Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Do you Think the D3 Expansion Will "Fix" Diablo 3?

^Harsly put but thats the overall idea. People are expecting that suddenly a fairy will wave her wand and in a lightshow of glitter and little stars everything that blizzard worked so hard for 7 years to dumbdown and streamline will suddenly be fixed to what people imagine as a sequel to D2. Character customization restored, Gritty artwork restored, interesting itemzation restored (like there is any solution to Critical damage and its 7 digit damage numbers...), everything in a single expansion! People have to stop dreaming about that, we should all have learned to not have big expectations on blizzard, thats what D3 taught us.

Whats here is here to stay, blizzard never adds complexity to their games they just expand on it and make it even more streamlined and simple, although D3 is already on the maximum level of that.

BattleTag Azzure-1989

I wonder if Blizzard now agree that having such generic stats and equally beneficial effects on itemization was a bad thing. I for one miss having awesome itemization choices from D2, like Javazons loving certain stats while bowazons loving X Y Z, and Hammerdins loving A B C.

I mean talk about homogenized classes in D3. All classes feel virtually identical, with just different graphical skill effects.

IncGamers Member

Well, the idea of generic stats, main stat and equally beneficial effects on itemzation was part of their streamlining so that every casual puts no second thought to what is an upgrade or not. Sidegrade? Nah thats difficult for the average joe and it requires thinking, lets just add Upgrade with moar numbers. Its not difficult to see that this was made to make the AH upgrades to be easy to read for the casuals (its logical but I expect some "tinfoild hat" comment incomming...).

They had no clue that attack speed would be so desirable and it was nerfed, now was that difficult to see how broke critical damage was going to be? How they are going to bring the itemzation back to sane levels when people are all aiming to deal 1.000.000+ criticals? What will possibly augment the itemzation after this was stabilished into the game? They already said they are not fixing the bug on black weapons because people would see their damage drop, so to me it seems that this itemzation based on critical damage is here to stay, if so... what is there of interesting to see? What can be expanded? I'm out of ideas, blizzard caged themselves into a design conumdrum and made millions of players experiment that and poisoned it with real-money virtual items which handcuffs their freedom to mess with it, I really dont see much changing.

Ah but maybe the mystic and the talisman will return, but by then it wont be "new features" anymore, just "axed features to make more money on the expansion". Certainly they will tell that "nah it wasnt ready but now we are confident its well designed, yada yada".

So here we are, itemzation is broken with critical damage, handcuffed by the RMAH, character customization doesnt exist, the game is based on endgame lv 60 grind, Inferno is all that matters... its really hard to expand from this, I just dont understand why people are hopeful about that, just because LoD improved on D2 doesnt mean that the design of D3 allows the same kind of expansion, the design in D3 is already pretty restricted into its own little world.

BattleTag Azzure-1989

Quote Originally Posted by Kiroptus View Post
    Well, the idea of generic stats, main stat and equally beneficial effects on itemzation was part of their streamlining so that every casual puts no second thought to what is an upgrade or not. Sidegrade? Nah thats difficult for the average joe and it requires thinking, lets just add Upgrade with moar numbers. Its not difficult to see that this was made to make the AH upgrades to be easy to read for the casuals (its logical but I expect some "tinfoild hat" comment incomming...).

They had no clue that attack speed would be so desirable and it was nerfed, now was that difficult to see how broke critical damage was going to be? How they are going to bring the itemzation back to sane levels when people are all aiming to deal 1.000.000+ criticals? What will possibly augment the itemzation after this was stabilished into the game? They already said they are not fixing the bug on black weapons because people would see their damage drop, so to me it seems that this itemzation based on critical damage is here to stay, if so... what is there of interesting to see? What can be expanded? I'm out of ideas, blizzard caged themselves into a design conumdrum and made millions of players experiment that and poisoned it with real-money virtual items which handcuffs their freedom to mess with it, I really dont see much changing.

Ah but maybe the mystic and the talisman will return, but by then it wont be "new features" anymore, just "axed features to make more money on the expansion". Certainly they will tell that "nah it wasnt ready but now we are confident its well designed, yada yada".

So here we are, itemzation is broken with critical damage, handcuffed by the RMAH, character customization doesnt exist, the game is based on endgame lv 60 grind, Inferno is all that matters... its really hard to expand from this, I just dont understand why people are hopeful about that, just because LoD improved on D2 doesnt mean that the design of D3 allows the same kind of expansion, the design in D3 is already pretty restricted into its own little world.
    Well said.

Also don't forget the story. Oh the story....

IncGamers Member

The story is an abomination, I would never complain about the story in a diablo game being bad it wasnt shoved down our throat EVERYTIME we want to just farm, its not an open world anymore but rather a little story (a horrible one) that locked the whole progress of the game around it.

No wonder D3's story was the target of so much scorn around the internet, that text summing up of D3's story with the WD was amazingly funny, if not depressing as well. That video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcJ_XT3oWtY

Its all horrible horrible, there is absolutely no redeeming quality to it.

BattleTag Azzure-1989

The story is an abomination, I would never complain about the story in a diablo game being bad it wasnt shoved down our throat EVERYTIME we want to just farm, its not an open world anymore but rather a little story (a horrible one) that locked the whole progress of the game around it.

No wonder D3's story was the target of so much scorn around the internet, that text summing up of D3's story with the WD was amazingly funny, if not depressing as well. That video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcJ_XT3oWtY

Its all horrible horrible, there is absolutely no redeeming quality to it.
    Worst of all, Blizzard reaffirmed in a QA session that they still think the story is awesome.

IncGamers Member

No, It's unhealthy to even consider the idea that they'll remove the strobe lights, restore the soothing sound fx of its predecessors, cut redundant skills, add the much coveted but apparently impossible to implement "have commas on numbers" feature, or in any other way take a chainsaw to their Gauntlet slash Farmville fanfiction.

BattleTag Flexy-2748

The story is an abomination
    Well, I think the story is really nice when it comes to the content of it. But yeah, the presentation of it sucks.
    As you said, it feels like they want us to care for it really hard, when we really don't after playing through normal for our first time.

When I got into D2 because of a friend, he pulled me so fast to Hell that I jumped over every cutscene without wanting or needing to watch it. And I still had fun.

I bought D3 without thinking twice. Won't give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt ever again, in the last 10 years or so all they managed was to **** up their classics. The expansion will have to be VERY convincing for me to even consider buying. Same story with Starcraft and Diablo: these new dev teams fail to understand what makes the games tick. I mean itemization is nothing but an afterthought in Diablo after a decade of development, that in itself speaks volumes of their competence.

Remember when they understood how to make sequels? New classes, new items, new units, new levels. All it takes. But leave the ****ing core intact, it is already proven. This is what they did going from D1 to D2, from Warcraft to Warcraft 2 and Starcraft and we got some of the best games of all times. Then they hired these "geniuses" who are arrogant enough to think they know better despite the overwhelming success of the old formula, and look where that got us.

What baffles me is that fixing itemization would take minimal dev effort, certainly nothing comparable to Starcraft's deathball problem that would take a major overhaul of several core mechanics and a ****load of rebalancing thereafter. And yet they do nothing.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quingu View Post
    Expansions do not "fix" games. Expansions EXPAND games. Do you know what happens when you expand a turd? More bad odor.
    lulz..that was funny. of course, not jay wilson's level of funny (no one is funnier than jay), but still funny nonetheless.
    Last edited by mr punk; 31-01-2013 at 11:49.