Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Monk Passive Skills Improvements/Changes?

I don't think that the spirit generating passives need buffs. My Tempest Rusher have 18s/second fully buffed and can spam Cyclone strike pretty much how often he wants while running constantly with TR. I use the rune that reduces cost on Cyclone strike and have -5 cyclone strike spirit cost on my Stone of Jordan, so that it only costs 25 spirit. Together with the 25% boost to dmg against elites on my Jordan its a really effective rare monster killer.

The spirit generating passives and skills make you able to skip generators all together which is neat. The only problem is that there is only 1 skill to utilize it with; Tempest rush. I would love to see a skill in the monks arsenal that only cost say 15 spirit, and with a rune or item property that reduce the cost further. Quite similar to the skills in the DH's arsenal; Elemental arrow and Chakram.

I agree with most of you that OWE don't need a nerf anymore. I think defensive skills need to be OP to really be an alternative to the offensive ones. The problem with the monk is that there is not enough offensive passives to challenge it's status.

IncGamers Member

@snurfint: how much comes from items? Really wouldn't you be just as good without spirit regen and say a different passive?

Though I did actually say a similar thing. Though as I would do I would increase the spirit regen passive AND keep all other skill cost the same (maybe increase tempest rush cost if it gets too strong, but that's something time needs to tell). Lowering the cost of most spells has the same effect as buffing the spirit regeneration. (And as you can see in my suggestion I actually buff them the most by providing all spirit regeneration passive more base spirit).

IncGamers Member

Having enough spirit regen for TR is a really bad reason for why spirit regenerating passives shouldn't get buffed. At this moment, you use 2-3 spirit regenerators, 4 parts Inna's, SoJ, Inna's helm with spirit regen and most people also use Xephirian amu. And where does that take you if you have really good gear? To MP1 at the highest, MP0 for most people. Would more spirit regen from passives make much of a difference? Naah, you could probably exchange one spirit regen item for a more dps-oriented one but that would never take you even close to MP2. So TR-build wouldn't be much affected by the change, except for some more undergeared people being able to use it. And perhaps the gear costs would be a little bit lower, but I guess they'd still stay in the really high range.

To get really high and useful spirit regen now you need to make such extreme trade offs that it isn't really viable if you want to be effective. It is fun to play with, but it gets boring when you need to go down 2 MP-levels or more. If the spirit regen passives got some buffs, it would make more fun builds available without the use of extremely specific items.

And the only reason for the variety in passive skills is most of them are so bad that people pick them at random. Most do not affect your character in a meaningful way anyway.

Oh, btw, I believe the reason this hasn't been discussed much is that people like me have gotten tired of all the discussion. Especially after 1.0.7 where at least I had hoped for some meaningful passive changes. But instead it's been stated that "monks passives are in a good place" and they buffed bells, one of the most boring skills in the game imo. Main reason I'm taking a break from the game, even though I'll probably return with a patch that brings more meaningful changes.

BattleTag Duskmourn-1569

Bells aren't boring to me =)

IncGamers Member

The best way to improve OWE is instead of making all resistances equal to the highest resistance, add up all the individual resistances and make all resistances equal to the total (or a percentage of it if proves to high/game breaking). This way if you change an item that has cold resist to one with arcane resist you don't get penalized and it doesn't make the passive gear dependent to one resistance type.

IncGamers Member

Not sure at all if that's the "best" way. It would make OWE a truly mandatory passive (or damn close at least because you could use it with any gear), and if you make it a percentage you nerf the equipment of all the monks that use OWE atm.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by windstriker View Post
    Not sure at all if that's the "best" way. It would make OWE a truly mandatory passive (or damn close at least because you could use it with any gear), and if you make it a percentage you nerf the equipment of all the monks that use OWE atm.
    Other characters already have passives that are pretty much mandatory.

If the passive becomes a character trait as a suggestion by developers than it would be mandatory.

BattleTag KornKills-1468

All I really want is a base spirit regen of 2. As a hardcore player with limited resources, NDE and OWE are not going to get removed aside from possibly pvp. For #3 I use Guardians Path as a 2 handed bell monk.

If I had billions of gold, I could get my all resist to 600 without OWE... would be nice!