Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Mac help needed! Mountain Lion, Wineskin, and RWM

Edit: Problem solved
    Last edited by Fed; 06-04-2013 at 00:41.

Solution found! Refer to original post

IncGamers Member

Hi Fed, great post, but do you know if it should work on the "X11" for mac? I've placed the date files in the D2 folder, but seems unable to find anywhere to execute "3B" in your guide?

Best,

@Andersdhx: see my reply in the D2 Mac Guide thread. That should help.

@Fed: I'm going to try to get an update to the D2 Mac Guide together. Do you mind if I include your instructions for Wineskin?

IncGamers Member

If it's tricky to get D2 working, the easiest solution is probably to virtualize a windows host and run it there.

IncGamers Member

I've been happy using VirtualBox on a Mac to make a virtual old Windows install and run D2 there (under Win2K, the latest version of Windows that I have a license for.) Diablo runs well and ATMA runs well there. I didn't get GoMule (or Java) running there- instead, I run GoMule on the Mac side. Two downsides- I haven't been able to take screenshots in the virtual machine that work, and I never bothered to get TCP/IP working there so it is only single-player. One nice upside is that I can move that virtual machine to any one of a number of Macs and it all just works as the same virtual machine. Another nice upside is that I actually have two virtual machines, one for 1.07 and one for 1.10+ and I don't have to worry about accidentally opening a 1.07 character and inadvertently bringing it forward. It's kind of a comical waste to have an entire duplicate of a virtual machine just to avoid getting the TrenShadow version switcher (or the modern versions, which I don't think work with the old OS) working, but it works for me.

It is just occurring to me that I can take screenshots from the Mac side of the VirtualPC window- I should have thought of that a while ago! That won't work for the immediate action shots but could be handy.

I set it up several years ago and a couple of machines ago and I don't remember any particular difficulty, except maybe getting the CD image to be recognized. I did have some concerns once I got it working, but those have been no problem. That is, I was worried that newer and newer versions of VirtualBox would somehow break what I'd set up and gotten working, but those concerns were all ill-founded and it's been working great for years now.

I just tried the Wineskin method on my mbp, and it went far more easily than the PlayOnMac install. I had two random, unexplained errors installing classic, and then it went with no issues; and one random, unexplained error installing the expansion before it too went with no issues. I haven't done any real playing, but the only hiccough was making it run in a window, and getting some aliases on the mac side to make launching easier. The whole thing took about 20 minutes.

I'm working on an update to the mac guide, albeit very slowly, but hope to have something together over the Thanksgiving holiday.

One benefit of Wineskin (or another Wine bottler for Mac) is that everything works as expected, because D2 thinks your modern computer is a 12 year old mid-grade windows box. Screenshots appear where you expect, and I suspect TrenShadow's version switcher could be made to work. GoMule will have to live on the mac side, but everything is just in folders. (Well, that's not quite true... something in Mavericks makes the applications Wineskin creates fail to launch, but it's a simple 'show package contents' and go from there, so it's easy enough. The Wineskin people are working, and may come up with something someday.)

I think Wineskin mostly plays better with the downloadable installers, but I'll try to install from disks and see if that works (PlayOnMac couldn't handle the cd switching), if I still have my disks. (It might also be interesting to see if D1 can be made to work, and if I can use a similar thing to get Civ III to work... but there's only so much gaming time, and it's very limited, so maybe not...)