Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    747

    Best weapon for necro act 5 merc

    Hi... i've got a poison nova necro with act5 merc


    I'd like to know your opinions about the best weapon.

    I use a grief at the moment... but has 2 problems:
    1 No crushing blow... necro is slow in killing boss, that would be a huge help
    2 Chance to cast venom... i guess that venom and poison nova scrub each other


    Death runeword seems very good, but still gives a problem:
    Chance to cast ice blast... this means less bodies to explode


    So what would you advice? I need CB and not any freeze mod... and of course, good damage, ias and so on are always welcome

  2. #2
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    369

    Re: Best weapon for necro act 5 merc

    Quote Originally Posted by Erfel View Post
    Hi... i've got a poison nova necro with act5 merc


    I'd like to know your opinions about the best weapon.

    I use a grief at the moment... but has 2 problems:
    1 No crushing blow... necro is slow in killing boss, that would be a huge help
    2 Chance to cast venom... i guess that venom and poison nova scrub each other


    Death runeword seems very good, but still gives a problem:
    Chance to cast ice blast... this means less bodies to explode


    So what would you advice? I need CB and not any freeze mod... and of course, good damage, ias and so on are always welcome
    Grief won't interfere with your Poison Nova, but it won't help it either. My favorite weapon for an Act V merc that I've used so far has been Last Wish. Really turns that merc into a force to be reckoned with, but for a necro, the Life Tap wouldn't be useful and might be annoying. Other than the Life Tap proc, it has everything you'd want.

    Death's Glacial Spikes don't shatter that many corpses really. I've used a Holy Freeze merc with a necro and still had plenty of corpses to blow up, and Death's proc is even less problematic there. Unless you're dead-set against anything that can freeze monsters, you'll probably never mind the Glacial Spikes.

    There are other options, but none of them come close to the damage output from Last Wish or Death.

    Edit: Since you're likely casting Lower Resist a lot anyway for your Poison Nova, the procs on Destruction (which don't do cold damage) would get boosted damage from your curse, and the runeword does have decent mods and some Crushing Blow, albeit a lot less than Death or Last Wish. Might be worth a shot if you can't stand Death and Last Wish.

  3. #3
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    747

    Re: Best weapon for necro act 5 merc

    Life tap will override lower resist, so it wasn't considered at all.
    Destruction was another good choice, but seems to be too expensive, compared to death, and not so better (or even worse).

    Glacial spike looks to be a hard problem against 4th baal's wave... poison immune monsters... what if i can't explode their corpses? :S
    I can easily kill only with nova almost any other monster in game, so it's not a problem.

    Anyway i think i'll go for it :/

    Thank you

  4. #4
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    747

    Re: Best weapon for necro act 5 merc

    Another question... better colossus blade or colossus sword?

  5. #5
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    369

    Re: Best weapon for necro act 5 merc

    Quote Originally Posted by Erfel View Post
    Glacial spike looks to be a hard problem against 4th baal's wave... poison immune monsters... what if i can't explode their corpses? :S
    I can easily kill only with nova almost any other monster in game, so it's not a problem.
    You just reminded me why I never built a Nova-focused necro. Dagger-wielders can still stab unbreakable poison immunes (or switch to Grief and smack them with it, which is what I did a lot of the time).

    As for Corpse Explosion, if your merc is actually landing so many hits with Death that his Glacial Spikes are shattering the venom lords, then good for him. With no damage from Poison Nova to help him out, he can't tank all those venom lords for long enough to actually kill them. Of course, you could use curses, bone prisons and such to string them out. I guess if your merc is your only source of non-poison damage, that's what you'd have to do. In that case, as long as you keep him from getting swarmed and help him out with Decrepify and/or Life Tap, he can kill them. Corpse Explosion expedites that and there is some chance that a Glacial Spike proc could prevent a corpse from appearing, but it'd be a lot faster than a merc with a crappier weapon and no lost corpses during the fight.

    Oh, now that I think about it, I remember this fight well. If you have it, Revive on any necromancer lets you power through Baal's minions. Pick up some frenzytaurs on the way to Baal, then start replacing them with Horadrim ancients or council members, and finally venom lords. Lister spawns and gets a face full of venom lord attacks. Venom lords swarm Baal. Fun stuff.

    As for Colossus Sword and Colossus Blade, I think it's a matter of preference. I've usually used the blade, but maybe just because that's what I found as an ethereal. I forget. I think the blade does have more sheer DPS due to its faster swing, but that might depend on IAS from other gear...

  6. #6
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    477

    Re: Best weapon for necro act 5 merc

    The runeword Kingslayer got 33% chrushing blow 30 IAS but a bit lower raw physical damage then the top end runwords like Death and Last wish, no cold damage or other curse that you don't want.

    Another option is to equip a gulliames face helmet on your merc for 35% chrushing blow but then you'd have to get a weapon with life leech like a BOTD. However the merc will spam lvl 20 posion novas, i'm not sure how this would interfer with your own poison damage.

  7. #7
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    369

    Re: Best weapon for necro act 5 merc

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbix View Post
    Another option is to equip a gulliames face helmet on your merc for 35% chrushing blow but then you'd have to get a weapon with life leech like a BOTD. However the merc will spam lvl 20 posion novas, i'm not sure how this would interfer with your own poison damage.
    It wouldn't interfere. The higher-level Poison Nova cast by the necromancer won't be overriden by the BOTD procs. And yeah, if you want to get crushing blow from a helm and armor instead of a weapon, Breath of the Dying is a pretty obvious candidate for the best sword to give your merc.

