Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Grail, Astreon's and Tyrael's left - Baal or Pindle?

Fabian and other guys, thanks for exhaustive answers.

The idea of changing between blizz/AT and lite/Pit sorcs seems great to me, I'd probably even choose blizz but I've spent so much time in At that I'm simply bored with it. Switching - most reasonable idea. Since u need 117fcr on lite and almost none (with entry to AT close to wp), I could go with much more mf on blizz than on lite. but the number of bosspacks is a different matter and it complicates the choice, though. switching seems ok.

Killing only bosspacks? it's a new idea for me, what if I miss some of them? how to spot a bosspack quickly (they usually have different color and sometimes aura, but not always)? Even though, I will try it. Off me goes

Colour, aura, speed and the release of bolts are the main clues that I can think of.

All hail to Fabian the MF king!!!

Truly inspiring post, I have a bit of a question though and I apologise to OP if i derail this thread somewhat (congrats on the grail -2 btw, that is preety awesome )

Having rouglhy 70 items missing from my grail is it worth using a higher p/setting (3 or 5) in AT with blizz sorc for filling my grail gaps or like you say going p/1 and hitting bosses only? Due to the nature of my play style and blizzards effect i tend to take down a lot more than just the bosses/champs but is p/1 truly the way to go? XP is of no real importance to my AT runner to be honest.

^If you really really want Tyrael's, and don't care for exp or runes that much, never go above p1 I would say.

As for recognizing boss packs: Learn your map. Find one where the packs tend to be close together, close to the entrance,a nd include the chest area in your run since there is always a boss near there. W/ time you'll be able to tell if a pack is present, and if it isn't where it likely is going to be. Try a few different routes for a map you enjoy, and pick the most efficient of those.

Maybe i worded that wrong...

I know exactly where the bosspacks can spawn on my map and 50% of the time they can all spawn in 2 areas i.e 3 bosspacks together but due to their gangs there is a tonne of stuff on screen hence i kill alot more than just the bosses, if that makes sense? My map is awesome, 1 tele from wp to trap door, 3 teles then its either 1 or 2 bosspacks on a corner, if none are there i know they are either at a crossroads with another pack or are at the chest which is west directly below the entrance. If they are not there either i know they are at the chest with a guaranteed 2 packs so sometimes i can get 4 packs on one screen. the others are always paired up in a corner about 7 teles from the chest.

IncGamers Member

Twibz,

Well it's very tough to give a credible answer without knowing a lot more details. I don't know how many monsters you kill for instance, and it's pretty critical to get it roughly right if you want to draw accurate conclusions. If you kill 5.2 bosspacks per AT run (which I believe to be a roughly decent estimate from what I've read/talked to people/etc), and that each boss pack has 5 minions (dunno if this is right) and that you kill as many regular monsters as minions, and you do a p1 run in 50 seconds and carry 600 MF...... then you'd do better running at p3 as long as the runs are shorter than ~54.8 seconds. Running on p5 would be better as long as the runs are shorter than ~57.8 seconds. Running on p7 would be better as long as the runs are shorter than ~59.8 seconds.

Are these numbers meaningful for you? Well, likely, no. I have no idea how many minions and regular monsters you kill, nor how long your runs take (or how much MF you carry). The above example might give you a rough idea though.

Of course, if you read the above and conclude that p3 or p5 or p7 indeed is better than p1, also consider that it's possible you could do p1 runs where you kill fewer regular monsters, but in 44 seconds. Which would be pretty sweet!

Thanks for the response Fabian, yeah I guess i will have to try and get some meaningful figures going and then report back.

5.2 boss packs average? I'll run this myself but im sure its more 6 for me (i could be wrong as im at work just trying to recall an average run in my mind). Infact im sure ive had 7 boss/champ packs in a run sometimes... Oh and would you factor in a monster shrine at all? I get this roughly 1in20 runs.

Quote Originally Posted by dizelsky View Post
    Killing only bosspacks? it's a new idea for me, what if I miss some of them? how to spot a bosspack quickly (they usually have different color and sometimes aura, but not always)? Even though, I will try it. Off me goes
    Well, if you miss them they won't drop Tyrael's

Spotting your boss packs shouldn't be too hard. As Kitteh said: color, speed, bolts, aura. That's a good start. If all else fails and you still doubt whether or not a pack is a boss pack, you can check with the mouse. However, after some runs you'll learn exactly where the boss packs usually spawn and will be able to find them without any effort at all.

IncGamers Member

Twibz,

I think literally everyone I've ever talked to is sure their AT boss average is over 6. Then I ask them to write down the number each run for 50 runs. Then they start doing full clears, visiting every corner of the map, taking 15 seconds extra per run, just to prove to themselves they're not crazy, and then they're at like 5.4 anyway. Then they get mad.

The above may be a slight exaggeration, but also not really. And yeah go ahead and count bosses generated by monster shrines.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
    Twibz,

I think literally everyone I've ever talked to is sure their AT boss average is over 6. Then I ask them to write down the number each run for 50 runs. Then they start doing full clears, visiting every corner of the map, taking 15 seconds extra per run, just to prove to themselves they're not crazy, and then they're at like 5.4 anyway. Then they get mad.

The above may be a slight exaggeration, but also not really. And yeah go ahead and count bosses generated by monster shrines.
    I think basically what is clear is that i need to get some figures down and then report back with findings, my assumptions are weak without facts, but thank you very much for the feedback it is appreciated.
    Last edited by Twibz; 26-03-2013 at 11:05. Reason: re-worded