Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battle.net?

Re: Battle.net?

I don't doubt that Bnet drove the popularity of Diablo 2 through the roof, only an idiot would deny that. However, most Diablo 2 players don't 'play the game'. Most probably can't even tell you all the quests, they just get a character rushed and then do Baal runs etc. What I'm saying, is that SP offers a richer and far more rewarding challenge. I would like to mention though, that the one thing I think Bnet is superior in regards to, is the ladder resets. Even then, only for about two weeks, because then its ruined by the bots etc. I guess SP and Bnet are in effect, two very 'different' Diablo 2 worlds. One is about the game and playing it, learning it. The other is about playing WITH people (we also MP, and its incredibly easy to do) and in a sense, prestige.

How many Bnet players do you think know the mechanics of the game? I mean the real mechanics, the in depth stuff. I'm not saying Bnet is bad (in essence, its awful these days, but the original Bnet obviously has it's own riches), rather that its a very watered down version of the game. Bnet players don't realise how much they miss, how much challenge there is in SP. How many Bnet players have taken an untwinked, single pass, hardcore concentrate barbarian through the game at players8? There is so much more for them to explore outside of Bnet.

We also have tournaments with interesting restrictions such as melee only, and only with a wand, or rare items only, or crafts only. We actually do these things in hardcore, and it saddens me that so many players never take the chance to enjoy these things.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Fizoo-1366

Im a very extroverted person and when you give me two play options and one has drastically more people than the other, i go where theres more people. Gaming + social interaction is better. I find having lots of people play, and having it on-demand as realms always have players on, make it a vastly richer environment

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh View Post
    Spoiler
    That is all well and good, and I enjoy a challenge too; but that's not what I play D2 for. I play D2 to melt face and get rich in runes. I do like to try out new builds but they have to be *efficient*. Irl, I can control almost nothing about my life, so in D2 I wish to be in total control, and it facilitates that very well if you have a powerful enough character.

Conversely, in D3 I can't even teleport between acts (or freely in the world for that matter!), I get the lame story shoved in my face every minute, bosses are not automatic loot showers compared to mobs (a huge draw in D2 imo), and ofc the social interface problems that we've been talking about (mainly that it's *non-existent*... -.-)... The only thing D3 got right was the smooth feel of the combat. Lift that into D2 (with D2 runspeed and teleport), fix the decade-old bugs and I'll spend ten years of my life with a drooling troll-smile on my face. Sadly when dreams and reality collide it's 99% fatality rate for the former.

On the subject of HC, I've tried it a few times, but one stunlock stair trap with 0% fhr is all it takes for a guy with my frustrations to throw his mouse at the keyboard (two birds with one stone, heh). Ofc on Bnet lag and dc and pk make HC a futile proposition to begin with. Even in sp there's the danger of a random Windows/virus update, although I suppose you could cut yourself some slack in this regard.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Fizoo-1366

One method of hc is to only play when grouped, that way even if you die, the other person should be able to loot your corpse and get your stuff back. Not in every case if you die in a bad spot, but its a chance of recovery.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fizoo View Post
    One method of hc is to only play when grouped, that way even if you die, the other person should be able to loot your corpse and get your stuff back. Not in every case if you die in a bad spot, but its a chance of recovery.
    I suppose so, but you'd have to have good friends whom you can trust. These forums would be good for that, but I'm not sure there's much activity as HC had a small playerbase to begin with. There's also the fact that sometimes there's not anyone online at the right hour. Finally, even though I enjoy trading on Bnet and the occasional rush etc, I still like to play by myself most of the time.

I've actually never finished the game on HC in all these years. Not even Normal diff. The most I got was maybe lvl 25. I just don't see the point. One Extra Fast Extra Strong LE pack is all it takes to do you in, or a stair trap. Forget even mentioning D3 and HC in the same sentence. Can you spell Ra-Ka-Noth or Be-Li-Al, in conjunction with Un-Twink-Ed? And DC's the same in any language, a giant 'F U' on a pitch black sky. I don't mean to hate on HC, it's just not my cup of pesticide.

In single player, the games pauses if the window is minimized

Thanks for the good discussion guys, usually this stuff just gets all flamy!

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh View Post
    In single player, the games pauses if the window is minimized
    I seem to remember reading some horror stories to the contrary... Maybe it was changed in a patch at some point? If it is indeed the case, then I might actually consider finishing HC once, just to round up my D2 experience. What char/build would you recommend for a first-timer? I'm thinking Barb because it has the most hp, but then starting without gear might make it unviable. Sorc is way too fragile... Maybe a Pally with Holy Freeze? What have you had the easiest time with?

Most of my untwinked hardcore characters have been less popular builds such as tesladins, vengers, hydraorbs, magezon etc. They're certainly fun (I've deeds more than I've guardianed!), but personally I like HF zealots; safe, fun and strong.

Link to my mini-guide. I'm not great at writing guides, but if you read the responses, you'll pick up extra information/ideas that aren't in the mini-guide

Also definitely worth a read.

IncGamers Member

Thank you for the links; once I finish Dark Souls I just might give D2 HC a go.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Fizoo-1366

Quote Originally Posted by Greizer View Post
    I suppose so, but you'd have to have good friends whom you can trust. These forums would be good for that, but I'm not sure there's much activity as HC had a small playerbase to begin with. There's also the fact that sometimes there's not anyone online at the right hour. Finally, even though I enjoy trading on Bnet and the occasional rush etc, I still like to play by myself most of the time.I've actually never finished the game on HC in all these years. Not even Normal diff. The most I got was maybe lvl 25. I just don't see the point. One Extra Fast Extra Strong LE pack is all it takes to do you in, or a stair trap. Forget even mentioning D3 and HC in the same sentence. Can you spell Ra-Ka-Noth or Be-Li-Al, in conjunction with Un-Twink-Ed? And DC's the same in any language, a giant 'F U' on a pitch black sky. I don't mean to hate on HC, it's just not my cup of pesticide.
    Hmm. If i had to play single player hardcore normal difficulty, id probably pick a bone spear necro. id start by pumping teeth since it synergizes with bone spear. Then at level 18 id start pumping bone spear. 1 point clay golem. Shop drognan for a +3 bone spear wand. Later shop for a decrepify wand on switch unless you find a necro shield with it. Andy is easy enough without using skills. Duriel just needs a shield and rejuvs all across your belt. fire bone spear across the moat to kill meph. Diablo is the tough solo kill in normal but you can decrepify him and slow him further with your clay golem and kill him from range with bone spear if anything goes wrong. Baal is the same as diablo except youre stronger.Bone spear isnt great in endgame but its good for normal.