  8. #8
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    747

    Re: Best weapon for necro act 5 merc

    Quote Originally Posted by Namtar View Post
    It wouldn't interfere. The higher-level Poison Nova cast by the necromancer won't be overriden by the BOTD procs. And yeah, if you want to get crushing blow from a helm and armor instead of a weapon, Breath of the Dying is a pretty obvious candidate for the best sword to give your merc.
    Really they don't interfere? Are you sure? I always read about not giving andy's when using poison nova necro.

    if your merc is actually landing so many hits with Death that his Glacial Spikes are shattering the venom lords, then good for him. With no damage from Poison Nova to help him out, he can't tank all those venom lords for long enough to actually kill them
    Definitly he CAN... Amplify damage, then after two venom lords are dead, CE and you've finished... my merc don't even lose life, usually. You probably use andy and he's low fire resistance, maybe?

    Breath of the dying is a great option, i don't know why I didn't even think about it.


    I use at the moment
    Arreat's face (6% ll)
    Fortitude
    Grief


    So the two choice still to consider are:
    Guillaume + botd (GB)

    or:
    arreat + death (AD)

    GB has 60% ias, AD 0. GB has some more damage, but less CB. GB also have more life leech (12-15 against 6), but i don't care that much about it, my merc almost never die.
    What's really good of AD is the huge boost to attack rating (40% bonus) + 20 dex + 50 attack rating), while GB only has 30 dex, and then +4 to bash and stun.

    I really can't choose (i'm not rich enough to try both).

    Please help T.T

    P.S.
    I have a good jewel 35% ed 15% ias i would use in arreat, if choosing AD

  9. #9
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    369

    Re: Best weapon for necro act 5 merc

    Quote Originally Posted by Erfel View Post
    Really they don't interfere? Are you sure? I always read about not giving andy's when using poison nova necro.
    I don't know what all of the mechanics are behind it, but since your higher damage Poison Novas seem to block your own Poison Novas (cast it and recast it repeatedly and sometimes the newer one doesn't get applied to targets already under the older one), I'd assume that's also true for BOTD Poison Nova. Since your native Poison Nova will be far more powerful than the one cast by BOTD, the one cast by BOTD wouldn't override yours and would be overridden by yours.

    Definitly he CAN... Amplify damage, then after two venom lords are dead, CE and you've finished... my merc don't even lose life, usually. You probably use andy and he's low fire resistance, maybe?
    What? No. Why would you decide I'm using some item that I'm not? I don't think I even have Andariel's Visage, actually. Which is a bit weird, because I've collected almost every unique over the years. Oh well...

    No, I didn't have a problem with Ventar's pack on my poison necro, as I was using something like a dozen revives as tanks, I was wielding Grief, and my merc was wielding Infinity. I'd have been using Corpse Explosion too, but I was reviving them for fighting Lister's pack and Baal (/players 8, so two Corpse Explosions wouldn't have been enough to kill any of them anyway).

    Ventar's pack can do a lot of damage, so for characters that don't have summoned minions to tank their attacks, I've lost my mercenaries on several occasions, even very high-damage mercenaries with life leech. But I've yet to try it with a barbarian merc that has a powerful runeword sword (such as Death) and Amplify Damage, so maybe he could pull it off, or at least kill enough of them for your Corpse Explosions to finish the rest.

    I use at the moment
    Arreat's face (6% ll)
    Fortitude
    Grief


    So the two choice still to consider are:
    Guillaume + botd (GB)

    or:
    arreat + death (AD)

    GB has 60% ias, AD 0. GB has some more damage, but less CB. GB also have more life leech (12-15 against 6), but i don't care that much about it, my merc almost never die.
    What's really good of AD is the huge boost to attack rating (40% bonus) + 20 dex + 50 attack rating), while GB only has 30 dex, and then +4 to bash and stun.

    I really can't choose (i'm not rich enough to try both).

    Please help T.T

    P.S.
    I have a good jewel 35% ed 15% ias i would use in arreat, if choosing AD
    I've never used BOTD in a two-handed sword (or any sword for that matter, I guess). I'd imagine it would be quite good, but then Death is really good too. Both of the choices you're considering make sense to me. If you need more life leech, it's not hard to just cast Life Tap and let your merc's health refill in a single hit, so that advantage of BOTD isn't as important. With that and the Deadly Strike and Crushing Blow in mind, I'd lean in favor of the Death + Arreat's Face option. Then again, that IAS could really make a difference, and you wouldn't be losing any corpses to the Glacial Spikes either.

  10. #10
    D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator Mad Mantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    In a cave
    Posts
    11,011

    Re: Best weapon for necro act 5 merc

    Quote Originally Posted by Namtar View Post
    I don't know what all of the mechanics are behind it, but since your higher damage Poison Novas seem to block your own Poison Novas (cast it and recast it repeatedly and sometimes the newer one doesn't get applied to targets already under the older one), I'd assume that's also true for BOTD Poison Nova. Since your native Poison Nova will be far more powerful than the one cast by BOTD, the one cast by BOTD wouldn't override yours and would be overridden by yours.
    Correct. The Nova with the highest damage per frame is the one being used. The source of the Nova doesn't matter.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •