Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    D3 Amazon &
    Demon Hunter Moderator
    BattleTag Dacar92-1368

OT: EA botches Sim City Launch

I am not sure how many of you guys plan to play Sim City. I wanted to play since I have played the series since Sim City 2000. But I didn't buy after I found out that there was an "always online" feature. EA claim it is not related to DRM (ie: Blizzard anyone?). No, it is so that everyone's city can be attached to everyone elses city. Anyway, I waited to buy the game and boy am I glad I did. Here are two Incgamer's articles worth checking out:

Sim City Launch not going exactly to plan

and

Amazon stops selling copies of Sim City

The official and fan forums are flooded with people complaining about not being able to play and EA community reps doing their job explaining that new servers are being added and what ever other placating they can do.

I see many parallels to the launch of Diablo 3. I just thought some of you might like to know about this. Blizzard is not the only company who is going this route and also not the only company claiming that always online is not meant as a form of DRM.

Is it? How many more always online games are you going to chance? Are you getting tired of this? Do you care? I am interested to see how the Diablo fan base see this new development with a completely different game.
    Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
    Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!

IncGamers Member

Re: OT: EA botches Sim City Launch

It's kind of funny -- I was having the same discussion with a friend earlier -- where he said he was excited about SimCity but hadn't been following its development, whereas I'd just vaguely seen gaming press about how EA was EAing all over it. I doubt he buys it, now.

I think always online is pretty garbage, in general. However, I wanted to play this game beyond disliking that "feature," so I bought it anyway. But, in general, I think there are very few franchises that would make me buy an always-online game. As I'm not interested in multiplayer or "social" features, it's both superfluous and annoying to me -- any justification for it is already pointless to me because I would be hard pressed to care any less about any boons from online connectivity.

BattleTag Azzure-1989

EA/Maxis have just set back the pro-DRM movement 5 years. No one will tolerate DRM after this saga.

Don't worry, they were following the launch of D3 closely and wouldn't repeat any of Blizzard's mistakes...

http://kotaku.com/5915377/like-diabl...ine-connection

D3 Amazon &
    Demon Hunter Moderator
    BattleTag Dacar92-1368

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Jaroh View Post
    Don't worry, they were following the launch of D3 closely and wouldn't repeat any of Blizzard's mistakes...

http://kotaku.com/5915377/like-diabl...ine-connection

That's funny. Good memory.

More bad press.

Yahoo

The main Yahoo site had a headline that said "Good luck trying to play this game"
    Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
    Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!

BattleTag Flexy-2748

At first I wanted to pirate it because I heard only complaints about how small the cities/regions are compared to SC4.
    Now I don't even want to pirate this load of crap.

BEST DRM EVER!

All other things aside, being compared to EA is not a very flattering thing, at least not to me.

I don't care if it's online only though, as long as it works obviously. I can always break out some oldies but goldies if I lose my internet.

The sad thing is is that I cant see this changing DRM. You think Blizzard cares at this point about the launch? Not at all. I wonder if they will be wishing for Error 37 when the launch the expansion pack if sales dont meet their expectations?

IncGamers Member

Shucks, I was really looking forward to trying out SimCity with my new joystick.

People tend to exaggerate about the "evil" of DRM because of the launches. Every game estabilizes after some time, the only problem is the launch week. That is what companies need to learn, to not frustrate their most avid fan base on launch week.

People bought the game knowing it was DRM, so they were "ok" with it. What screws everything up is when you wait so long for a game and then you can't play it. Then DRM becomes an "issue" for people. Even though I was angry at the Diablo 3 launch, I'm ok with DRM.

In the future every game will have online only requirements. No amount of petitions and "refunds" will make companies go back on that. What we need to do is to prepare ourselves and only play such games after the launch fiasco. Then we can all be happy.

Let's be real, companies will not buy extra hardware just for launch weeks. After some time, the number of players drops dramatically and estabilizes and all that hardware would just sit there. They buy based on what was projected as the "average amount" of players.
    What companies should do is rent extra hardware until the amount of players estabilizes.

I play on a PC at home with a fast network so I don't see DRM as a problem. I just want companies to be entirely prepared for launch weeks.