Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member cheerupemokid10's Avatar
    BattleTag pizzle-1873

Frosties with non class skills

I know that there is the small cold damage buff. But what I am curious about is the buff to cold skill damage. I know it will buff any skills that are listed as cold damage, obviously. But does it calculate into the non-class skill "frozen orb" that has a chance to be cast on attack from Wizard spike?

If so, I'm interested in making a super fast monk or barb that can spam frozen orbs and possibly other "chance on attack" skills. At the very least, make use of sledgefist in combination with it on the monk, since it would be relying more on the frozen orb damage and not the character listed dps. That is, if it works the way I hope it would. Something possibly fun and different... Just some food for thought.

IncGamers Member cheerupemokid10's Avatar
    BattleTag pizzle-1873

Re: Frosties with non class skills

Well I snagged a couple of cheap frosties and a cheap wizard spike and what do ya know? It appears in my small sample test of anecdotal evidence that frosties do affect the damage of the frozen orbs thrown from the wizard spike. They were shooting zombies for ~12-14k without the frosties and on average 18-22k with the frosties at 27% cold skill damage. That was just from eyeballing a few dozen on each and switching back and forth between mobs to be sure.

So now, with a high proccing wizard spike and maybe a few more % to hit that 29 or 30%, an amped up high attack speed, you're looking at the new rift-sin/rift-adin quite possibly? Not huge damage of course. But definitely something fun!

Now to find another interesting proc on attack weapon to dual wield or something similar and a high speed build. I was trying this out on my Monk with the attack speed mantra and hundred fists with the attack speed on crit rune to help boost things up. Any other big attack speed builds that could use this?

I'm just impressed that someone found a reason to even equip them. I've been holding frosties up as the single most disappointing inferno legendary in the game, especially given their proud D2 heritage.
    --Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

I was intrigued by this post so I did some testing on a barbarian, Hoping that Intelligence would determine the damage, but it appears to be a static amount of cold damage the orb deals. Seems that +critical damage and +cold damage are all the affect the amount it deals. I tried about 1k INT and noticed no difference in either removing strength or adding it.