Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Re: This is it, boys, this is WAR! I'm scared. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevinator View Post
    it is about war, I wonder who started it. oh, right.
    Well, R++ is the only other veteran around these parts as I recall. You trying to say something about my first career choice?

No, i meant started the thread. You started the thread. You didn't start the war too, did you? Oh crap.

Point being, is there anyone else here properly equipped to discuss? There's some who have served IIRC, but I think R++ and I are the only two <veterans>.

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

You imply that only veterans are equipped to discuss the issue of an "undeclared cold war" between the West and China.

What is your reasoning for this? In your reply, keep the language simple ... for us low-grade morons ... and keep the language civil ... oh, just for laughs and to see if you're capable of it.

For bonus points, please describe how you actually declare a cold war. I get how hot wars are declared but I'm not so clear on wars of the cold variety. Is it like, "I am so going to invade you but I won't actually do it because we are not actually at war .. but I really hate you." That would be a really cool Declaration of [Cold] War.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Considering that Congress (You know the people us civilians empowered to declare war on our behalf) has not declared war since WWII.
    All you ever participated in was a military engagement.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Declarations of war are either useless or hypocritic. If you do it to fight "for good" and the others are "evil", no declaration of war would be needed. If you go to war for different reasons, then a declaration of war is nothing but a pathetic attempt to make acts of murder, arson, robbery, rape, enslavement etc. etc. appear like chivalric deeds.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Quote Originally Posted by LozHinge the Unhinged View Post
    You imply that only veterans are equipped to discuss the issue of an "undeclared cold war" between the West and China.

What is your reasoning for this? In your reply, keep the language simple ... for us low-grade morons ... and keep the language civil ... oh, just for laughs and to see if you're capable of it.
    If I went by your claims of what I imply, I'd have to be on here 24/7.

No, I'm saying that since Steve decided to surreptitiously accuse me of warmongering as Llad12 used to, others may as well face facts about precisely who pays the ultimate price in these affairs. Bob managed a near miss with his citation regarding "War Pigs", which while self-serving for Ward doubtless had some legitimacy. The reality is that an ever-more-effete populace is easily swayed by invalid arguments into action because it has very little effect upon them.

Half a century ago, it was "What did you do in the War, Daddy?".

Now, I won't be surprised if you would contribute to this:

Quote Originally Posted by LozHinge the Unhinged View Post
    For bonus points, please describe how you actually declare a cold war. I get how hot wars are declared but I'm not so clear on wars of the cold variety. Is it like, "I am so going to invade you but I won't actually do it because we are not actually at war .. but I really hate you." That would be a really cool Declaration of [Cold] War.

Since you're polishing your own knob about how smart you are, you might consider that declaring a cold war is a unilateral act, and it would be done just as easily in secret as it would be in the open. Exhibit A would be France's declaration of electronic war against the U.S. some decades ago (early 70's?). What, you never heard of it?

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    If I went by your claims of what I imply, I'd have to be on here 24/7.
    Yes. See to it

No, I'm saying that since Steve decided to surreptitiously accuse me of warmongering as Llad12 used to, others may as well face facts about precisely who pays the ultimate price in these affairs. Bob managed a near miss with his citation regarding "War Pigs", which while self-serving for Ward doubtless had some legitimacy. The reality is that an ever-more-effete populace is easily swayed by invalid arguments into action because it has very little effect upon them.
    Would you consider the Allied General Staff from the First World War to be effete? They had a tendency to order men to charge the guns, etc - perhaps on the basis that the Maxims had very little effect on said higher echelons. There are numerous other similar historical examples.

I think the disconnect represented by people's willingness to support warfare which doesn't affect them directly, either themselves or their loved ones, has shrunk in recent years. In evidence, I offer the current grass-roots reluctance of the UK, as indicated by the recent MP revolt, regarding Syria. Seems to me that the ordinary rank-and-file populace is thinking more about the effect war has on the servicemen at the sharp end.

[...]

Since you're polishing your own knob about how smart you are, you might consider that declaring a cold war is a unilateral act, and it would be done just as easily in secret as it would be in the open. Exhibit A would be France's declaration of electronic war against the U.S. some decades ago (early 70's?). What, you never heard of it?
    It is after all my knob, I'll wash it as hard as I like. As for the French electronic war effort, it appears that my notes on this have been erased. Who'd have thought they'd be so damned good at it?

To address whatever the hell your response means to whatever the hell my point might have been ... I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you cannot secretly declare anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    Our primary enemy that I'm thinking about here is China. There's a number of other nations who could be considered 'at war' with America, such as Iraq, Pakistan, North Korea and maybe even Saudi Arabia, but none of those are serious geopolitical threats even though North Korea is still officially fighting us.
    Left out USG.