Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

VirtualBox on Ubuntu Linux

So, has anyone given this a go? I never seem to have got 'round to it. I'd be interested in knowing what performance is like, particularly for something 5-years-plus old, and whether there's significant difference between VM'ed XP and VM'ed Win7, assuming enough resources to provide for either.

Essentially, I'm tired of having to dual-boot every flippin' time I want to run something natively from Windoze, particularly older games. WINE is an excellent product, but I don't intend to spend the cash on CrossOver from CodeWeavers if I only use it a couple of times a month. I'd much prefer to fire up a VM that is tweaked for gaming or... well, gaming at least for the immediate future. There's a few business apps I find myself using, including Visio, Dreamweaver, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and and older version of Corel Presentations (damn you, Corel, for selling out Linux-based WP :shakefist: )

Re: VirtualBox on Ubuntu Linux

I don't know what all those words mean, but I have an XBox. It's pretty good, says "elite" right on there, and it's spelled right.

EDIT: Also, we consume a lot of WINE. My Bro likes it more than me. I prefer BEER.

Worked well enough for my purposes. Never tried gaming in a VM beyond some simple side scrollers though. Also, haven't used Ubuntu since shortly after Unity came on the scene. Never cared for it, so been using Mint or Fedora, depending on whether I feel like using debian or red hat. CentOS if I'm setting up a server.

The real limitations on virtualization is what kind of hardware you're doing it on. You're sharing what you have between the two OSes plus whatever software you're running within those OSes. If you're machine can handle that, then you've already passed the biggest hurdle.

I've done the opposite, running VM Ubuntu on Win7, and with a comp about 5+ years old. It worked quite well, but I never did any real gaming on it. I was on a major VM bender a couple years ago, I even played around with a VM hackintosh setup. THAT was a mess! Thankfully, I realized Mac can suck it.

I've also run WinXP VM and Win7 VM from Win7. The hardest I've worked it was on D2, but both handled that effortlessly. Running WinXP in a VM certainly gives more headroom, but I've found the compatibility with older software to be a little better in Win7, as long as you run everything as admin (watches jm's head asplode).

Quote Originally Posted by Glurin View Post
    Never tried gaming in a VM beyond some simple side scrollers though.
    Obviously I'd be looking for more capability, but I suspect the real trick is going to be ActiveX. When I've used WINE it simply doesn't handle it very well. The stuff I'd want it to work for is along the lines of Fallout/2, UFO/2/3, MOM, MOO/2, but if it could handle it then I'd be thinking of GW, crowbar, Morrowind, Oblivion, and maybe Silk Road Online.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glurin View Post
    Also, haven't used Ubuntu since shortly after Unity came on the scene. Never cared for it, so been using Mint or Fedora, depending on whether I feel like using debian or red hat. CentOS if I'm setting up a server.
    Yeah, can't say I really care for Unity either, but I'm thinking I'd just turn it off rather than go with Mint. Mint works very well on an underpowered platform though; I've got it right next to me on a Centrino laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
    I've done the opposite, running VM Ubuntu on Win7, and with a comp about 5+ years old. It worked quite well, but I never did any real gaming on it.
    I really can't see the point, running the superior OS in a VM while running the massively inferior and bloated OS the host. We use VM'ed Windoze servers quite a lot, though they're on VMWare and I don't generally get access to the host.

Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
    as long as you run everything as admin (watches jm's head asplode).
    Spoiler

VMware is a decent product. You can get the basic software for free, but the good stuff you have to pay for, and it ain't cheap. From what you described here though, I think VMware player (which is free) might suit your needs if you wanted to go that way rather than VirtualBox. This would be more a case of personal preference IMO though.

I don't think ActiveX would be a problem in any VM. WINE is basically an emulator of sorts, where as a VM is whatever the guest OS is.

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    I really can't see the point, running the superior OS in a VM while running the massively inferior and bloated OS the host. We use VM'ed Windoze servers quite a lot, though they're on VMWare and I don't generally get access to the host.
    I wasn't trying to recommend it (to you ), I was just saying that the opposite scenario seemed to work quite well, as in:
    if A + B = C, then B + A = C.

ActiveX? You mean DirectX? Anyway, yeah, like Glurin said the OS is actually running in the VM, not being emulated, so any requirements like that should be smooth sailing. However, since the VM software is a hardware emulator, you could run into a situation where hardware features needed for certain OS thingies like the video shaders used (required :\) in Win7/Vista may not be emulated well. Thinking back on it, I'd say run XP on the VM, forget Win7. Everything still runs on it anyway and would give you better overhead. VirtualBox was actually built around running XP, so it is well-optimized for it. I don't have much experience with VMWare since it won't accept the virtualization setting on my AMD chip, so I couldn't say anything about it. MacOS also hates AMD.

To be clear, and brief, I'm not interested in VMWare at home. I don't particularly like it in the first place, and it would be a little too much like taking work home with me...