Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1
    IncGamers Member coju's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tkjo
    Posts
    4,549

    Ubuntu 12.10 and Social Networking

    Hola Community!

    I just installed ubuntu on my laptop, making it a dedicated "Lapuntu." Pretty excited.
    A couple of years ago I got rid of my facebook account. Delete/Deactivation, whichever is the lengthier process.
    I'm wanting to 'expand my profile' (work-wise ((looking to get into networking/programming/security)) ) and believe that, as much as I hate to get into it, Social-Networking is where it's at. Whether it's just advertising through FB or Twitter, or instagraming it up with random pictures and all that jazz. If being familiar with Tweeting and Google+ is the wave of the future, I want to ride this hypnotic wave to profit.

    1.
    2.
    3. ???
    4. PROFIT!

    I'm looking ahead to step 4 and your advice, comments, opinions, suggestions.

    Looking for ubuntu integrations. Just installed ubuntu and am sure I'll find what I'm looking for once I get into it some, but what are your favorites and what do you enjoy using ubuntu for?

  2. #2
    IncGamers Member BobCox2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UnderYourDoorMat
    BattleTag What Me Worry?
    Posts
    10,824

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 and Social Networking

    Congrats on taking the jump - do you not like google+?

  3. #3
    IncGamers Member jmervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12,936

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 and Social Networking

    Quote Originally Posted by coju View Post
    Looking for ubuntu integrations. Just installed ubuntu and am sure I'll find what I'm looking for once I get into it some, but what are your favorites and what do you enjoy using ubuntu for?
    Honestly, I use Ubuntu 12.04 because I prefer a stable & safe platform, not because I appreciate the social media aspects. In some ways I don't even like the necessity to 'look up' what you're going to do through Unity.

    I don't know if your plan for success is really going to get you anywhere using social media. If <I> had copious free time i.e. was unemployed or just starting out, do you know what I'd do with FOSS? Educational and SPED software. There's so much horrific, obsolete, worthless crap out there that makes ungodly amounts of profit, it is staggering. Just this winter I was looking at a crap-tastic port of old Apple code into Windows, and checked the publication date. NINETEEN EIGHTY-SEVEN!! This company has been charging several hundred dollars a pop for a worthless piece of crap code since 1987 and hasn't bothered with decent code maintenance the whole time!

    THAT's the way to make some serious cash...

  4. #4
    IncGamers Member coju's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tkjo
    Posts
    4,549

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 and Social Networking

    Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    Congrats on taking the jump - do you not like google+?
    Thank you! Haven't tried google+. Reckon I may need to!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    Honestly, I use Ubuntu 12.04 because I prefer a stable & safe platform, not because I appreciate the social media aspects. In some ways I don't even like the necessity to 'look up' what you're going to do through Unity.

    I don't know if your plan for success is really going to get you anywhere using social media. If <I> had copious free time i.e. was unemployed or just starting out, do you know what I'd do with FOSS? Educational and SPED software. There's so much horrific, obsolete, worthless crap out there that makes ungodly amounts of profit, it is staggering. Just this winter I was looking at a crap-tastic port of old Apple code into Windows, and checked the publication date. NINETEEN EIGHTY-SEVEN!! This company has been charging several hundred dollars a pop for a worthless piece of crap code since 1987 and hasn't bothered with decent code maintenance the whole time!

    THAT's the way to make some serious cash...
    Are you saying that you would update old software? The class I'm taking currently is programming some simplistic code right now. Just the second class in the major. I am enjoying it.
    Were you looking at that code as part of a job, or just craps-and-laughs?

    As for unity: I don't care much for it either, at last I didn't last time I played with ubuntu.
    Guess if I'm wanting to try this stuff out I need to try it out!

  5. #5
    IncGamers Member jmervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12,936

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 and Social Networking

    Quote Originally Posted by coju View Post
    Are you saying that you would update old software? The class I'm taking currently is programming some simplistic code right now. Just the second class in the major. I am enjoying it.
    Were you looking at that code as part of a job, or just craps-and-laughs?
    No. I specifically mean that what I seeing and am having to install or support ought to be illegal - forcible guidance of sole-purveyor purchases by pseudo-gov't-al agencies of absolute crap software with YOUR tax dollars, from "educational" software providers that are still marketing code that ought to have been in the knacker's yard over a decade ago.

