Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: "Damn kids with their fancy X, back in my day we had Y!" thread

Yeah, you could have as many skelentons as you had skills, so you could easily have 30 skelentons, 30 mages, and 30 revives, plus merc + golem all at once. Of course back then they sucked, however if you were playing on the realms everyone would get pissed at you because internet connections weren't what they are today and it lagged everything substantially.

Guided arrow could also pierce as many times as the check was successful, so in duels it was not uncommon to be hit with the same arrow 5 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

BattleTag Grisu-2156

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrotechnician View Post
    I think you are right about the +bow skills

I found a different site that has this listed for the various skills:

Skill Level Spell Effect or Description
    1 Fire Arrow
    2 Cold Arrow
    3 Lightning with "breathing" effect
    4 Nothing, although it makes an animation like a charged bolt
    5 Poison Bolt
    6 Ice Bolt
    7 Fire Bolt
    8 Charged Bolt
    9 Fire Ball
    10 One column of short range that resembles the Druid's Firestorm spell

It had it listed up to 112 +skills, but obviously that is in no way legitamately possible so whatever, it would be neat to see them all though.

Apparently +52 skills is the full length lightning hose, and +56 is diablo's fire nova.
    Wow! Didn't know that!

Back in my days, people were still arguing about which search engine was best: google, lycos, fireball, yahoo...also, a certain "rotten" site was a famous link target for prank links...

Back in my days, I actually had to go to a store to order the English version of D2 as an UK import, because they were only selling German versions here and I didn't know yet about amazon (IIRC...). Also, I don't know if back then you could already order from abroad...certainly not as a youth without a credit card...
    Last edited by Grisu; 14-02-2013 at 11:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Grisu View Post
    Back in my days, people were still arguing about which search engine was best: google, lycos, fireball, yahoo...
    Yeah, that's right. Hotbot, Altavista, Webcrawler...

Is it just me, or are the modern search engines not as good at finding a particular quote/phrase as they used to be?
    Several times, I have tried searching for a site (that I have visited before) using this method. If the page still exists with that phrase in it, I expect the search engines to find it, but they fail so often that I suspect they have gotten worse at this.
    (or maybe the old engines just had far fewer pages to look through?)

Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz View Post
    Yeah, that's right. Hotbot, Altavista, Webcrawler...

Is it just me, or are the modern search engines not as good at finding a particular quote/phrase as they used to be?
    Several times, I have tried searching for a site (that I have visited before) using this method. If the page still exists with that phrase in it, I expect the search engines to find it, but they fail so often that I suspect they have gotten worse at this.
    (or maybe the old engines just had far fewer pages to look through?)
    People were abusing the SEO system really bad, putting tag words and phrases in their website to get more hits. Eventually the search engine giants had to rewrite their entire code to search for the content of a website rather than specific words. That's why it's hard to search for a phrase nowadays. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by GooberGrape View Post
    People were abusing the SEO system really bad, putting tag words and phrases in their website to get more hits. Eventually the search engine giants had to rewrite their entire code to search for the content of a website rather than specific words. That's why it's hard to search for a phrase nowadays. ^_^
    Ah, that makes perfect sense.

You do not happen to know about any search engine that still uses the old method? Sometimes that is exactly what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz View Post
    Ah, that makes perfect sense.

You do not happen to know about any search engine that still uses the old method? Sometimes that is exactly what I need.
    www.google.com you can put your phrase in quotation marks and it will find that string of words in that exact order, as opposed to doing a logical search.

www.boogle.com is a search engine for quotes only. That might be more useful for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupted View Post
    Back in the day the average SPF user knew what v1.09 involved so we didn't have all kinds of threads being spammed about it.

Spoiler

Back in the day we didn't have a 2007-joinee like skiffcz making these kind of threads/posts.
    Where is Shagsbeard, anyway?
    Whaaa...?

I guess I'm the official grumpy old man - insisting on doing things the way we did them back in the day.

Regarding 1.09 Rogue mercs, unless you want the lightning hose, you have to be careful because the other +skill effects sux. The cold/fire arrows are indeed the same (and the Rogue's native Fire Arrow - not the +skill effect - has the same OP bug as the Zon's Fire Arrow), it's the regular arrows that get transformed. The skills that work are general +skills and +amazon skills. +B/X skills don't transform the arrows.

Here's my contribution:

Damn kids with their fancy immunity-breaking skills and gear! Back in my day, we had to deal with PIs with elemental damage - no fancy Reaper's-wielding mercs.

Wow, that rogue stuff seems crazy! Are rogues endgame viable in 1.09?

Back in my days, we fought with our fists until we got to our OP level 30 skills. I also remember taking an 1.12 sorc through half of Hell with 200 unallocated stat points because I wouldn't decide between max block and max vita.

Wow, that rogue stuff seems crazy! Are rogues endgame viable in 1.09?

Lets just say Buriza Zons ruled this thing called Blood Runs

Knockback/Pierce/MultiShot was so very sweet music.

I'm playing 1.09 Classic right now, and the thing from the future that I miss most is... the weapon switch! Argh!