Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Fizoo-1366

Re: Why the proposed item changes don't change a thing.

I think everyone knows they could fix endgame issues in a few weeks if they contracted out and hired the d3 veteran players to lay out a bunch of selected changes, build a patch around their balance ideas, have it playtested and met with public approval in a beta test, and released. But its just not a priority.

IncGamers Member

Well, let's see what the community thinks.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/top...49?page=16#305

IncGamers Member

What they could do is make "item levels" - ie when you gain an item you get "0 stats".. Then by using it for X time it gets lets and you can "improve" it, in a way YOU WISH TO DO... (Maybe a bit random like 3 random improvements and you choose 1 of them). The when selling items they would revert back to the "0 state".

This would hit two birds with 1 stone: you get more customizing of characters and actually BUILDING a character becomes possible. AND it would be a "soft account bound" of items, you CAN sell it, but you still have to increase something when you buy an item.

It also doesn't has so many problems as diablo 2 level's system: you can no "partly reset" your account instead of having to "start all over" in d2 (upto 1.13). The best of two worlds in my opinion actually.

The only major drawback is that the stack is way to limited for such a thing. Ideally you wish to create a LOT of different funny weapons, weapons you think "hey this might be a useful combination at some point" you wish to store. As such the stack size should be a LOT larger than it currently is (like 10 times larger).. So people can actually start a "personal collection".

IncGamers Member

I feel like eventually they'll get to the point where many legendaries will have stats that can't be found anywhere else. So instead of just juggling numbers you'll be choosing between something with cannot be frozen or 200% MF or something like that. Basically the same type of thing that LOD added to D2 except probably to a greater extent since D2 already had some unique stats on uniques.

I'm sure it's been mentioned a million times, but I feel that unique stats are what it takes to make legendaries feel really cool. Take Titan's Revenge from D2 for example. It was obviously fairly common but still in demand because it was a great weapon for any javazon. Of course you'd eventually want to find them with a really high ED% and ethereal, but if you're on your first hardcore character or even your first hardcore amazon, you'd be happy to have them.

The uniqueness makes the item.

Yes, and at the same time they really need to get away from the stats of crit chance, crit damage and your main stat on the rares and blues. Also we need something to do with the white items....

This game cannot just be about legendaries, A player needs to have solid reasons for checking ALL loot before getting rid of it. There needs to be more interesting items in game of all types.

Such a long way to go.

BattleTag Flexy-2748

Quote Originally Posted by sneakytails View Post
    This game cannot just be about legendaries, A player needs to have solid reasons for checking ALL loot before getting rid of it. There needs to be more interesting items in game of all types.
    Hmm, I don't think so.
    If legendaries and sets are rarer than other items, they should be better.

Yeah I agree, they should be rare. I am just saying that there needs to be more interesting blues and rares. Heck more item types in general. I would also like to see jewels and charms.

BattleTag Leviathan-1356

Quote Originally Posted by Talope View Post
    I feel like eventually they'll get to the point where many legendaries will have stats that can't be found anywhere else. So instead of just juggling numbers you'll be choosing between something with cannot be frozen or 200% MF or something like that. Basically the same type of thing that LOD added to D2 except probably to a greater extent since D2 already had some unique stats on uniques.

I'm sure it's been mentioned a million times, but I feel that unique stats are what it takes to make legendaries feel really cool. Take Titan's Revenge from D2 for example. It was obviously fairly common but still in demand because it was a great weapon for any javazon. Of course you'd eventually want to find them with a really high ED% and ethereal, but if you're on your first hardcore character or even your first hardcore amazon, you'd be happy to have them.

The uniqueness makes the item.
    Not to derail the thread too much or anything, but oh, man. I have a Bowazon with a Buriza as one of my secondary characters to my MF Sorc, and I think it was the Zon that found a Titan's along the way and I instantly rolled another Zon to make a Javazon. Holy crap; cows were so much fun with that thing. You all know me as a huge proponent and fan of D3, but D2 really did have some amazing items that just made you want to try new builds.

