Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    BattleTag Azzure-1989

Do you Think the D3 Expansion Will "Fix" Diablo 3?

I personally will be very surprised if the D3 expansion doesn't make the game a lot better.

I think there are a lot of "Fixes" they want to make to the game right now, but will push them in to the expansion for several reasons, including changes to itemization which would require a "soft reset" which the expansion would bring.

With that said, I do believe that the Devs still aren't fully in touch with what makes a Diablo game good. I feel that in some instances, they appear to not have learned a few lessons from the events of the past year. Such issues include:

- Appear to still not understand what makes a crafting system work (as evident in 1.07 PTR, which is really not that different to the current crafting system, and will run in to the exact same issues.

- Still think PvP isn't important for the longevity of the game

- Still don't see how important social features in Battle.net are, including lobbies, custom channels, custom games etc. Ghost town effect still remains despite the obvious fallacy of it.

- Still don't appear to know what it takes to make itemization fun.

What are all your thoughts on the upcoming Expansion, have Blizz learned lessons of the past year?

IncGamers Member

Re: Do you Think the D3 Expansion Will "Fix" Diablo 3?

Tbh i would really like if they toned down the damage players currently throw around, critting for six sometimes seven digits is way too high for my liking. It's somthing you notice a few times then turn a blind eye to since its too many numbers to bother counting! They wouldnt have to actually nerf items or even crit damage.

I hoped they'd do that many many patches ago but they never did since it would call for a whole rebalance of skills, monters damage/health player damage reduction from resists/armor and probably needing 10 main stat for 1% enhanced damage isntead of 1=1 - tthis last one would help to adress itemization a little and make vitality a little more attractive too.

This is probably the sole reason they didnt have pvp in game at launch and why its taken so long to "balance" and its still a mess and doesnt include 2v2 DM. If they dont adress this with the expansion then i expect to be throwing around crits for several million -________-

Would have thought that they had learned this from WoW but the scaling here is already worse and that game has gone through many expansions, it was very short sighted of them imho, this is actually what i'd like them to fix more than itemization.

IncGamers Member

They can fix it if they really want to. They have lots of very talented and smart people on their staff and they also have their ear to what they community wants.

My only worry is they don't want to fix it, either out of

A. Business reasons

They clearly wanted to make D3 "accessible" (aka dumbed down, casual friendly, streamlined) and that clearly crippled the game. Whatever drove them to make it so carebear'ish then probably still exists now.

B. Ego

Hopefully with Wilson gone the new game director won't be so attached to the flawed aspects of the game. When you create something, you feel ownership of it and the need to protect and defend it, even if it's terrible. It's clear that core game elements of D3 need drastic change and the people who were responsible for the crappy systems might still be there, and thus very reluctant to scrap them, even if that's what's best.

So it's really not a matter of if they CAN fix it, they could make D3 into the best ARPG ever made easily if they really want to. But unfortunately Blizzard is a business who's job is to make as much money as possible and also run by humans who have emotions which can lead to bad decisions too.

IncGamers Member

I actually don't think the expansion will "fix" the game, but then again, I don't think the game is "broken."

I think there are two major issues with D3 right now from my perspective. I realize that this is not the majority perspective, nor is it even a popular one, as I have no desire to either play with others (in PvP or co-op) or use any AH. Still, for a single-player hack-and-slash loot-em-up game, these are the main/only problems I have:

1) The loot isn't really particularly fun, in and of itself. I've been able to clear Inferno, self-found, on every character, on at least MP1. Probably at some point doing single clears into Inferno A2, all my characters received loot drops that were essentially all they were going to have from a functionality perspective. In other words, by the time I got some decent combination of all res, vit, main stat, crit, crit damage, IAS, etc. on each slot, it was both sufficient and par for the course. At this point, I probably face no hard gearing choices, because none of the items in the game are really anything other than stat sticks. The way to address this is to make items more interesting, more overpowered in unorthodox ways, and considerably more plentiful (well, high quality interesting items, not items in general). Even if they patch in some cool CC procs or other crazy things, they'll be useless if you need multiple gear parts to complement one another, but the drop rates remain so low you'll never get them. My suggestion is that they pair gear with skills in interesting ways -- gear should either be a way to get a 7th skill or 4th passive via considerable affix investment, or a way of enhancing the skills you're already packing, directly, in non-boring ways. Boosting fire spells, boosting minions, massive defensive procs, there are so many things that can be done. But the problem is that doing this has two big drawbacks, which is why I think it won't be done: a) content becomes trivial if fun affixes can "break" the game, and b) in order to make gearing up for a purpose possible, drop rates have to be increased, but that's a distinctly anti-AH proposition. I mean, I'm okay with playing for a month to assemble some kind of fun gear set (doesn't have to be a literal set), but I've been playing since May and have found something like 4-5 usable legendaries/set items, so...

2) Combined with the drop rates, the procedurally-generated content isn't particularly rewarding because the challenge is pretty linear. Don't get me wrong, I love the MP system, but I also loved progressing through 1.0.4 Inferno and how rewarding that was. The problem with MP right now is that I'm at a point where I can easily survive in MP2/3/4, but there's not much of a point to playing them because things take longer to kill. And hitting the Diablo equivalent of bullet sponges isn't that fun, especially when both I and the mobs take a while to die. The thing is, my entire playtime now consists of picking a place to go and crushing things for a while. Is it fun? Sure, or I'd stop doing it. But there's not much of a chance of getting a fun drop (or any drop other than the ubiquitous yellows), and there's no real challenge. Procedurally-generated, randomized, challenge content would be awesome, but I don't think that fits the design aesthetic, because of the way the story mode is the be-all, end-all of content right now.

In other words, you can read this as, "Give me an endless dungeon with decent drop rates and I'd be happy forever," but I think both aspects of that are things Blizzard doesn't really want to commit to.

BattleTag nurman-2854

What if I told you there was nothing that needed fixing?

BattleTag Ignatius-1870

I definitely see the chat interface getting an overhaul. They absolutely must know about this, and Blizzard tends to do what people want, though not nearly fast enough for most people's tastes. I mean, they've personally commented on the UI redesign thread and there have been dozens of threads asking for better chat/communication interfaces.

I won't comment on PvP since I couldn't care less and am therefore the wrong person to ask. lol

I really hope the new director understands itemization because I don't think anyone over there does at all. The legendary upgrades were only successful because it gave players a few GG items to chase, which is what this game is about, but in doing so, they've made most drops obsolete. Not to mention the AH/RMAH is built on good loot being super rare in order to maintain a strong economy, which is why the entire system is built around ridiculous randomized drops -- even with high MF.

My predictions are fairly cynical. I'd be very surprised if they won any of the disillusioned back with this expansion. They'd have to blow everything up to satisfy those players, and I don't see that happening.
    Last edited by TheDestructor; 30-01-2013 at 00:37.

I think there is too much wrong with the core game, that no amount of "patching" will probably be able to fix it.

Unless D3 does what the latest expansion for SINS does and essentially include an entire new game by itself, or what FFXIV does and completely re-write the game, I just don't see the game improving beyond the superficial.

I've written it off as a lost cause created by a development team that was in over its head. We'll see what happens with D4 in ten years (if the franchise even survives to have one created).

Banned

Expansion can't fix it. The core is rotten.

IncGamers Member SuggestiveName's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quingu View Post
    Expansion can't fix it. The core is rotten.
    I've seen this sentiment stated before and I simply don't get it. From my perspective the "core" of the game is the actual "push buttons, click mouse, demons explode" bit, which is generally accepted to be quite good. The areas of rottenness seem to be the story and itemization. Other concerns like chat upgrades, named games, moving between acts, etc. could all be patched in without an expansion. If the expansion was 1 or 2 acts of decent story, a totally rebuilt item system, a new system like runes/charms to keep things interesting, and whatever other fixes didn't make it into patches it could be a classic. (Not that this is a given, or even likely - but don't call it impossible.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Jaroh View Post
    I think there is too much wrong with the core game, that no amount of "patching" will probably be able to fix it.

Unless D3 does what the latest expansion for SINS does and essentially include an entire new game by itself, or what FFXIV does and completely re-write the game, I just don't see the game improving beyond the superficial.

I've written it off as a lost cause created by a development team that was in over its head. We'll see what happens with D4 in ten years (if the franchise even survives to have one created).
    Opinions can't be wrong, so I instead disagree. The "core" is fun. Playing through normal had me interested and I enjoyed learning the skills and picking a build.

There just is not a good enough "carrot" for me, nor is there enough "obscure fun".

Fix items and social interaction as well as a couple little things.

-There needs to be low and mid level sets and legendaries, plain and simple, that people want to use
    -Not being able to travel between acts via wps was a serious mis-step

-named games and chat channels.

Game is more fun already.