Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Banned

Re: The Next Director of Diablo 3...

Quote Originally Posted by bpward View Post
    I'm definitely with splitting it into 2 jobs. I don't understand how "game director" translates to PR unless we're talking having the director give a presentation of a game movie at Blizzcon. But appearances in Korea or any other place for any reason just sounds laughable. Game director should be at the studio at all times directing game development...
    It depends. Project Director is not the same as Project Manager or Lead Designer. From what we have seen, at Blizzard, Project Director is also the main PR person for that project.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by bpward View Post
    I'm definitely with splitting it into 2 jobs. I don't understand how "game director" translates to PR unless we're talking having the director give a presentation of a game movie at Blizzcon. But appearances in Korea or any other place for any reason just sounds laughable. Game director should be at the studio at all times directing game development...
    That's just driving the price up.. You know those 2 people don't work for nothing.

I much rather pay for extra designers than extra marketing gurus.

IncGamers Member

Yeah I'm finding it hard to not make a post slandering Blizzard. Anyways just from what I have seen of Jay's duties and his posts over the years, traveling to Korea to do marketing just sounds like something he shouldn't be doing. But as with the project manager vs. director vs. lead designer post, I obviously don't know all the details and who does what & why precisely. I do wonder how that marketing in Korea went though, or what exactly he was doing. I'd guess he does not know Korean to speak to them... what if he just stood there while someone fluent spoke... "Look everyone its Game Director, Jay Wilson!"
    Last edited by bpward; 05-02-2013 at 00:15.

IncGamers Member

They contracted out development to Runic!

D3 Amazon &
    Demon Hunter Moderator
    BattleTag Dacar92-1368

It's not a bad idea to leave the PR to the PR professionals. But the press (and the consumers) will want to speak with the game designers/directors. Any chance they get they will toss questions his/her way. Those questions will have to be answered at some point by the game director, not some PR person. People want to hear from the horses mouth, so to speak, not filtered PR-speak. And in this case we did!
    Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
    Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!

IncGamers Member

It's not a bad idea to leave the PR to the PR professionals.
    How is it "not a bad idea" to let people talk who have not first hand experience with the development? That is a terrible situation.

D3 Amazon &
    Demon Hunter Moderator
    BattleTag Dacar92-1368

Quote Originally Posted by pulli View Post
    How is it "not a bad idea" to let people talk who have not first hand experience with the development? That is a terrible situation.
    It happens all the time. The president doesn't talk to the press every day, but his press secretary does. He is a PR shill and knows how to spin. That's his job. Many companies employ PR people to produce news releases, hold press conferences etc. Their job is to make us, the consumer want to buy a product or somehow see their employer in a positive light. It's the way business and politics works.
    Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
    Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!