Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Jay Wilson says AH was a mistake

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/28/di...+%28Joystiq%29

Personally, I think there are several other big itemization mistakes (legendaries, affix balance, crafting, drop rates) that should have been solved (or not exist in the first place) prior to judging how the AH works out for the health of the game...

But, I suppose its time for a million "I told you so!!!!"'s

IncGamers Member

Re: Jay Wilson says AH was a mistake

One of many.

I just can't believe they never played Diablo 2 lol. I can't get over that and won't get over that. Clearly if they put any time into playing the legend they were creating a sequel for they would have realized that every item gets traded at some level WITHOUT a global network to do so.

Civerbs Cudgel and Sigons set and hsarus belt and boots just to name a few.

Yes, the items hurt the game more than the AH did, but to think "they'd only post high level items" is just not smart.

IncGamers Member

Heh, those things weren't even necessarily traded. You could genuinely get bucketloads of the stuff by joining random "FREEEE" games.

BattleTag Flexy-2748

I guess removing the RMAH and GAH entirely via a patch and upping the quality of drops would please a lot of players.
    But it would also enrage many because the game was sold with those features and people will sue Blizz for taking them away.

D3 Amazon &
    Demon Hunter Moderator
    BattleTag Dacar92-1368

Well, I don't think people would or even could sue. It's their game, we only paid for a license to play it on our machines. I think they can do what they please. But I am pretty sure it's here to stay. But its good to hear someone from Blizzard say this, even though he is supposedly no longer a part of the team.
    Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
    Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!

BattleTag Leviathan-1356

I feel like this was said, if not quite as explicitly, previously, so it's not really new news. However, it affirms what we all were already saying anyway. The main question is can we fix it living with some version of the AH permanently. What if a player can only post a max of one or two items and then the drop chances are raised significantly? What if the game drops more gold and they lower the ceiling of the max buyout?

Just some thoughts.

IncGamers Member

They should really just orient the drop rates as though the AH didn't exist, and then leave the AH there, if they don't want to add non-AH modes into the game.

That way the AH becomes a purely optional ez-mode, beyond what it already is (where people get frustrated by the extreme randomization and try to collect gold to use on the AH).

I know this likely won't happen to preserve some "investment" of those suckers that bought RMAH goods, but it really should in order to ease the drop rate issues. The thing is, if they add more interesting itemization to the game, with the current randomization and meh drop rates, it'll take self-found players eons to assemble cool "fun itemization playstyle" sets, so they need to buff drop rates of cool/useful stuff if they want people to be able to avoid the AH and gear up. But buffing drop rates, by definition, devalues what already exists, so they're kind of screwed -- either keep the AH important and make the item hunt relatively unsatisfying, or neuter the AH's prominence to improve the game.

BattleTag Leviathan-1356

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan E View Post
    They should really just orient the drop rates as though the AH didn't exist, and then leave the AH there, if they don't want to add non-AH modes into the game.

That way the AH becomes a purely optional ez-mode, beyond what it already is (where people get frustrated by the extreme randomization and try to collect gold to use on the AH).

I know this likely won't happen to preserve some "investment" of those suckers that bought RMAH goods, but it really should in order to ease the drop rate issues. The thing is, if they add more interesting itemization to the game, with the current randomization and meh drop rates, it'll take self-found players eons to assemble cool "fun itemization playstyle" sets, so they need to buff drop rates of cool/useful stuff if they want people to be able to avoid the AH and gear up. But buffing drop rates, by definition, devalues what already exists, so they're kind of screwed -- either keep the AH important and make the item hunt relatively unsatisfying, or neuter the AH's prominence to improve the game.
    In the second scenario of your last sentence, I can see how that playerbase that purchased items might feel that it's a bit unfair to have these new and improved droprates, but, hasn't their money already been spent? Perhaps they've come to terms with the fact that they spent money to get their items (and it's not like some of those early items that were bought for $250 would still garner that much) and that the value will eventually depreciate, so neutering the AH's usefulness and making items practically worth nothing outside of perfectly rolled items might not hit as hard as we may think?

IncGamers Member

I've never even clicked the auction house button so this seemed kind of obvious to me.
    All this talk of economy, what ruins it, what things are worth and adjusted drop rates affect me even though they shouldn't.