Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    IncGamers Member

Re: Can anyone help my Wizard and I out?

Quote Originally Posted by JME View Post
    Second, I'd dump the echoing fury (which I know that you just bought recently). You can get a nicer weapon for less than what you paid for that one. I picked up a rare wand with 955 dps, a socket, 46 intelligence, and 2.8% life steal for only 35k gold a while back. While I realize that was a low-ball bid that I got a pretty good deal on (and that the intelligence is less), the point is you can get things for cheap if you hunt around. Also, the fear on the echoing fury may sound like a good idea if you are having survivability problems but the last thing you want is for demons to be running away from you when you need kills to keep up-time on your Archon. For reference, I'm still using the same crappy wand and doing 160k damage.
    Thanks for the write up. The skill choice adjustments in particular are quite the shake up! But Pinpoint Barrier is a definite improvement over storm armor. I was using storm at first with scramble, but it wasn't helping much. I then started using the one that reduces AP costs because it helped fuel Disintergrate. Forked Lightning is a good alternative. Except it's kind of useless against Elites. Anyway, I tried this set up out, and Pinpoint Barrier really is the star. I'm not getting much use out of Critical Mass or Crystal Shell, though. Crystal Shell is always in CD, and goes down immediately (like in 1 hit) when fighting Elites. I don't know if Critical Mass reduces the CD of Archon any, but I was able to keep it up much longer now. Pretty much permanent. I still died 5 times though, once to frozen/jailer/molten/reflect skelies in the keep (they got lucky), and 4 times to the same pack of Hulking Phase Beasts in the Tower. I think I might drop the tower from my runs for now, though the EXP there seems higher than the bridges or the keep depths. Maybe in 1.07 the Keep Depths and Bridges on MP 1 will be higher EXP wise than Crater MP 0.

As for the items, I plan to get Zunimasa Boots and Inna pants, but both items are around 20 Mil each. (I'm on the America's server) Once I can get those, I can drop the Tyrael's Might, probably in favor of a Tal Rasha, which is also probably going to run around 20-30 Mil... I know the shoulders are really bad, but they're the best I could afford that had Resist and Pick Up Radius. Everyone seems to be using Vile Wards, but I've never seen one for less than 10 million. The only thing I don't quite follow though is the suggestion to replace the Echoing Fury. The Chance to Fear almost never kicks in, but when it does it's actually pretty helpful. Against trash mobs it's a non factor because even with my low dmg, white stuff dies almost instantly. Wizard is ranged, so it's easy to kill them while they run away. It really shines against Elites though, because I can get in a lot of free hits while they're running away. The life steal on it is pretty low, but I think 2.something % is the highest you can get on a 1 hander. Before the Echoing Fury, I was using a Warmonger with 5.something % life steal, but the Warmonger is a two hander, and the difference pet hit between the two was something around 400. I get 600+ back with the Echoing, and around 1k with the Warmonger. Of course with the Warmonger, I can't use my Triumvirate and lose 27k dmg.
    Last edited by ADest; 11-02-2013 at 00:16.

IncGamers Member

I agree with JME it is a good idea for you to look for a wand with life steal, though I'll add make sure it is black. Forget about the fear you need life steal. Note: Once you get stronger the fear will become annoying. Also, you can actually save money by searching for crit damage instead of a soc. Edit: It is important to remember life steal works best with high weapon damage.

Tal's chest huh? Do you plan on using skills that depend on high aps?IE:Energy Twister. If not the IAS may not be as helpful as the extra defense on Zuni's.

Your crit chance is pretty high (I can't believe I'm actually recommending this) you can sacrifice some for lunis and/or storm crow. Note: I am comfortable @ 49%
    Lacuni vs Inna: Lacuni is more expensive but can give better stats, Inna costs less gold but you lose random properties.

If you plan to continue to use disintegrate(not archon) you will need some apoc, also note with channeled abilities higher aps=higher ap cost. Final Note: Apoc can only appear on class specific items. There may be legendaries that break this rule but I can't think of any.

