Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: "Damn kids with their fancy X, back in my day we had Y!" thread

There was a time when monsters in Hell weren't all immune, spells didn't have arbitrary delays, and mercenaries weren't super-tanks built out of adamantium.

Of course, there also wasn't 800x600 resolution or cool runewords. Oh, and I hadn't even played the game at that point, so... "Damn kids with their fancy reflecting on poor game design decisions, back in my day we played the game without questioning Blizzard!"

I remember playing the beta of this game and getting my awesome magic arrow amazon through Act I, and then... more Act I!!!

That and having to wipe the CD every time before playing because my temperamental X4 cd-rom would start skipping at the slightest bit of interference. We played on Win 95, we downloaded from Napster at 75k per second and thought we were gods! I remember actually borrowing my friends copy of Win 95 to upgrade from from Win 3.??? just to play Diablo.

Compuserve!

Get off my lawn.

I remember when I first played the expansion (or was it the upgrade to v1.10?), and OMG, now you can BUY mana potions!!!

Before that, a few levels of Warmth and/or armor/helm socketed with skulls or sapphires were almost mandatory for young Sorcies.

and OMG, now you can BUY mana potions!!!
    It was 1.10.
    I remember being quite excited too.

Back in my day, if a skill sucked, it sucked. You couldn't put 80 points into 4 other semi-useless skills and suddenly do 10,000 damage for no good reason. I'm looking at you, Blessed Hammer.

Back in my day, you could make level 99 in two days. Isn't that right, Dip-Dancer?

Back in my day, you muled items onto other characters, not into an infinite database, so you had to actually be choosy about what you picked up.

Back in my day, the Act 1 Rogue could use THE LIGHTNING HOSE!!!!!!!!

Back in my day, you gambled Soj's wearing a Nagel and a Manald, not a Gheed's and an Edge.

Nostalgia'd.

Quote Originally Posted by GooberGrape View Post
    Back in my day, the Act 1 Rogue could use THE LIGHTNING HOSE!!!!!!!!
    Ah, yes. In 1.09, getting her a total of +3 Amazon/All skills on gear, right? I remember being very close to this but I have never actually seen it in use.

Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz View Post
    Ah, yes. In 1.09, getting her a total of +3 Amazon/All skills on gear, right? I remember being very close to this but I have never actually seen it in use.
    Yep, a shako/skullders, or shako/vmagi would do it for you. I think +amazon and +bow skills worked too, not sure about that though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Not sure about +Bow skills but at least +Amazon skills worked. I remember that I thought that the most realistic setup with my playstyle would be a Lore helm and a Valkyrie's bow.

IIRC, it was the rogue's regular Attack that got changed. The Fire/Cold Arrow shots remained normal. You got other (weaker) results with a total of +1, +2, +4 or +5 skills.

I think you are right about the +bow skills

I found a different site that has this listed for the various skills:

Skill Level Spell Effect or Description
    1 Fire Arrow
    2 Cold Arrow
    3 Lightning with "breathing" effect
    4 Nothing, although it makes an animation like a charged bolt
    5 Poison Bolt
    6 Ice Bolt
    7 Fire Bolt
    8 Charged Bolt
    9 Fire Ball
    10 One column of short range that resembles the Druid's Firestorm spell

It had it listed up to 112 +skills, but obviously that is in no way legitamately possible so whatever, it would be neat to see them all though.

Apparently +52 skills is the full length lightning hose, and +56 is diablo's fire nova.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

I never knew about any of this about the rogue! being young back in the day sure sucked kinda...
    I never properly got into bnet and builds etc till 1.10 ...

I do remember no cap on raise skeleton though, so you could easily attain 20+ skeletons... Even though they werent great...