Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    D3 Amazon &
    Demon Hunter Moderator
    BattleTag Dacar92-1368

Diablo 3 AH to close permanently

It is somewhat of a surprise to me. However considering Jay Wilson's recent comments it is less so. But I am still surprised and this is a real change to the game. Real change requires bold action. This is a bold action. I want to see how many of us here that are still active like this decision and how many who are not still active have thoughts on it. Here are some questions for discussion:

Is this a surprise to you?
    How does this change your game?
    Is this admitting any kind of defeat?
    Will they pump item drops at all?
    Will you use our trading forums here?
    How will item valuation be decided initially? Just whatever someone will pay?
    Will the currency be in game gold?

Blizzard to close AH
    Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
    Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!

IncGamers Member SuggestiveName's Avatar

Re: Diablo 3 AH to close permanently

That's a terrible April Fools joke if it is one

IncGamers Member

- Im not playing d3 anymore, havent played for some months now and I dont think ill play d3 ever again.

In my opinion the AH made flipping items quite lucrative if you had the knowledge. And quite easy to do quickly. This turned the item game into an ah-game. Not a grinding game.
    In d2 it was also possible to get rich by trading / flipping items, but noone ever complained about that. To some players trading and being a good trader was an important part of D2. In d2 you where often conducting trades while farming,(at least i was) waiting for whispers or mail replies regarding trades .
    - IMO a player controlled economy is more fun than a designer controlled economy.
    Besides im sure itll help sites like this (incgamers), since trade activity will increase when the ah disappears.

However, i dont like the skill system (no char is unique, the only difference is level and items...) , the damage system (spell damage depends on how big your axe is..????) or the level system (from level 1 to 60 in no time, and then paragon lvl..)

But what i think is my biggest issue with the game, is the ecomony from the perspective of stability vs droprates.
    - Blizzard stated before the launch of d3 that they wanted a stable economy, e.i. no ladder reset.
    Without an occasional economy reset, the best traders will either become insanely rich, or: the non-traders (solo players) will become extremely poor. I dont se any way the droprates could satisfy both a casual solo player and an active grinder/trader in the long run. Either the solo player will have no way of completing game, or the grinder will have it way too easy to enjoy it.

So either theyll need to implement a ladder system or patch in ways that would reset at least parts of the ecomony (The later is something i wouldnt like at all as a player, since my items worth would be ensured to drop with each new patch)...
    Or the game will suffer from an imbalanced (but stable) ecomony...

Regardless, i dont think ill play d3 again, but i do enjoy the debate hehe

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

And a great rejoice is heard from a moderator of the Europe trading forum!

I would have been happy enough with a "No AH" checkbox upon character creation, but this is even better when just considering my personal taste.

If it's an April Fool's joke, then it's a cruel one.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

BattleTag TheNix-6417

Killing AH will kill the game for all but the "elite" players.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNix View Post
    Killing AH will kill the game for all but the "elite" players.
    Yeah, you know those self-found guys are really all sorts of ultra-dudebro-hardcore and routinely facerolling MP10.

BattleTag TheNix-6417

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan E View Post
    Yeah, you know those self-found guys are really all sorts of ultra-dudebro-hardcore and routinely facerolling MP10.
    You do know there are other communities of D3 players out there besides this one? Shock horror, some of them are not even in internet communities. How many copies of D3 have sold? How many people are regular posters here? Is there a unanimous feeling even within this community that the AH and/or RMAH should be shut down? A vocal minority scream continuously that the AH is ruining THEIR experience of the game and demanding it be changed. The game was sold with this feature and many people expect it to be there. What of their experience of the game? Oh, that's right, "me first" rules, doesn't it? I am ambivalent about AH, I may have used it a dozen times, but it is a part of the game, whether you, or anyone else, likes it or not.

IncGamers Member

I don't really care about the AH -- I've never used it, so I don't really care what happens to it.

However, what I do care about is the implication that the AH is some kind of hyper-demagogic leveler. The game is plenty easy playing self-found, so it's pretty hyperbolic to indicate that the game will be "killed" if something that's in no way necessary to play the game is removed.

Anyway, the AH is certainly not ruining my experience, though I do find it disappointing that drop rates are lower than they otherwise would be, and affixes seem to have been homogenized to make it easier to create "builds" based around these lower drop rates.

BattleTag ADJMan-1164

In my opinion, the Auction House is too important a feature to just remove. It makes trading much easier and more streamlined than it ever was in D2. The real issue with the auction house is that the item system is crap. There are not enough modifiers that are worth anything that making the trading process streamlined caused more harm than good. Since there are only a few modifiers worth anything the piece of crap chat would work just fine, that is if you could chat with more than a few thousand players at once. The Auction House would really shine if there was a solid mix of crappy<good<godly items, as opposed to the mediocre mix of crappy>godly items.