Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

Diablo II LOD on Windows 8

I'm testing a number of games on Windows 8 for a couple of gaming forums. I did the same when Windows 7 was first released. I had no issues at all with either Diablo I or Diablo II LOD on Windows 7.

When I installed Diablo II LOD on Windows 8, I got a message that there were known compatibility issues with the game and this OS and a link to these forums was provided. I found no information here, however. I told the game to go ahead and install anyway - which it did just fine. I created an Assasin and played to level 10 - in Tristram I got stuck and killed. I could not return as the portal was no longer there. I did some more testing with getting killed and there were a couple more glitches.

So I switched the compatibility to Windows XP SP 3. I created another Assasin and have played to level 14. Everything is working quite well with one exception. When surrounded by multiple enemies, ie. dozens of carvers and demons, everything slows down to a crawl.

I'm using a computer which I built 4 years ago, so the components are not exactly cutting edge, but I use my computers until they no longer suit my purposes or croak beyond repair. My computer specs and any suggestions welcomed.

Windows 8 Pro, 64-bit
    Intel E8400 core 2 duo CPU @ 3.0 Ghtz
    Nvidia GTX 260 GPU
    4 GB RAM
    500 GB HDD
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card

BattleTag kestegs-1550

Re: Diablo II LOD on Windows 8

I think it's better to run it on SP 2 instead of 3, not sure if that'll help or not.

You could also try out sven's glide wrapper, that may help with the slowdown. (google it)

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    I think it's better to run it on SP 2 instead of 3, not sure if that'll help or not.

You could also try out sven's glide wrapper, that may help with the slowdown. (google it)

Tutorial for installing glide wrapper (perfect solution for me, game runs great) http://www.geekwithenvy.com/2012/11/...-on-windows-8/

IncGamers Member

Run as Admin too.