Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Gold in D2 vs gold in D3

Because gold was easy to get in D2, it had no value. Trading was done using runes. This "mistake" of the developers was in fact a great discovery. Runes could not be farmed, so - nobody was bored farming.

If there is a currency in some online game, and that currency is valuable and farmable at the same time (in D2 gold was only farmable), this can lead to boredom. When I played D2, I never did Baal runs more than level 80. After that I would level and MF on my own in level 85 areas and - sometimes killing Mephisto, Andariel.

If some people did Baal runs to get items - the boredom level was lower than in D3. Every time the drop was different, perfect items were hard to get, there was more stuff to look after (whites, eth, blues, runes) and there were no broken set or legendary items. It was not something that could be measured in hours like "I have to do 8-9 more hours of this and I am guaranteed an item from the AH even if I don't find anything useful for anyone". This is guaranteed to lead to boredom.

IncGamers Member

Re: Gold in D2 vs gold in D3

Um i think runes were farmed....the countess and hellforge rushing

IncGamers Member

That was not easy like gold farming in D3. Only a few people did that, I find it boring

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Gold farming was easy in D2. Frenzy barb with Lem'ed IK helm, 2x upped Lem'ed Ali Baba (two echoing spears in the weapon switch), Wealth runeword, Chanceguards, Goldwrap, Infernostrides (or rare GF+fire res boots) and some rings and amulets and you are set for nightmare Travincal. That equipment may cost a handful of pgems or two.

There are more important things in D2 to do than gold farming, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Roshi View Post
    and there were no broken set or legendary items
    *chokes up coffee*

In D2, 90% of all uniques and set items were junk.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

IncGamers Member

Yes gold farming was easy but gold was useless so nobody was bored farming gold.
    In D2 all items were useful to someone. The system was perfect. If all items were good - it means they were equally worthless. Only a few were good, but the rest were not useless, like some are in D3 because of wrong stats.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

No, nearly all items aren't worth picking up, even for poor players. Most of them are as good as a random rare item and a few even have difficulties to compare with magical items. For example, why in heaven's sake is Arcanna's or Milabrega's set of any use? Its single pieces are worse than what you can by from an ingame vendor. At the time you complete the set and benefit from all its bonuses, you will certainly have equipment a which is better by so many orders of magnitude that there can be just one word for the set: Junk.

Most other sets have just one or two useful items at the time you meet its reqs. With respect to efficiency, there are probably just three sets which are worth wearing in full IMO at the time they are supposed to be worn: Sigon's, IK and Tal's. I agree that efficiency isn't everything, however.

BTW, I never was rich. At the time I gathered the resources to finish let's say Tal's set, many others already had HRs or items which were worth that much.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

IncGamers Member

1. in d2 you could farm gold, and it wasn't worthless, you could sell it to gamblers. In current state d3 gold doesn't worth that much more, since you have to pay billions for a good item, and you can usually pick up only a few hundred k/hour

2. in d2 you could also farm runes, but since since high runes were duped, lower runes lost a lot from their relative value

3. in d2 most of set and unique items were also trash. A big difference though, that there were many uniques, that were really good even with below average roll (shako, mara, windforce)

4. d2 was really far from perfect and with the current state of d3, I feel the difference isn't too big. Both are heavily influenced by bots and dupers, and highest items are unique, runeword or crafted / legendary, set or crafted only we have account bound crafted in d3.

you either haven't played with d2 that much, or you have some rose-tinted glasses on.

IncGamers Member

I don't care about hackers. If they wanted, they could fix it. A game is not broken because of hackers. D3 could remove all bots and I still would not play it, it's boring.

Runes could not be farmed - except by doing boring stuff like Hellforge running alts or countess runs. But even that did not guarantee anything. Sell gold to gamblers? With a character specially equipped for gold farming? Sure is boring - and on top of that you get nothing valuable. I mean - if someone was gambling or selling gold to gamblers it was a side thing. There was no farming in D2. Killing Baal or Meph 1000 times is not farming, you are not guaranteed anything.

Gold is not useless in d2. The best items I ever acquired myself were those I had gambled. As Krisch says, gf builds are easy to make and efficient. My favourite one is gf necro summoner with CE.
    God, how I miss d2-style gambling in d3!

IncGamers Member

Lets try once again:

"Because gold was easy to get in D2, it had no value. " false, you could always sell gold to gamblers

"Runes could not be farmed" false, its pretty easy to rush another player to hellforge and get up to gul (pul guranteed), then cube it up

"If some people did Baal runs to get items - the boredom level was lower than in D3" baal runs were boring imo

"there were no broken set or legendary items" completely false, if you mean sets and uniques

"In D2 all items were useful to someone. The system was perfect." completely false, lets see: there were some whites that could be used for runewords: only a few had real value (like 3soc Ap 15% def), that maybe less then 0.01% of whites. There were some godly blues (jewelers xx of something, like JMOD) I think that prolly less then 0.001% of blues. The rares were about the same quality like in d3, probably 1/1000 worths using. Uniques were binary: either worthless or very good, range was obviously quite a bit smaller. Set items and set were generally much worse: there were only a few combos (like angelic) or pieces (guillaume helm, mavina diadem, trang oul gloves)and ik+tal for endgame. And there were the runewords, most of which supposedly very hard to complete, in reality you could sell pgems and low runes and get duped runes freakin cheap. And crafting, which was only more interesting, cause it wasn't account bound.