Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Death in the familly - Linksys WRT54G

Alas, poor WRT54G, trusty router. Yes, you have been technically obsolete for several years now, and only an idiot would buy one of your direct descendants, but you served (or rather, routed) my family faithfully, safely, and steadily.

Now you're a brick. You may have lights, but the flashing power light, lack of DHCP, and no WLAN means you're still a brick.

So I must find a new router to replace you. I'm thinking one of your general family like the EA2700.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Re: Death in the familly - Linksys WRT54G

If I were in the market for a cable modem, (Like when mine next fails) I'd pick up Motorola's SB6141 Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable modem at $90.

i PICKED UP A Cisco/Belkin (Owns Linksys re-brand.) E1500 A FEW YEARS BACK oPPScaps

Still works for me though. (non-cloud bases firmware)

Just check it's all the best supported features you carrier has (Mine is not sadly anymore and I'm going to need to update -I need this.
    DOCSIS 3.0: This is the newest version of DOCSIS, which will work for any level of High Speed Internet and will always provide the highest speeds possible.
    DOCSIS 3.0 modems are capable of channel bonding, which enables multiple downstream and upstream channels to be used together at the same time by a single user. The more channels a device has the higher the speeds it can achieve.
    There are two types of DOSCIS 3.0 modems:
    8 x 4 channels (8 downstream and 4 upstream) - BobCox recommends this modem for all customers, regardless of the speed of service that you select.)

I know what your mean though. . .

I got 2 old netgear/bay networks RT350s sitting behind it with filter lists and QOS and a bench setup with to two DLinkDFE-812TX 12 port 100 base tx fast ethernet hubs.
    I can't replace them and I'm using to endpoint powered networks
    I extend them with these.
    Last edited by BobCox2; 24-04-2013 at 06:18.

I loved the WRT54G. The older versions were very reliable and customizable.

The newer versions, not so much, but they did fill the hole. It was like plugging a leaky boat with chewing gum, but it worked. Most of the time anyway. I did have the experience of seeing about a hundred of the buggers decide to puke (digitally speaking) at the same time. Still don't know why it happened.

Had good luck with whatever the new ones are after Cisco bought them out. The "E"something-or-other 802.11N router that's all shiny black plastic. Less range IIRC, but stable. Living conditions changed and now running off of another WRT54G, so it's boxed up somewhere for the time being.

R.I.P. dearest and oldest friend

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

My 3Com has been running continuously for the last 150 years. Good little workhorse, that one.

Sorry for your loss, it's hard to let the old faithful ones go

Had no idea there was so much love for the WRT54G! I bricked mine in the mid-aughts but never threw it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    Had no idea there was so much love for the WRT54G! I bricked mine in the mid-aughts but never threw it out.
    I had replaced the OS with Tomato, but yes, it was a beloved router before Linksys screwed the pooch and tried to smuggle significant changes out under the same product banner as "WRT54G(v.5)" The first article I linked mentions it, including switching the OS off of Linux.

I was actually hiding the WRT54G behind whatever Motorola Piece'oShyte came with Optimum service, just as I'd hidden it behind the various other ISP's garbage routers. At one point I'd gone so far as to buy an old ISDN modem for $15 because the ISP was renting one to me at $5/month.

I'm not really doing anything high-speed, and until I'm able to get FIOS or other high-speed connex it won't be like I need 1000Mbps across the home because it still hits cable modem speed once it leaves my curb.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    I'm not really doing anything high-speed, and until I'm able to get FIOS or other high-speed connex it won't be like I need 1000Mbps across the home because it still hits cable modem speed once it leaves my curb.
    Where I live, I have the choice between 3Mbps via ADSL and 32 Mbps via the cable TV line, both for about the same price and the latter including a flatrate for landline telephony as well, making it an easy choice
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    Where I live, I have the choice between 3Mbps via ADSL and 32 Mbps via the cable TV line, both for about the same price and the latter including a flatrate for landline telephony as well, making it an easy choice
    Most Americans don't have decent throughput, and mostly don't even know that it is nowhere near their advertised bandwidth. Mostly American choices are the same as yours, except that Cable doesn't size very well and not all phone companies offer ASDL/ISDN worth using. Fiber is pretty much an urban/suburban item even at this date, in part because of lawfare and Gov't corruption from existing carriers. Still, small video streams look just fine on 11Mbps wireless, and there's plenty of games to be played with caching and multi-streaming that gloss over the shortcomings.

One obvious one that people fall for is the "internet accelerator" - all this means is caching servers (I guess the latest Microsoft offering is now called AppFabric; I knew it under a different name) that pre-load common content likely to be streamed or downloaded so that only the unique requests have to be streamed from original source.

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

Here on my tiny segment of the pissant rock, I have the choice of 2Mbps ADSL or, uh, yeah, blowing it out my arse.

Feudalism sucks.