I think designing some Legendaries with huge bonuses to specific skills that constitute a viable build will go a long way to improving choices players can make. I feel like the developers need to think like a bored player at end game. They need to put themselves in the shoes/state of mind of, "Okay, I've seen it all. I've done it all. Now I'm just farming, but what for? What would make me do something different in this game?" and then design an answer to that question whether it be in the form of content like an endless dungeon or something that would make someone change/experiment with their build or roll a class they haven't yet.

IncGamers Member

@katnis: farming without a stash & just random random drops is ALWAYS boring..

Fun is if you can actually store the self found items for later use. My stash is full with (unique) uniques for quite some months already, and that made me lose all interest as I do not wish to throw away items I might someday find a funny build with. Really look at the SPF forums here; they are quite active and I dare say the reason they are is also because of muling & atma etc..
    Hoarding self found items IS rewarding, it IS very rewarding to see your pile of uniques grow.

In d3 I can store less in total than I could in d2 WITH ONLY MY ACTIVE CHARACTERS.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fizoo View Post
    The dirty little secret in video games is most testing focuses on the early game. This is because its the early word of mouth that matters most when it comes to sales. If the buyers first couple weeks with the product are great, that will drive sales. Thats why the beta only involved up to killing Leoric. Thats probably as far as the deep gameplay testing ever was. Even the venerated D2 was only extensively playtested up to the a1 den quest. it took them years to work out endgame balance issues with d2. It couldve taken a much shorter amount of time, but it wouldnt have driven sales anyway. Lets face it, most gaming companies are just a cash grab, they spit out a half baked game and never try to fix the endgame problems. Blizzard makes the attempt at least.

Thats exactly why we're going to eventually have a second videogame crash like we saw in 1983. All we're seeing is triple A game companies release very shallow games with corners cut that is leading to questionable quality. Look at EA, the CEO just stepped down, that company is just one disaster after another.

Failed sw:tor
    Sim City 3 plagued with problems.
    Releasing a brand new Fifa game with just updated rosters.
    Horrible ME3 ending.
    Unethical business decisions all across the board.

The entire industry is just putting crappy quality games that are riddled with issues that stem from core mechanics to just games that are so streamlined with no soul or creative thought.
    I mean why does Path of Exile have more thought and creativity in their indie game that has less than 20 people working on it than Diablo 3?

We continue to see these big triple A companies just cut corners everywhere. Diablo 3 had all these interesting features ripped out 1 year before the game shipped, patches that slightly improved the game but all they've done is kicked the can down the road when itemization should have been addressed by no later than 1.04(this includes tightening up rare affixes, adding new affixes that trump trifecta gear, getting away from needing the same three affixes on gear to be worthwhile, build defining gear etc).

I'm not calling D3 a terrible game, I'm calling it a disappointing game that is unrewarding. D3 should be the poster child of a money grab when we look up the meaning of "Cash grabs" in the future.

If game companies as a whole do not cut out the extremely shoddy business tactics of releasing half-assed games, riddled with DLC and just overall poor quality games, the videogame crash of 1983 will happen again. Blizzard just followed suit with D3, tons of game companies out there are phoning it in, even with some of the more grandiose titles in the industry.

What we see with D3 is more of an industry wide symptom that has cropped up after the economic crisis of 2008. These gaming companies have become so desperate to return to their pre 2008 forms to the point where quality is being sacrificed. I personally believe the bad economy during D3 development played a key role in its rushing out in its barebone form. The 1983 videogame crash happened the same way, many games came out at the expense of quality, eventually gamers got mad and quit buying.

What is going to happen when gamers get fed up that their favorite game series continues to deteriorate in quality for no other reason than "Cash grabs"? people are going to just stop buying them. I believe if things continue on as they are, we will see a gamecrash similar to 1983 within the next 10 years or so.
    Last edited by Golbez2; 20-03-2013 at 06:51.