Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52
  1. #11
    D3 Amazon &
    Demon Hunter Moderator
    Dacar92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    BattleTag Dacar92-1368
    Posts
    10,079

    Re: OT: EA botches Sim City Launch

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    The sad thing is is that I cant see this changing DRM. You think Blizzard cares at this point about the launch? Not at all. I wonder if they will be wishing for Error 37 when the launch the expansion pack if sales dont meet their expectations?
    BA, you're unfortunately right. The D3 launch is almost ancient history now, relatively speaking. People have short memories. Due to the number of games sold, when you look at revenue only, the game can be hailed as a success. However I think that in D3's case, much of fandom is unhappy with the game and when the expansion is released, all of us who still come to this forum will buy it. Plus many others will, too. Perhaps to give the game one last chance. In that aspect the expansion may also be hailed as a success. But my point is that due to the game's lack of staying power in the eyes of many, the expansion release will cause those old memories of launch week to come back to the fore and people will say "remember launch week......that better not happen again" I think it will haunt Blizz but not to the extent that is hurts sales very much.

    Quote Originally Posted by themeros View Post
    People tend to exaggerate about the "evil" of DRM because of the launches. Every game estabilizes after some time, the only problem is the launch week. That is what companies need to learn, to not frustrate their most avid fan base on launch week.
    I don't think people complain about the "evil" of DRM. I guess some do. But for the most part people understand the need for DRM. But some DRM is so overbearing in the way it works. Online DRM is kind of a pain because you can't play on the train, or the plane. Or in the car traveling to Gramdma's house. Simcity is the kind of game that is played in fits and starts. I played since Simcity 2000 and I sometimes played 10 minutes at a time, or you left it running to make some cash. The problem is that companies like Blizz and EA have denied that being online only is, in fact, DRM. Both simply said it is the way they want the game played. Or it will give a better player experience. or in the case of EA they said so that players can share resources and cities can be "connected" to each other. They like Blizzard, denied that it was a form of DRM.
    We all know different but it's still the fact that they feel like they have to deceive us. Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by themeros View Post
    In the future every game will have online only requirements. No amount of petitions and "refunds" will make companies go back on that. What we need to do is to prepare ourselves and only play such games after the launch fiasco. Then we can all be happy.
    I hope you're wrong. But if you're not, then at least be honest with us and tell us that we need to play online to reduce piracy.
    Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
    Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!

  2. #12
    D2 Assassin, Barbarian
    & Single Player & SP Trading
    Thyiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shooting from the lip since 1970
    Posts
    14,666

    Re: OT: EA botches Sim City Launch

    I'm a long-time player of Sim City (C64 anyone), but I shall not be buying this because of the online-only component.

    Recently, I had a MMO which I had played for nearly five years, be shut down. Everything I'd done, everything I'd planned, gone. I won't make that mistake again.

    I won't get dragged into online only, only to find that I have increasingly poor connections, lousy support and then disconnection.

    The piracy argument is a fallacy; if someone wants to pirate, then they will. Most of the SPF (who could easily pirate as we play off-line), own multiple copies of D2 and LoD.

    I have absolutely zero issue paying for my software. A fair price for good work. But I won't give money on the hope that someone will maintain their servers past the period I wish to play. To me it's like renting a game. I won't do that.

    Yep, still play some of the games on the C64 and A1200!

    City of Titans - Smashed the goal - More info here


    "Retail made me learn to despise humanity and welcome the apocalypse. Still waiting world."
    - Kellic Youdontneedmylastname



  3. #13
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    632

    Re: OT: EA botches Sim City Launch

    Quote Originally Posted by themeros View Post
    In the future every game will have online only requirements. No amount of petitions and "refunds" will make companies go back on that. What we need to do is to prepare ourselves and only play such games after the launch fiasco. Then we can all be happy.
    i partially disagree. cod: elite, bnet and EA origins,etc are not just games designed to sell you endless products, but services as well. more importantly, services which requires customer service and support. costs which would be staggering to a small company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacar92 View Post
    Both simply said it is the way they want the game played. Or it will give a better player experience. or in the case of EA they said so that players can share resources and cities can be "connected" to each other. They like Blizzard, denied that it was a form of DRM.
    EA really said that? lulz..that certainly is reminiscent of jay's remark about always online being the best game experience and why would anyone want it any other way.

  4. #14
    D3 Amazon &
    Demon Hunter Moderator
    Dacar92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    BattleTag Dacar92-1368
    Posts
    10,079

    Re: OT: EA botches Sim City Launch

    Quote Originally Posted by Thyiad View Post
    Recently, I had a MMO which I had played for nearly five years, be shut down. Everything I'd done, everything I'd planned, gone. I won't make that mistake again.

    I have absolutely zero issue paying for my software. A fair price for good work. But I won't give money on the hope that someone will maintain their servers past the period I wish to play. To me it's like renting a game. I won't do that.
    This is the best reason I have seen for not playing an online only game. After all the time you put into a game, the owner of the servers decides it's not worth the cost of maintaining the servers any longer and poof, you're done. I also dislike being told I cannot play a game any longer. I can still play Simcity 2000 if I wanted or Simcity 4. But will I be able to play the new Simcity in 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by mr punk View Post
    EA really said that? lulz..that certainly is reminiscent of jay's remark about always online being the best game experience and why would anyone want it any other way.
    Yes they did. I think I read it in one of the articles I linked in the OP or perhaps on their forums.
    Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
    Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!

