Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

Cups that overrunneth - Good News x2

The second bit of good news:

Today, Manchester City beat Manchester United in the English Premier Football League, at Man. Utd's own ground.

If it weren't for work tomorrow, I would be celebrating myself into a coma right about now

Re: Cups that overrunneth - Good News x2

I wish i could follow soccer more closely, it's a cool sport. It's just a pain here because all the MLS teams are pretty iffy, so to watch anything good--like the game you're talking about it's on some crazy channel that I might not get, and it's on at weird hours.

Also it's hard to connect to a team when they play for somewhere you've never even been. You can't just pick a team willy nilly.

BattleTag FTITCTAJ

My connection to the teams is that may family "supported" (aka followed the fortunes of) Manchester City for at least a couple of generations and I inherited that.

The thing to remember about Man City supporters is that the love seeing Man United lose ... they love it more than they love seeing Man City win. I know, it's crazy. Man City supporters literally hate Man Utd.

True story: My dear old Dad went to watch Man City playing at Crystal Palace some years ago. Palace went one-goal up ... the City supporters' reaction? They were cheering Palace on because the previous weekend, Palace knocked United out of a cup competition.
    "We don't hate you it's United that we hate!" was the song being sung by the City supporters after Palace scored.

Crazy Mancunians

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

A friend of mine was in Manchester when ManU played against the Hamburger SV. They were in a pub when they heard that the HSV has won and one of them jumped up and cheered, then realized that he was in Manchester and threw an uneasy look at the other guests, but they said "calm down, we are as happy as you, we are Manchester City fans"
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

BattleTag kestegs-1550

Oh...it's a soccer thread....

*slowly backs away*

BattleTag FTITCTAJ

Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    A friend of mine was in Manchester when ManU played against the Hamburger SV. They were in a pub when they heard that the HSV has won and one of them jumped up and cheered, then realized that he was in Manchester and threw an uneasy look at the other guests, but they said "calm down, we are as happy as you, we are Manchester City fans"
    Well, it's not like you would expect to meet Man Utd fans in Manchester. Never happen

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    Oh...it's a soccer thread....

*slowly backs away*
    *waves*

Yeah, I have that generational devotion to the bears. and have friends that are loyal to their NFL teams despite moving around. Even a few friends who still watch baseball have some of that too. it's just that soccer here is so far behind and the teams so forgettable, it's hard to follow--even though i played a lot of soccer when I was young, so I know how hard it is to do a lot of what they're trying to do.

One thing they do need to work on for soccer is the lack of good opportunities to get a beer. in football, they stop all the time, so you can always get a beer. with soccer as soon as you get up to grab a drink, they score and that's the only goal you're going to see that day. If not for DVRs it would be the most frustrating sport to watch ever.

BattleTag kestegs-1550

Quote Originally Posted by Stevinator View Post
    Yeah, I have that generational devotion to the bears. and have friends that are loyal to their NFL teams despite moving around. Even a few friends who still watch baseball have some of that too. it's just that soccer here is so far behind and the teams so forgettable, it's hard to follow--even though i played a lot of soccer when I was young, so I know how hard it is to do a lot of what they're trying to do.

One thing they do need to work on for soccer is the lack of good opportunities to get a beer. in football, they stop all the time, so you can always get a beer. with soccer as soon as you get up to grab a drink, they score and that's the only goal you're going to see that day. If not for DVRs it would be the most frustrating sport to watch ever.
    And that right there is exactly why soccer never got that popular in the US. Marketing, commercials, beer.

BattleTag FTITCTAJ

kegs has a point.

Wait. What?

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

You can have the TV, fridge and toilet in the same room.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!