Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1.0.7 - Let's drop some bells - towards a more active playstyle.

Looking at the patch notes, I noticed wave of light is getting a huge damage increase. This got me thinking if I could include it in my cookie cutter build, since I've been getting a bit bored lately. I've come up with the following build:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...Ygk!bUX!Yaccaa

Now that the weapon damage of wave of light is increased to 829%, I feel like it could do great burst damage. The only problem is, as has often been mentioned, the monk lacks ways to get a lot of spirit, and most spenders cost too much. I've tried to get around these problems by using fists of thunder - quickening as a generator, and adding exalted soul as a passive. I've been trying this build today on 1.0.6, and it's already showing a lot of potential. I'll write down the cons and pros of this build that I've found so far:

Cons:
    - You lose fists of lightning - thunderclap, which means losing mobility.
    - You lose breath of heaven - blazing wrath as a heal AND as a passive damage increase.
    - You lose a passive to exalted soul. Not a big deal in my opinion, since most are rubbish anyway.

Pros:
    - You can do great (burst) damage using wave of light.
    - You generate spirit really quick.
    - Life per spirit spent greatly benefits from this as well.
    - A more active playstyle.

I know this build is in no way revolutionary, but for me, it has really increased the fun I have while playing my monk. A more regular build would focus more on passive buffs to maximize the output of thunderclap and sweeping winds. This build however, takes away some of that passive power, to facilitate a more active playstyle.

One of the things I like about this build, is that you can choose WHEN you want to do great damage. When a tough elite groups comes up, you can really kill them in a second. I've been using the combination 'blind -> overawe -> WoL -> WoL -> ..' with great success. I'm currently using this build for fun in 1.0.6, but when 1.0.7 arrives, I can't imagine the damage it will do!

The great thing is, you still have enough spirit to activate sweeping winds before the fight starts. I'm not currently running with any gear that gives spirit back, and I'm never short of it. This build might really benefit from life per spirit spent, therefore it might increase the use of transcendence as well.

I haven't started this thread to tell anyone this is the best build around, or this is the build you should use when 1.0.7 arrives. I'd like to get a discussion going about what you all think of this build, and if it could be a viable alternative to the usual SS build. My own monk only has 75k dps at the moment. Therefore, I've only tested this build on lower monster levels. Is there some huge flaw in this build I'm not seeing? Is the loss of thunderclap simply too big to justify this more active playstyle?
    Last edited by Contego; 23-01-2013 at 20:15.

Re: 1.0.7 - Let's drop some bells - towards a more active playstyle.

I've been playing around with this build in 1.06:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/L...8/hero/9726373

I'm really looking forward to testing this out in the new patch, because Wave of Light already crushes things if you build around it.
    With a standard Thunderclap/Cyclone build, you're looking for high crit chance and high attack speed to maximize your tornado output; spirit regeneration isn't particularly important because you're probably only using it to spam Overawe.
    If you want to maximize Wave of Light, though, you definitely have to find a consistent source of mass generation.

I tried Quickening and Strike from Beyond; although they fill your spirit bulb almost instantaneously, I couldn't live with the reduced mobility vs. Thunderclap. I also played around with a high speed duel-wielding variant, but the Bell damage output was only fair and I found myself killing most enemies with Thunderclap/Cyclone anyway.

So ultimately, I went for the full-tilt Skorn build, relying almost entirely on passive spirit regen sources (1.7 from Hat + 1.8 from SoJ + 1 from Exalted Soul + 3 from Inner Storm = 7.5 + 35% from Guardian Path = 10.1 spirit/sec). Since I'm not spamming Overawe, I swapped it for Submission, which pings enemies for 14% of Skorn damage every second. Also benefiting from the big axe is Fulminating Onslaught, which can demolish enemy packs and doubles as a defensive ability.

This build does run out of spirit in long fights, so I try to pick off single whites with Thunderclap to save the bells for big packs and elites. I tried swapping in Chant of Resonance at one point, but I found it unnecessary most of the time on MP0/1. For higher MP settings, extra spirit regen would definitely be necessary. Another negative is that Life on Hit mods are severely hobbled by the low attack rate and dismal 11% proc rate of bells.

One option I've considered but haven't tested yet is the combination of Quickening/Strike from Beyond with one of the 75 spirit Wave of Light runes. Explosive Light is devastating and easier to aim (or rather, not aim) than bells, and Blinding Light can lock down bosses indefinitely. The high generation/high expenditure model would also make the most of Life Per Spirit Spent mods. Unfortunately, this loadout would give up the mobility and versatility of Thunderclap and probably reduce overall damage output by forcing more spirit-generating strikes.
    Last edited by LordC; 22-01-2013 at 23:23.

IncGamers Member

Chant of Resonance >> Exalted Soul if you aren't spamming MOC.

Don't forget to use Templar resource skill for +12% spirit generation.

It's really worth getting high spirit regen in your SOJ and Inna helm even if you have to ignore the other stats on them. Xephirian amulet can be good too, although expensive. The life regen helps, and you can get up to 2878 life/kill stat.

4 piece Inna's saves a lot with SW only costing 5 spirit. It's cheap enough to spam in between battles to keep your inner storm at the required 3 stacks all the time.