  5. #15
    IncGamers Member SnickerSnack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SA TX US
    BattleTag mordell-1747
    Posts
    6,603

    Re: OT: EA botches Sim City Launch

    Quote Originally Posted by Thyiad View Post
    I'm a long-time player of Sim City (C64 anyone), but I shall not be buying this because of the online-only component.

    Recently, I had a MMO which I had played for nearly five years, be shut down. Everything I'd done, everything I'd planned, gone. I won't make that mistake again.

    I won't get dragged into online only, only to find that I have increasingly poor connections, lousy support and then disconnection.

    The piracy argument is a fallacy; if someone wants to pirate, then they will. Most of the SPF (who could easily pirate as we play off-line), own multiple copies of D2 and LoD.

    I have absolutely zero issue paying for my software. A fair price for good work. But I won't give money on the hope that someone will maintain their servers past the period I wish to play. To me it's like renting a game. I won't do that.

    Yep, still play some of the games on the C64 and A1200!
    That's pretty ****ed up. The decent thing to do would be to release an offline patch and then let players download their characters. Of course, that doesn't make any money.

    More on-topic: what bothers me most is that they insist upon lying. We know that online only is for DRM, they know online only is for DRM. Why can't they just say it? It's not that big of a deal and we already know.

    Well, when I get tired of D3, it's back to Skyrim, Fallout, D2, and Torchlight 2 for me.

  6. #16
    D2 Assassin, Barbarian
    & Single Player & SP Trading
    Thyiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shooting from the lip since 1970
    Posts
    14,666

    Re: OT: EA botches Sim City Launch

    Quote Originally Posted by SnickerSnack View Post
    That's pretty ****ed up. The decent thing to do would be to release an offline patch and then let players download their characters. Of course, that doesn't make any money.
    Actually, they were offered money for the intellectual property by several parties. They refused to return those calls, but released a statement that they had 'investigated all avenues'. O'rly. Mind you, that's the fifth game they've closed and moth-balled the intellectual property. Apparently keeping a profitable game alive isn't in their business model.

    The kicker was they closed down this family-orientated game and one of their upcoming titles seems to be based around characters who look 13, are dressed like hookers and walk like strippers. Guess that's the big market nowadays ...

    Well I wonder when their other games (Aion and Lineage2 included) will be closed too.

    And disengaging rant mode on that topic.

    I was watching a Let's Play on YouTube for Sim City and while it has some nice quality of life features, that's about it. One of the Let's Plays was done by a guy who plays on a Minecraft server. A bunch of them started up on SC at the same time. At least one has *never* managed to connect to the servers.

    For those of you who like Minecraft, you might find this video interesting. It's the latest version of Sim City but made in Minecraft. The video is only just over a minute long but you may like it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnZvOUvxRws

    City of Titans - Smashed the goal - More info here


    "Retail made me learn to despise humanity and welcome the apocalypse. Still waiting world."
    - Kellic Youdontneedmylastname



  7. #17
    IncGamers Member sneakytails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    319

    Re: OT: EA botches Sim City Launch

    The very notion of security in a online only game is a fallacy. Sony was hacked and I have a close family member whos D3 Hardcore wizzard was completely cleaned out by hackers. The hackers friends are still on the friends list. Throw in the gold bots and we have a winner here!

    Now with WARDEN and you get legit players getting banned, I myself was banned and that same family member is also currently banned from the RMAH for crafting and selling legit hand crossbows. Legit players who have to beg for the right to play the game they paid for again.

    Hackers use the INTERNET to ply their trade, by keeping us all in the same boat with them that only leaves us exposed to their exploits.

    Saying that security and Online only requirements are essential for us to have a positive experience with a game is pure bunk.

    So to those who argued with me before release about how d3 would be hack and bot free, you were wrong along with blizzard.

    The most secure, lag free and portable gaming experience for me is still single player D2.

  8. #18
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    136

    Re: OT: EA botches Sim City Launch

    Whatever. Number 1 selling game of the quarter. Gamers are the worst people. The worst.

  9. #19
    IncGamers Member sneakytails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    319

    Re: OT: EA botches Sim City Launch

    Its simple.

    D3 is the titanic, they know where they are headed (sort of), they know where the icebergs are (finally), they simply have to avoid them (hopefully).

    Nothing is unsinkable. Nothing.

  10. #20
    D3 Amazon &
    Demon Hunter Moderator
    Dacar92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    BattleTag Dacar92-1368
    Posts
    10,079

    Re: OT: EA botches Sim City Launch

    Quote Originally Posted by BryanM View Post
    Whatever. Number 1 selling game of the quarter. Gamers are the worst people. The worst.
    They're selling games based on reputation. Not because everyone loves the new iteration.

    The only reason D3 and even Simcity do so well is because of past games that were successful.

    Now tell that to Blizz or EA nd you'll get a different reason/answer.
    Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
    Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •