Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    Banned

Least auction house dependant class

I haven't long been playing. I can't seem to make my mind up with what class i should roll with. So far i have checked the skill videos, and armor looks, and at the moment i would order them Demon Hunter, Wizard, Barbarian , WitchDoctor, and Monk. I hear about classes relying on the auction to progress, so i thought i would ask. It would also be nice if people could input about playing solo; i hear Barbarian and Witch Doctor.

D3 Trade Moderator
    America, USEast (D2)
    Newcomer Moderator

Re: Least auction house dependant class

Thats a tough question. Its like asking which class is least item dependent. And, well, the entire game is item dependent so you just need to ask yourself if you want to play self found or mostly self found or use the AH full on.

Some folks try to not use the Ah at all and are successful at it. Folks that are playing self found are certainly not geared as good as those that use the AH.

I have been playing mostly self found (since so much of the game is based on your weapon I shop for that on the AH) but have been trying to find my own gear. It is a struggle and I am starting to get bored in inferno finding upgrades. The walk from normal to inferno I have done numerous times without gear from the AH. You might find you will have to do some crafting along the way to fill in "holes" in your gear where the game has not dropped you the gear you need. The blacksmith can help there for sure but not the same as shopping from the AH. It will be more cost effective to Buy from the AH than salvage items and pay gold and craft. However it is not too expensive to craft until you get to late hell and infero level 60 pieces.

Now, after saying all that most of it does not matter much until you get to level 60 and are looking for end game gear. That is where it gets real tough to farm upgrades. Upgrades will be much easier to find if you don't use the AH at all.

Are you asking which charater is better solo? I have had success with all but Witch Doc (have not leveled one of them yet) playing solo. That does not hold you back. I find playing with friends much more fun though.

All my comments are based on the Gold AH not the RMAH.

BattleTag nurman-2854

Having played a barb, monk and a WD to 60 (and a wiz to 50s), I'd say WD is the best for solo due to pets. It's hard to say though, because everyone ARE item dependent. The worst would be, in my opinion, monk or wizard.

IncGamers Member

I have all classes to 60 and then some. In the current (1.06) patch, my money's on the WD. Like nurman said, you have your tanky pets, but you also have Spirit Vessel, Spirit Walk, and a variety of other defensive abilities. For offense? You've got Zombie Bears to blast elite packs in seconds even with relatively pitiful dps, various buffs and debuffs on cooldowns to increase that pitiful dps, Acid Cloud and Rain of Toads if you want some of the best proc coefficients in the game for LoH, and more. Also, don't forget that all those tanky pets mean that you have to kite less, and thus need less dps to get the job done in the same time.

The way the WD's abilities work together make him, in my opinion, the least gear-dependent class for now.

Agree with everyone here; WD is the class to go if you don't want to use the AH.

I play solo exclusively and don't use the AH at all. It's more fun that way

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag iMikee-2957

I play WD on hardcore and the pets will save you many times over. Some builds are very gear dependant but basic builds like the above mentioned doesnt even require critical hit chance which can make self found alot easier!

IncGamers Member

If summoner style suits you I can also confirm that WD is a solid choice. If you plan to go mostly self found then it's possible to go with either 1-handed + offhand or slow big dps 2-hander. This allows little more room in what should drop for you in game.

If you get nice 1-hand + offhand combo you can spam faster spells with smaller mana cost. But if you find BIG 2-hander (like slow mace) you can switch your skills little and maybe go with locust swarm (pestilence). Since you have pets to tank you're not much taking hits, thus no shield needed and you can go more and more glass cannon yourself.

WD's don't have many healing abilities but they have many other ways to get by. I enjoyed taking my WD to 60. I'm sure you would too.

-Causa

IncGamers Member

Mark down another for WD. I traded in chat for a weapon, which i have since upgraded, everything else is self found. As for getting to lvl 60 it can be done easily with all characters. My DH was the hardest for me, but that could simply be a case of bad drops, The Barb i beat Hell before even reaching lvl 60 with. Only played WD through Inferno, so thats the only one i can speak about for self found, but its definitely doable.