather Gloves are good rolls for Act I Normal, allowing me to shop 3os chain mail and gamble for the "of chance" suffix on boots and gloves. My best find so far fits right in with my item roll too:

Code:
    Hotspur 
    Boots 
    Defense: 10 
    Durability: 6 of 12 
    Required Level: 5 
    Fingerprint: 0x880942d8 
    Item Level: 7 
    Version: Expansion 1.10+ 
    Adds 3 - 6 Fire Damage 
    +16% Enhanced Defense 
    +6 Defense 
    +15 to Life 
    +15% to Maximum Fire Resist 
    Fire Resist +45%

Handy for areas with lots of fire damage dealers, especially CS at Ventar's seal and Diablo. Currently wearing a pair of 15%mf boots instead of these.

Not a lot of topaz luck so far, only 3. No good preserved heads yet either.

I put 3 or 4 points into clay golem and 4 or 5 into Amplify Damage. I think the AD pts were worth it, but I think investing in gumby was a mistake, albeit a not that critical one since I will respec in Act I NM anyhow. Blood Golem will probably be my golem of choice for Act bosses.

Not using bone wall hardly any yet. Only for boss packs or huge mobs to separate and thin out the crowd. My merc and the clay golem are tanking and killing just fine without any crowd control up to this point. Honestly, even with Bone Spear in hand I may spend most of normal just casting curses and managing the crowds with Bone Wall.

Thom the lvl 15 Bonemancer and Isolde the Fire Arrow Rogue Mercenary, Black Marsh next.

My fire trapper (or you can call her 'merc squire' becuase that is more accurate...) has been moving on in Nightmare and has now reached the last act. No real scares despite very little crowd control. Pretty much all crowd control I have is the Shadow Warrior. Good thing she is sturdy, especially against elemental damage. She impressed me with her ability to surive lots of Hydra fire in Travincal.

Still no luck with any 4s heavy armors. Not even a single white Full Plate since last time, so not even any chance to try the recipe. If this goes on for a few more levels, I can shop Larzuk for Jeweler's Full Plates as a last resort.

No real exciting finds, although I thought a Bahamut's Amulet of the Whale was pretty cool. I like magic-only prefix + suffix items.

The merc was alive about half of the time against Diablo. That Insight he holds is pretty handy for when Erica wants to spew out five Wakes of Inferno (that takes 100 mana) plus recast the Shadow Warrior often. This fighting situation was the best, with the merc at a safe distance, oblivious to his surroundings.

Elites start to drop more regularly in the next act. Highest on my wishlist are a 2s (or plain white) Heater and an ethereal Thresher (unsocketed or with 5 sockets would be best, but I'll gladly take one with 2, 3 or 4 sockets as well).

Erica the Assassin and Razan the Might guard, level 66, NM Bloody Foothills next