Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Site Pal crawlingdeadman's Avatar

Guardian LongSky - Two Handed Polearm/Spear zealot

Hello again, everyone, I have a fine character to post up this time. He is named after a character in the movie Hero. I wanted to make him sorta themed as a character that only uses spears, but I found out that spears are really short changed in D2 especially for a pally so, I decided a pole arm was close enough. There's tons of love for pole arms in D2 so it was easy finding weapons. I played him solo up to around normal act 2 or 3 iirc. There were a couple play groups I played with, but in the end most of NM and Hell was Pyro and I using two, two-handed polearm pallies. It was great fun and the duo was very strong; covering each others downfalls. With only a little further ado:

LongSky

Stats/Skills:
    Spoiler

Gear:
    Spoiler

Merc:
    Spoiler

End of game LCS with might
    End of game LCS w/o might

According to my screenshot folder, I started this guy way back in 2010.... guess I got distracted or something. I liked him immediately and spent a lot of time putting weapons on him, seeing how they'd work, then swapping around. The overwhelming power of the Paladin character shows through on LongSky since I could put whatever crap I wanted on him and he'd still soar right along. Here are some weapons I used along the way. This Insight blew pretty much everything out of the water until I could equip this Obedience. After obedience, that was pretty much it. I tried a few other things like using Reaper's on myself and these upped rares, but in the end this obedience won out easily. My main weapon switch for a long time was this Crescent Moon, it was great for vs bosses, but since it lowered my resists, I didn't use it much in the field. After gaining guardian I had one more Beatstick to try, Tomb Reaver. However, it just didn't match up. Obedience won mostly because its big drawback of having no ias didn't mean squat to me using fanat. I finally did make another obedience so that I could use Loh/gores over 2x IK pieces that I needed for the extra 25% ias.

Game play was pretty easy once Pyro and I hooked up. He was running a two handed Avenger using Obedience we complimented each other well. Conviction let me worry less about AR and fanat let him worry about something other than IAS. When we split up, these drawbacks were apparent. I was hitting less and he was super slow. Great when together, though. I maxed Conversion because I wanted to try it out as crowd control and it worked great, but once pyro put delerium on his merc, I barely used it. I put the rest of my points into vengence for some PI killing, but my merc's reaper's took care of most of that. If I were to respec my guy again, I'd probably max BA for its hidden bonus and split the points between vengence and Conversion. I really liked the fact that I could put spare points wherever I wanted with no real drawbacks. I got all the utility defensive auras and only didnt use salvation. Cleanse, Redemption, Vigor, I liked having them on hand and hotkeyed most of them.

Future plans include getting one more level so I can have charge again (forgot it on my last respec and I'm not going to respec again for one measly point). After that, I'll play him some more in MP games, then off to retirement.

Noteable drops:
    Hellforge
    Pyro's Gul
    ias/22% ed jewel

Action shot vs baal
    Last edited by crawlingdeadman; 13-08-2013 at 05:22.

Re: Guardian LongSky - Two Handed Polearm/Spear zealot

nice write-up. I should have joined in!

If I remember correctly, this was the result of our last group failing to come together and settling on a play time.

This run through was a blast, and it was actually one of the most enjoyable playthroughs I have done. The combination of Fanacticism/Conviction is just great, it works together seemlesly allowing for gear changes that weren't previously possible.

Nice write-up! I'm working on getting caught up so I can post mine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Great write-up, and I enjoyed the couple of Baals we did before the weekend. Congrats!

Congratz!

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag thefranklin-1107

Nice job!

Conviction + fanaticism would make any additional characters that much more powerful, too, no matter what they are! But it is always awkward to hang around people who are hooking up, so I understand why it was just you two. Also, I heard Pyro got the MDR bug...

Hero is a great movie, though.

IncGamers Member

Gratz!! Two handed paladins are my favourite.
    Am surprised you preferred polearms over spears tho. No ethereal upped hone sundans?

IncGamers Site Pal crawlingdeadman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thefranklin View Post
    Nice job!

Conviction + fanaticism would make any additional characters that much more powerful, too, no matter what they are! But it is always awkward to hang around people who are hooking up, so I understand why it was just you two. Also, I heard Pyro got the MDR bug...

Hero is a great movie, though.
    Awe, didn't mean to exclude anyone, we were just having a lot of fun doing a duo run through (for the most part). I meant to mention how we kept forgetting to check what dropped because we would roll along so quickly and smoothly. Many times i backed up several screens to check the drops.

MDR bug?

It is great, I recently went through my dvds and realized I had three movies directed by the same guy that are all pretty good. Have you seen House of Flying Daggers and Curse of the Golden Flower?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphodbrx View Post
    Gratz!! Two handed paladins are my favourite.

Am surprised you preferred polearms over spears tho. No ethereal upped hone sundans?
    I really wanted to go with spears as it fits the theme better, but I didn't have any that were all that great. If I'd had an upped, eth hone, I definitely would have used it. Looking for good runewords is what led me to realize how they'd gotten hosed. Seriously, would it have killed blizzard to make insight make-able in spears too?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by crawlingdeadman View Post
    I really wanted to go with spears as it fits the theme better, but I didn't have any that were all that great. If I'd had an upped, eth hone, I definitely would have used it. Looking for good runewords is what led me to realize how they'd gotten hosed. Seriously, would it have killed blizzard to make insight make-able in spears too?
    Yea, I agree. The only RW that is actually good in spears is Botd. They really should have made any one of Oath/obedience/insight/crescent moon/infinity etc. a spear RW. Though I'm sure the HC group should probably have an eth hone somewhere? They can't exactly be rare, I self found two of them myself.

Also, Nuada from Hellboy is my favourite fictional spear wielding character, though I haven't seen hero.

No eth hone here. I think I do remember seeing one though. Maybe solar?