Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 32 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Re: Tournament: Envious of the Green and Gold

Nice going there, Cygnus. Enjoy a break from this character. I think he will do well in Nightmare.

@zaphodbrx: I plan to write a Guardian thread, but I do not feel like doing it for the next couple of days.

BattleTag Grisu-2156

Woah! Another amazing Guardian, jiansonz! And I do love your writeups

Congrats Cygnus! We're dead even, it seems, as Meronym made Destroyer 2 days back :-)

I don't remember much of Act III...and didn't take any screenshots, so perhaps it was boring...and I just noticed, my last status update was from 25th March, when I defeated Diablo, so you already heard my babbling about Act III and IV. Here's what happened in Act 5:

Bloody Foothills, first Catapult: Bummer! Nokozan Relic isn't usually something I put on as end game gear, but for untwinked play it's awesome: 50% Fire Resist (including 10% higher Max Resist) and 20% FHR was a welcome boost over .... no amulet at all!

Shadowfang was another good drop, which enabled me to finally switch merc again - I went with an Act 5 Barb from The Ancient's Way on (before, the Act III Cold Mage was much more handy against those Imps). Oh, and I upped Shadowfang to exceptional thanks to some amazing rune luck I had so far (of course, it's not of much use in this tournament...): Not only did I find the Sol required to up Shadowfang, but also Thul, 2 Shael, Amn, 2 Dol, plus a bunch of Runes below Thul...

Then I could increase the quality of my belt just in time before the fight against the Ancients with Sigon's Wrap, which complemented the earlier found Sigon's Gage just fine for 30% IAS :-)

Baal himself had a mostly useless drop, but the Deathbit seems quite useful...granted, it doesn't have any inherent IAS, but LL and ML, so I don't need to gulp so much Mana pots anymore when using Phoenix Strike! Also, it offers more AR at the moment (388) than the partial set bonus from Isenhart's (240 - I'd need to be at least level 78 for that to change...), so that's a plus, too, although I lose the +8 to all resistances...but then I again, I can just switch back again the Isenhart's helm for my merc's Infernal Cranium!

Cow level held another surprise: I found Cow King's hide Wow, I only found 6 so far in total, and none while in a tournament...pretty good mods for untwinked play, but I'd rather have found the boots...

Meronym, Level 48 Phoenix Striker, and Ethelred, the Barbarian merc, 13 S/U equipped, NM Rogue Camp next
    Last edited by Grisu; 17-05-2013 at 13:47.

Way to go, jiansonz!

I am long overdue for a writeup, and I went through a few periods of little or no progress. I have few memories of recent exploits (and I do not take notes). Nevertheless, the project has gone ahead, and it is now time for a report.

Phusis the dark assassin has reached Act 5 Hell. Gameplay thus far has been slow but relatively safe. Primary skills include Shadow Master, Blade Fury, Cloak of Shadows, and Death Sentry. With good fire resistance and open wounds, Diablo was a pushover (if a tiresome one).

She is level 78. My plans are to cube some charms (and perhaps jewels), finalize equipment, respec for maximum stat point efficiency, and press forward.

I am considering switching my holy freeze mercenary for a blessed aim one, since AR might be more help to both of us than freezing (which is made somewhat redundant by CoS).

I am apprehensive about the Ancients -- they are tough, and isn't there a bug concerning some of the assassin skills when fighting them?

I will give a full report of my resistances and so forth after shuffling some things around.

Slow and steady, as they say...

Phusis, level 78 BF assassin, and Leharas the desert mercenary, 15 S/Us equipped, Act 5 Hell next

Good luck in the final act!

Quote Originally Posted by jdkerr View Post
    I am apprehensive about the Ancients -- they are tough, and isn't there a bug concerning some of the assassin skills when fighting them?

Yes, on many game versions and system combos, the game crashes if you affect one of them with Cloak of Shadows. It happens when the CoS timer runs out. I usually take away my CoS hotkey for this fight. To prevent your SM from using it, I suggest you always summon her right next to an Ancient (and hope she does not use it during the small windows of time when she is not next to one).

Thanks for the information.

Okay, after evaluating my options, thinking about it, playing a bit, thinking some more, and making some minor gear adjustments, here are Phusis' stats at the second waypoint of Act 5 Hell.

Name: Phusis
    Level: 78
    Stats: 129/95/236/25
    Life: 1091
    Mana: 192
    Resistances: 123/42/71/45 (switch1), 108/27/96/30 (switch2)
    DR: 14%

The first weapon switch is more offensively oriented (Baranar's Star w/ Cleg's Shield); the second is more defensively oriented (Fleshrender w/ Whitstan's Guard (50% block)).

Skills: blade fury (1), death sentry (20), shadow master (17), venom (20), fade (14), mind blast (1), cloak of shadows (3).

Mercenary: Bulwye the Barbarian (Blackhorn's Face, Spirit Forge, Doombringer).

Here's hoping for the best!

