Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BattleTag Flexy-2748

Re: Gold in D2 vs gold in D3

I think Baalruns (really the only thing most of the players did) were the most boring part of D2. Nothing in D3 is as boring as Baalruns.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RazeBarb View Post
    Nothing in D3 is as boring as Baalruns.
    A D3 Baalrun would actually be exciting

Seriously, there were much more boring things in D2. How long does something take to become boring? I think it's 10 seconds when e.g. shopping for echoing spears while it will certainly take much longer before Baal runs become boring for you.

Besides, what do you expect in Baal runs? If you do them in open bnet games, all you get is XP while the bots and pickit cheaters will take the loot on most cases. I wouldn't call that boring, but unprofitable and frustrating.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

IncGamers Member

I haven't played D2 for a few years, but when I last played (SC ladder), the closest equivalent to gold in D3 is crafting supplies like perfect gems, junk jewels, and low-mid runes (ral particularly, but ort-sol were pretty good). If you knew where to look (ie. not trading channels), then you could get pretty much anything you want for enough of them, including high runes and torches. Gems and such could be farmed fairly easily, and you could very quickly trade for uniques other items far more quickly than it would take to find them yourself, as most items were not worth very much. The situation in D2 was so close to what what has happened in D3, that I was kind of surprised that anyone was surprised.

IncGamers Member

D2 gold isn't useless because it's "easy to get," but because there's no AH and its main use is niche gambling. D3 gold would be nearly as useless if they took away the AH. But not quite as bad, since you'd still need it to upgrade gems (and due to a recent patch, craft).

Baal runs did get boring after awhile, but there were still lots of different lvl85 areas in different acts you could farm, different boss runs/routes and so on. You could just hop act to act and do whatever. D3 = A3 spinning. It doesn't even have the equivalent of a Baal run to get bored of. It's like doing Bloody Runs over and over.

BattleTag nurman-2854

Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    Seriously, there were much more boring things in D2. How long does something take to become boring? I think it's 10 seconds when e.g. shopping for echoing spears while it will certainly take much longer before Baal runs become boring for you.
    Doing 1k mephruns or council runs SP would be more boring.

D2's system was one that favored botters, dupers and hackers.

While D3's system does favor those too, though it makes it alot easier for people who do not play 17 hours a day and/or bot to attain any sort of playable gear. Also, while the runs may look bland in D3, comparing that to just constantly repeating mephs / councils / tc87 areas? I'll pick the variety please.

IncGamers Member

People never mention what the reason is why gold never caught on as a currency in d2. It's because there were caps on how much gold you could hold at one time on your character and stash. From the Arreat Summit:

Your character can carry 10,000 gold per level. For example, a 10th-level character can carry up to 100,000 gold. A level 99 character can carry 990,000 gold. The maximum amount of gold a character can carry with stash is 3,490,000, at level 99. Gold does not share space with items or weapons in your backpack as it did in Diablo.

Thus you wouldn't trade anything for gold that you thought was worth more than ~1 million gold. And gold was so easy to come by so this price control was binding. Why doesn't anyone ever mention this?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    D2 gold isn't useless because it's "easy to get," but because there's no AH and its main use is niche gambling. D3 gold would be nearly as useless if they took away the AH. But not quite as bad, since you'd still need it to upgrade gems (and due to a recent patch, craft).
    I kinda disagree that D3 gold would be useless if they took away the AH. There are still other D3 AH in the web that players do safe trades.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thattly View Post
    I kinda disagree that D3 gold would be useless if they took away the AH. There are still other D3 AH in the web that players do safe trades.
    like where? trading gold and other in-game items are very risky if you do it in forums and such....

I've been thinking about gold in D3 lately, and arguing with Azzure about it. Basically, gold is now a commodity that's only of use because of the GAH. If there wasn't a GAH, would anyone care about gold? The only real in-game purpose for it is upgrading gems, and eventually softcore players have pretty much all the gems they need. Repairs cost almost nothing and crafting isn't that expensive either, compared to how much gold you can pick up so quickly while playing with a high level char.

I don't normally keep track of gold picked up, but testing on the PTR today my achievements were reset, and in a few very quick games with a P81 Paladin, just exploring A1 and A2 and A4 for the increased monster density, I dinged up to the 1m gold pick up achievement well before I was finished. And that was in under two hours, and I was leaving tons of 2-3k gold stacks since it was the PTR so I didn't care.

So, back to my original point. Gold in D3 is only marginally more useful (in game) than it was in D2. There gold was useful for gambling, which was a crap shoot with very long odds to produce something useful, but it made picking up gold worth it once you had high GF, if only because there was nothing else to spend it on but gambling rings/amulets/circlets. In D3, if we didn't have a GAH... gold would be no more useful than it was in D2. You'd only care about it for crafting expenses, and that works exactly like gambling did in D2 -- long term gold sink with very low odds to improve on your gear, but useful since there's nothing else to do with the gold (in a hypothetical no-GAH version).
    --Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    I've been thinking about gold in D3 lately, and arguing with Azzure about it. Basically, gold is now a commodity that's only of use because of the GAH. If there wasn't a GAH, would anyone care about gold? The only real in-game purpose for it is upgrading gems, and eventually softcore players have pretty much all the gems they need. Repairs cost almost nothing and crafting isn't that expensive either, compared to how much gold you can pick up so quickly while playing with a high level char.
    As someone that's never used the GAH, I actually disagree. Or, rather, I agree in theory, but disagree in practice. I don't actually "care" about gold. It's a boring linear number. However, gold does create a "gate" to character progress for me. I've got 5 characters. Each of them have strong gem demands, as well as Archon craft demands. Now, none of those things are particularly expensive, by themselves. But Patch 1.0.7 introduced increased gem recipe drop rates along with the Archon crafts, and I spent the 5 million or so gold I had managed to amass before 1.0.7 hit on crafting higher-level gems or Archon recipe rolls.

The cost to craft ONE star gem is 80k (to make the star) + 50k*3 (3 radiant squares) + 30k*9 (9 perfect squares), which is 500k. That's 1/10th of the gold I collected while getting all 5 characters through Inferno on MP1/MP2. And now that I'm getting flawless stars and perfect stars in my weapons, not to mention other gems elsewhere, that's a huge gold sink that makes gold just as much of a "gate" on upgrading my gems as the drop rates of the "good" gems (i.e., emeralds) themselves.

Right now, after a run, I manage to just about break even in terms of gold collected -- this is on MP2-MP4ish, with vendoring every single blue/yellow that drops, crafting one Archon item per run, and crafting as many gems that character needs up the chain as my supply of flawless squares / gold allows. Which means that I probably amass around 300k gold per run.