Edit: Disintegrate(both in and out of archon) get very little out of loh even lok is better, however life steal works best.

Also judging from the numbers you posted before. You should add Witching Hour to your shopping list. Get this after your armor upgrades.
    Last edited by NightCraweler; 11-02-2013 at 08:09.

Not sure if your profile has updated yet since the other tips, but it seems what's giving you the most issue is phase beasts. First off, drop glass canon. It makes a big difference. In fact you might want to pick up Blur, the 20% decreased melee damage taken made a big difference for me! If you still have problems, try using force armor over pinpoint barrier. You may loose quite a bit of damage, but don't get too caught up in that number. You'll probably clear full runs faster overall, due to fewer deaths. Also repair bills will go down a lot, which makes it just a little faster to gather up gold.

If I was to change your setup, but keeping your offensive spells (disintegrate and hydra), it'd probably look something like this:

Disintigrate
    Hydra
    Teleport - Fracture (the 2 clones do help)
    Blood Weapon
    Familiar
    Force Armor

Temporal Flux, Blur, Illusionist*/Galvanizing Ward.

*Only use illusionist if it procs when taking big hits, IE when fighting phase beasts for instance. Even against teleporting phase beasts, you can teleport as soon as you get hit, allowing you to regenerate life from items (I noticed you have some life regen), and allowing you to take fewer hits every time they close the distance. I'm pretty sure their teleport skill (and affix) is on cooldowns, while yours are effectively reset each time they hit you.

This setup retains your offensive spells, adds some defensive and much needed life steal, but grants lower damage output.

Overall though I'd probably switch not use disintegrate, but archon instead. That would require some bigger changes to your skill setup though. However if you want, let us know which offensive skills you are interested in using, and we can help build your defensive skills and passives around that. Or you can take a look at which skills I use. Keep in mind I farm with around 80k damage, got 3% life steal from weapon (IIRC), and got about 1000 life regen per second. http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/K...312/hero/35256

Keep in mind those are skills from before the new patch, and also the skills don't quite match what I usually farm with. The changes I'll be making to it depends on if I play solo or party.

Party: Switch force armor for storm armor.

Solo: Still switching force armor for storm armor, drop glass canon and pick up temporal flux. However if I find I'm still having issues with phase beasts, I'll switch back to force armor from storm armor, and possibly picking up illusionist over galvanizing ward.

IncGamers Member

Hey all, thanks again for the help, switching storm armor for energy armor was the first big improvement. Believe it or not, running pubs also helped a lot, as I levelled up to 30 Paragon right away. (I was skeptical when some folks mentioned it earlier in the thread, I forgot monster dmg no longer scales in multiplay.) Now I have legendaries dropping for me all the time. I bought a Tal Rasha helm, Zuni boots, and Vile Ward shoulders for less than 20 mil for all 3 items, so those helped a lot too.

But 1.07 has REALLY helped me out. I replaced Glass Cannon with the new Unstable Anomaly and just don't die on Act 3 runs anymore, and I'm playing on MP 1 now. (up from 0 a few days ago.) I also replaced Hydra with the new buffed Blizzard. But the real improvement is the Archon that can cast Slow Time. Now that Crit Mass lowers the CD on Archon itself, and the Archon Slow Time, I pretty much burn through Phase Beasts, as I pretty much have Archon and Slow Time up at all times. Maybe I'll work in teleport again instead of Blizzard and try MP 2, but for now in MP 1, my Wizard has gone from Phase Beast fodder on MP 0 to nearly unkillable on MP 1. The Slow Time is so potent a defense, I might drop Unstable and put Glass Cannon in again.

Glad to hear you're kicking some phase beast ***! They desserve all the punishment they can get.

Btw if you're farming for items, best stick to MP1, or even MP0 for act 3 farming. The extra MF gained isn't worth the extra life monsters gain. Personally I prefer MP1, even though it might not be the most efficient for my damage output.

I like to farm on mp3. It's not that bad with 109k dmg.