Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BattleTag Leviathan-1356

Re: Recently returned player looking for advice please

I also second everything Mojo has said. I know him to be a knowledgeable player and some of his suggestions are things I hadn't considered/remembered (I don't know if I missed somewhere that you're self-found, but that makes a lot of Mojo's suggestions very powerful/useful given that circumstance).

Reaper of Souls Beta Tester mojolevel's Avatar
    BattleTag Mojo-1577

Quote Originally Posted by Katniss View Post
    I also second everything Mojo has said. I know him to be a knowledgeable player and some of his suggestions are things I hadn't considered/remembered (I don't know if I missed somewhere that you're self-found, but that makes a lot of Mojo's suggestions very powerful/useful given that circumstance).
    I AM pretty smart! :P

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/S...07/hero/855138

So I know I haven't changed a whole lot, but how am I looking now? I've *almost* doubled my vit.. increased strength a bit.. went dual wield..

My problem is that the blackthornes gives me almost 300 vit / 10k hp with the stats, the gem, and the set bonus.. So I've having a hard time finding anything that will be an improvement on that so I can up those.. Do I just eat the HP and take the loss?

BattleTag Leviathan-1356

I think you're looking pretty good, man!

I would say at some point you should look into going with IK Boots instead (when you find them of course). You can move that Vit bonus from the Blackthorne's set to other pieces. It looks like you don't have any of the crafted armor slots yet, so I would say you should definitely try to craft new Bracers. You can get a lot of DPS there and you only need to roll Vit, All Res, and Crit for them to be good, so that should happen for you in a relatively small amount of crafts unless you're super unlucky.

Then you might want to try to craft some Vit Shoulders and that's where you'll gain a ton of Vit and still can come up with quite a bit of Strength. Because it's Vit as the main stat though, those tend to take a longer time to pull through all the stats you'll be looking for. I'm personally still trying to improve my own, but I hardly craft them these days.

Assuming you get some Vit on your Bracers and some Vit on your Shoulders, then you can go IK Boots and benefit from the full set bonus although it's not super useful really. You'll really just be happy to have the All Res the boots provide. It's a little harder to craft really good gloves, but you might try those after you get good shoulders and bracers and that way you can carry four pieces of the set again if you don't find the full set bonus beneficial to you.

How are you liking the changes thus far?

You've got really good LoH and LPS now!

Reaper of Souls Beta Tester mojolevel's Avatar
    BattleTag Mojo-1577

It looks like you've made some really positive changes!

I would follow Katniss' advice on trying to move some vitality to a couple of other slots and like he pointed out, you can do it pretty easily through crafting. I would prioritize this if you can, because quickly you'll find that your blackthorne's pieces are your weakest slots (if they aren't already). Once you get away from your reliance on the Blackthorne's gear you can keep an eye out for 2-socket pants with high vitality and all resistances (I may even have a spare pair that I can give you, just remind me next time we're both online ) The ones I use against MP10 Ubers are like this: 60 str/200 vit/2 sockets/75 all resistances. It would also free you up to use something like Depth Diggers if you have a pair for farming. Basically, it's good to get a point where you can be flexible in that slot because you can repurpose quite a bit toward either damage or survivability by holding just 2 different pairs of pants.

Personally, I don't think it's worth using any more than 2 pieces of the IK set. After you grab the 60 all resistance 2-piece bonus, the diminishing returns of each successive set bonus trail off quickly considering what gear you have to give up to gain them. My guess is your best bet is to aim to keep the armor and the belt. The helm isn't bad and may be your best option at the moment, but I'd lose the gloves in favor of some crafted gloves. All you'd need to do is roll 2 of the 3 trifecta stats to gain a lot of DPS over your IK gloves, and don't forget the garuanteed high strength roll (you will more than double what you're getting out of that slot right now).

I think with a little crafting luck you can get your base DPS in the 70k range rather easily. Soon after that you'll start to recognize gains from LS over LoH and that will give you additional freedom to do things like upgrade your weapons to weapons with crit damage (as a fixed stat). You'll see major DPS gains once you're able to do that too. Your crit chance is at a pretty good level but you're missing out on DPS generation by not maximizing crit damage. A good rule of thumb is 1:10, Crit Chance:Crit Damage - so just keep that in the back of your mind as you're making some gearing choices and you should be good!