Doombringer is a really cool find in this tourney! I can just envision how good your merc is 1 on 1 even against tough bosses.

So can I -- I haven't even tried it yet, because she found it just before I did the gear adjusting for the last post. I am looking forward to it, though; the desert mercenary was beginning to be quite frustrating.

The two other major changes were (a) the realization that Cleg's gloves give a great AR bonus if I use the shield, and (b) using Baranar's Star, which I am hoping speeds up the "first corpse" situation in most normal battles.

When we left off, I was at the first WP of Act5 Hell. Act5 proved to be more challenging than previous acts, but this essentially meant gameplay was simply slow. My shadow and mercenary were both sturdy, so it was a matter of just picking off the baddies one at a time. The Ancients were tough, but after running around for ages trying to separate them, I managed to do so. At that point, I just whittled away with open wounds, recasting the shadow as necessary. I slipped through most of the act relatively quickly -- I killed everything in my way and within a certain range of my way (to be safe), but did not go out of my way to invite more combat. Once I entered the Worldstone Keep, the difficulty made another dramatic jump. The throne room (no stair trap) held bloodstar-shooters and meteor-throwers, which was at times quite hectic, and here I used more purple pots than anywhere else, but it was still just a matter of time. Baal's second wave was the most annoying -- skeletons would not explode (death sentry) if they were not within range of another enemy, which was tiresome, and poison took a toll on my minions. Nevertheless, none of that was a challenge compared to Baal himself. My God, was he pain. It took ages to slowly kill him with mercenary attacks and open wounds. Nevertheless, we prevailed.

Spoiler

It was a long road, but also a lot of fun. I had some lucky drops along the way, and jiansonz gave some good advice, as usual (many thanks). All told, I found 72 green and gold items. Thanks to everyone for their encouragement, and to Morathai for another great tournament.

My second guardian! Please see this thread for more information.

Guardian Phusis, the level 79 Assassin, and Bulwye the Barbarian, Destroyers of Baal. 15 S/Us equipped. Fine food and drink next.

IncGamers Member endlesscircuit's Avatar

Figured I might as well start a character in this tournament as well, to give myself many different options to play.

I created Genie, the Amazon. So far, I've leveled her to 15, just finishing Tristram...and found...Hsarus' Iron Fist. Using an Ethereal Spear for hard monsters and Superior Javelins for the rest. Haven't committed to any skills yet, just adding 1 in each as I go along for maximum flexibility. (I also haven't played an Amazon in 4 years, so it's nice to experiment again.)

​Genie, Level 15 Amazon, Black Marsh, 1 S/U

EDIT: Just realized I can use 3 Chipped Topaz Ring Mail/2 Chipped Topaz Caps, for now. Put those on and found...Cleglaw's Claw. Meaning I must ditch the Ethereal Spear (only had 3 durability left anyway). Enjoying switching between this character and my random assassin.
    Last edited by endlesscircuit; 07-08-2013 at 20:28.

IncGamers Member

Finally had some spare time from work. Loving this tournament! My phoenix striker just killed Baal at level 48. Updated my table. I haven't completed the Cow King quest yet so I will do that next time I play.

Code:
    Name          Character    Class       Diff.   Area               Level    S/U's Equipped
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Archone       Chicken      Necromancer  Completed                    87          15
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jiansonz      Martina      Amazon       NM       Bloody Foothills    67          14
    Kitteh        Briony       Assassin     NM       Inner Cloister      50          13
    felixbavaria  Bruno        Druid        NM       Cold Plains         48           9
    srrw          Selene       Sorceress    NM       Rogue Camp          48          11
    jdkerr        Phusis       Assassin     NM       Rogue Camp          47           9
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    igloosPat     Hennifer     Assassin     Normal   Secret Cow Level    48          12
    RIP           Thor         Paladin      Normal   Harrogath           35          11
    Immortal_S    GreenGoldie  Paladin      Normal   Harrogath           34           8
    Grisu         Meronym      Assassin     Normal   City of the Damned  33           9
    Glenstorm     Irene        Assassin     Normal   Kurast Docks        27           3
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tox FTW       Oatmeal      Paladin      Normal   Dry Hills           22           2
    Jason         Qirana       Amazon       Normal   Rocky Waste         22           4
    kestegs       SankeEyes    Sorceress    Normal   Lut Gholein         21           3
    Morathi       Yates        Barbarian    Normal   Lut Gholein         20           0
    Archone#2     Ms_Piggy     Assassin     Normal   Lut Gholein         20           3
    Jerametrius   Passion      Paladin      Normal   Lut Gholein         20           2
    CDM           BK           Druid        Normal   Outer Cloister      17           2
    kstarm        Malice       Necromancer  Normal   Outer Cloister      17           0
    djmbbandie    Rage         Druid        Normal       Rogue Camp       1           0
    Kitteh        Brydon       Druid        Normal   Rogue Camp           1           0
    Enceladus     Vengence     Paladin      Normal   Dry Hills           23           5