    This stuff is hardly rocket science; I cobbled together a voting program for Elementary level kids in my spare time using my outdated VB skillz, and it was more sophisticated than many examples I've worked with over the years. When they switch to Internet systems, they're basically tacking a canned front end on their grossly obsolete products, and often don't even pay attention to data security. Most of the school management systems aren't even RDBMS-based, but FLAT FILE!

    Here's a couple of such companies that I often feel deserve to be brought up on RICO charges:
    • Crick (marketing crap like Paint with extremely punitive licensing arrangements which supposedly has special SPED/handicapped interactivity)
    • Sunburst (re-selling ancient crap that was good back in the day, like Oregon Trail)
    • Pearson (specializing in the "buy out other companies and own their customer base" model ala M$FT)
    • Mayer-Johnson (like Crick, marketing everyday dross supposedly with souped-up SPED capability, with vicious licensing restrictions)


    There are a <few> educational software companies that have decent products and fair quality management, but they're vastly outnumbered by the suck. Ray Kurzweil, for example, has made a killing with what I consider a substantially stupid product (he basically bashed Windows Text-to-Speech with a WYSIWYG Acrobat clone using a .KES extension instead of .PDF) but at least Kurzweil makes sure that they keep the product more or less maintained. It was buggier than a biker's windscreen, but those bugs are mostly ironed out without need to make fresh (massive) investments.

    It goes without saying that these dross-pushers are desperately jockeying for parts of the uber-Gov't CCC initiatives (one, two). They put more effort into their web pages than they do their products! NOTE: Everything I'm saying is my own dam'fool opinion and doesn't represent the views of the U.S. Gov't, its subsidiary agencies, the Dept. of Education, Adam Levine, or my coprophagistic puppy.

  6. #6
    IncGamers Member BobCox2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UnderYourDoorMat
    BattleTag What Me Worry?
    Posts
    10,824

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 and Social Networking

    Well it must be working I bumped this thread.

    Good job boy.

    jmervyn



    Sic Him but stick to looking/sounding scary and don't kill

    OK boy?

  7. #7
    IncGamers Member jmervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12,936

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 and Social Networking

    Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    Well it must be working I bumped this thread.

    Good job boy.

    jmervyn



    Sic Him but stick to looking/sounding scary and don't kill

    OK boy?
    That made no sense whatsoever, Bob. Was it supposed to?

  8. #8
    IncGamers Member BobCox2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UnderYourDoorMat
    BattleTag What Me Worry?
    Posts
    10,824

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 and Social Networking

    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    That made no sense whatsoever, Bob. Was it supposed to?
    It was directed to Coju.
    Last edited by BobCox2; 31-01-2013 at 07:05.

  9. #9
    IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tech Support! TECH SUPPORT!!
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ
    Posts
    7,005

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 and Social Networking

    Cujo, could you please tell Bob that his post made no sense whatsoever and ask him what it was supposed to be?

  10. #10
    IncGamers Member Stevinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    chicagoland
    Posts
    5,003

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 and Social Networking

    Quote Originally Posted by LozHinge the Unhinged View Post
    Cujo, could you please tell Bob that his post made no sense whatsoever and ask him what it was supposed to be?
    Good luck with that. i've been chatting with Bob for over a decade on two different forums and I only understand a fraction of what he says. At one point we exchanged emails for some reason or another, and i thought it was a fake address because those DID make sense. He's an enigma wrapped in a confuzzle, wrapped in tasty bacon of awesome dipped in tarter sauce. Also, i suspect a drug induced fog.

    Anyway, my vast bob experience tells me he meant that because Coju didn't come back and post in this thread again, whatever all that stuff Jmerv said must have worked/helped. Putting Jmerv's profile up there was either a virtual fist bump to merv, or showing Coju how to message him. The last cryptic bit was about how to handle jmerv. I'm only semi-fluent, but I think he was saying to be firm but not mean. The whole thing loses a lot in translation. Kinda like Klingon Poetry.

    man, i remember the days when people had to translate bob for me. Memories.....


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •