Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BattleTag Sass-1761

Re: The Great Disconnect Between the Diablo Universe and Diablo 3 the game.

Yep. I have 4 IRL friends on my friends list. Friends/family, etc. 3 went back to WoW, and one went back to LoL (though his dad, one of my WoWer friends) tried it for a while. All left when they hit A2 Inferno.

BattleTag TheNix-6417

I can forgive the scratchy and predictable story line and even the cheesy dialogue, but please, please, PLEASE give us the option to bypass the cut scenes and stop the mindless chatter in subsequent patches or expansions.

*happily playing
    *game takes control
    *cut scene starts
    *swear and press ESC
    *YES I BLOODY WELL WANT TO STOP THE SCENE
    *happily play again
    *follower says something inane
    *sigh

Banned

Story design in D3 is both idiotic and lame.

It's lame, because it's childish, cliche and predictable.

It's idiotic, since all those D1 references are utterly unintelligible to new generations of players. For Ex. I played D1 when it was released, but I hardly remember Adria. Even for a veteran, it's hard to understand and follow. Add on top of than totally ****ty presentation, with cheesy one-liners and you have it.

Story in D3 SHOULD be a simple and stylish backdrop, which you can completely skip upon second play-through. It's kind of obvious, isn't it? Apparently, Jay Wilson sees it differently.

I expected that they will focus on Worldstone destruction in D3. When I heard they brought Adria back, with that convoluted mess of soulstone tagging... It's simply ridiculous...

BattleTag Sass-1761

That's like...your problem man. Adria was one of the key NPCs in D1. How did you forget where you got mana potions, scrolls, and staffs? I can see forgetting Farham or Gillian, but Adria? D1 started with 1 liners from Wirt, Adria and Cain. "I sense a soul in search of answers", "Stay a while and listen", "You gonna stare or buy somethin'" (Paraphrase Wirt because I didn't like him to memorize him).

And what's unintelligible about "Our king died, then was resurrected. Here's his body"? A "veteran" would understand all the cameos and homeages to D1 that D2 lacked. All that game did was show Tristram.

And seeing as how the story IS a backdrop you can skip, what's the problem exactly? BTW: the Worldstone was explained. It's in the backdrop, so you probably didn't see it.

IncGamers Member

And seeing as how the story IS a backdrop you can skip
    Stop shouting bull****.. Skipping is skipping, not having to press "escape, click on a menu, have all active buffs be removed & lose valuable time".

Skipping should be a simple option in your settings that means you can walk into a boss room & start a fight without any talk or anything. After that you should be able to go to the next act without talking, or losing nv or anything. And go directly to the boss there, SKIPPING the story & quests.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sass View Post
    That's like...your problem man. Adria was one of the key NPCs in D1. How did you forget where you got mana potions, scrolls, and staffs? I can see forgetting Farham or Gillian, but Adria? D1 started with 1 liners from Wirt, Adria and Cain. "I sense a soul in search of answers", "Stay a while and listen", "You gonna stare or buy somethin'" (Paraphrase Wirt because I didn't like him to memorize him).

And what's unintelligible about "Our king died, then was resurrected. Here's his body"? A "veteran" would understand all the cameos and homeages to D1 that D2 lacked. All that game did was show Tristram.

And seeing as how the story IS a backdrop you can skip, what's the problem exactly? BTW: the Worldstone was explained. It's in the backdrop, so you probably didn't see it.
    Dude, don't compare Cain to Adria. Adria, as far as I remember, has been just a simple "kiosk" for purchasing items. Something like Charsi or Akara. Cain talks to you for FIFTEEN years, about, like, everything, all the time!

On top of that, they KILLED Cain, for no good reason at all. He even didn't die in a epic way at the end. He was murdered by a Disney butterfly at the beginning. It looks to me like they wanted to destroy Diablo lore, not build upon it. WHY do you kill Cain?! Everybody loved him like a father. If they didn't like him so much, they could simply retire him, so that he would not appear in game at all.

BattleTag Sass-1761

...Not even a few months.

Anyway, this quickly escalated into a Cain depression, so I won't touch that. IDK why they killed him, but I didn't even notice his absence in the last 3 acts anyway. Without him to ID, he had no use anyway other than storyline, and the book "The Order" made me see him in a different light, but at the same time think less of him for some reason.

Come on merge this thread with the complaints thread already..

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by nurman View Post
    I think this design would have been worse. A generic witch who lives in a cabin in the woods. We ARE talking about a cult for a lord of hell here.
    you mean like the other witch in the game that made a pact with the devil then sacrificed her child to that same devil???

Quote Originally Posted by Sass View Post
    it doesn't hold up that those saying it was terrible are speaking for everyone else.
    Yea, I agree. The thing is Sass, nobody actually thinks that "everyone hates D3" because it is rationally obvious that everyone has different opinions. For example, I'm A, but I agree almost 100% with your guesses, though I feel A and C are more like 30% each. But let's not focus on that since they are just guesses and we almost 100% agree.
    What I feel happens when people argue about Diablo 3 is that they don't express themselves quite right and both "sides" end up not understanding each other. Psychologically, people tend to exaggerate in order to make a point. It's wrong, but it's human behavior so we have to understand it. So, they know that not "everyone" hates Diablo 3, but in the heat of the moment, specially after feeling "betrayed" after all these years, people tend to exaggerate, leading to "everyone hates Diablo 3".

So, I agree with you that not everyone hates Diablo 3 and understand why people often use the "not everyone hates diablo 3" argument. I do want to try to clarify from my point of view, what is it that everyone is actually trying to say: The level of rejection with Diablo 3, even though it's NOT the majority, is still too high specially for a game of this caliber, Blizzard and the Diablo brand. Don't you agree with that?