LOH becomes pretty useless in this build. Either you need to get some LS (very expensive) or some life/kill (very cheap). Extra pickup range for health globes, extra health from health globes.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/G.../hero/21891245

I haven't tried this yet, but Exploding Palm - Strong Spirit may be a cheap way to fill up.
    I want to try this but ... when I am on PTR dueling is just too much fun to do anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by gakky View Post
    Chant of Resonance >> Exalted Soul if you aren't spamming MOC.
    I've found quite the opposite; the ability to drop six bells in a row as soon as you reach a pack is crucial, and the spirit regen is high enough with either passive to fill the bulb by the time the next pack shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by gakky View Post
    LOH becomes pretty useless in this build. Either you need to get some LS (very expensive) or some life/kill (very cheap). Extra pickup range for health globes, extra health from health globes.
    Agreed. Health Globes Grant +X Life and +X Life Per Kill seem to be valued as junk stats right now, and they can spawn with astonishingly high values.

Gakky, I'm fascinated that you've opted against using Wave of Light in your particular build. I know that Thunderclap + Sweeping Wind can dish out brutal damage without any help, but where do you vent your extra spirit?

I've found quite the opposite; the ability to drop six bells in a row as soon as you reach a pack is crucial, and the spirit regen is high enough with either passive to fill the bulb by the time the next pack shows up.
    I've actually found the same. For this build, it's great to have some extra spirit stacked, so you can unleash it on an elite pack. The combination I mentioned in my first post mentioned the combination 'blind -> overawe -> bells', which does great damage. It's interesting to see that others have been thinking about including wave of light as well.

IncGamers Member

without any mobility; how do you actually deal with stunlock-combos? LIke a jailer, frozen, arcane & desecrator combo? Sure serenity can break 1 of combo them, but then a second time a ccc happens you die, especially if something like an arcane & desecrator are fired on you.

This build would hence depend very much on killing elites before they have a chance to do their combo twice.

Quote Originally Posted by pulli View Post
    without any mobility; how do you actually deal with stunlock-combos? LIke a jailer, frozen, arcane & desecrator combo? Sure serenity can break 1 of combo them, but then a second time a ccc happens you die, especially if something like an arcane & desecrator are fired on you.

This build would hence depend very much on killing elites before they have a chance to do their combo twice.
    A very good question, one that I've been thinking about today. I've mostly been playing on low monster levels, where this problem doesn't really occur. It might be an option to get thunderclap back. However, that would put a lot of pressure on your gear/passives to get enough spirit to be able to spam wave of light.

Another slight problem I encountered today, was facing elites than keep running away all the time. This just to be no problem, since thunderclap just keeps teleporting to catch up. This is another downside of this build. Chasing treasure goblins is harder. However, I was able to one-shot some of them, with a simple blind -> WoL combination

I guess it all depends on how much damage WoL will do after the patch, and if that justifies losing some mobility. I'll edit the opening post to include this.

Options for dealing with CCC: Seven-Sided Strike, Pacifism, or just play smarter when Serenity's on cooldown.
    As for chasing down monsters: whenever I pulled out Thunderclap, I found room for Dashing Strike or Sudden Assault; both of these worked for chasing monsters, but they just felt underpowered and awkward in comparison. Cyclone Strike could be another option with the damage boost. I've never had any luck with Strike from Beyond, but I know it has its fans as well; it does have the crucial benefit of directly replacing a slotted ability so you don't have to give up Blinding Light.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Contego View Post
    A very good question, one that I've been thinking about today. I've mostly been playing on low monster levels, where this problem doesn't really occur. It might be an option to get thunderclap back. However, that would put a lot of pressure on your gear/passives to get enough spirit to be able to spam wave of light.

Another slight problem I encountered today, was facing elites than keep running away all the time. This just to be no problem, since thunderclap just keeps teleporting to catch up. This is another downside of this build. Chasing treasure goblins is harder. However, I was able to one-shot some of them, with a simple blind -> WoL combination

I guess it all depends on how much damage WoL will do after the patch, and if that justifies losing some mobility. I'll edit the opening post to include this.
    Can't you fit dashing strike somewhere in there? I'd really like to vouch for that; especially in such a high-sprit regeneration build: you can spam it to "GTFO". And at the other side also use it to chase (constantly), cover ground very quickly (using the dozens of popables).

BattleTag Duskmourn-1569

So I am actually considering doing something with bells in 1.07. It's a bit of a drastic change in mindset, but my goal is to completely remove the desire for crit and crit damage stacking from my gear entirely.

Here is my idea:
    use Templar
    stack spirit generator damage bonus on gear
    stack attack speed
    stack passive spirit regen from gear
    stack dex and more dex
    keep lifesteal
    initially keep high all res+main resist type.
    try and avoid using extra spirit regen passives.

So here's my character and here is what I am thinking of using: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/D...9/hero/1227391
    WotHF, Spirited salvo (every activation has a 15% chance for 15 spirit)
    BoH, Blazing Wrath
    Wave of Light, Explosive light
    Dashing Strike,Quicksilver or Mystic Ally, Air Ally
    Sweeping Inner Storm
    MoC, Overawe. or MoE Backlash with Mystic Air.
    Transcendence/Guardian's with backlash
    OwE
    Seize

If you look at my current rings, helm, and weapons you can see that it's easy to achieve plenty of spirit regen from gear. All I really need is a crystal fist with spirit regen and a socket to get the new Marquisse Ruby sometime in the distant future. You can actually achieve over 40 increased damage to spirit generator with a mara's kaleidescope. I'd still get Inna's belt and the rest would focus on purely dexterity, AR, and for me Fire Res with Vile Ward sometime.

This would indeed be a project. I haven't run any numbers because I don't.