Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: The Next Director of Diablo 3...

Peter Jackson, he has experience with changing things.

D3 General & D2 Newcomer Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

Quote Originally Posted by fnaxqtr View Post
    Peter Jackson, he has experience with changing things.
    And with trolls, so he should be able to deal with the official forums.
    OH PLEASE HELP I found out why Waldo's always hiding he did so many horrible things please let me in he's righ

IncGamers Member

Moldran ? AlexanderBarin ?

Why is a Game Director title necessary? Why not split the responsibilities into two different persons? A project manager which does all the non-gaming work like taking care of peoples needs, schedules, PR and etc. The Project Manager doesn't need to be a gamer or have developing experience. The other should be an avid gamer in charge of putting the vision of the game in motion.

Jay was the "avid gamer" side of the Game Director responsibilities and he shouldn't have handled more than that. I think it's wrong that Blizzard tries to merge these two in one person. It's impossible to find someone who has strong skills on both areas. We have seen the results.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by themeros View Post
    Why is a Game Director title necessary? Why not split the responsibilities into two different persons? A project manager which does all the non-gaming work like taking care of peoples needs, schedules, PR and etc. The Project Manager doesn't need to be a gamer or have developing experience. The other should be an avid gamer in charge of putting the vision of the game in motion.

Jay was the "avid gamer" side of the Game Director responsibilities and he shouldn't have handled more than that. I think it's wrong that Blizzard tries to merge these two in one person. It's impossible to find someone who has strong skills on both areas. We have seen the results.
    A full job for someone who simply talks, and does some "PR"????

Don't make me laugh, that would be the most overpayed job ever. Really PR should be a side-job from simply everyone in a company, and putting someone specially for this is simply stupid, arrogant, and to top it of a waste of money. Simply what you describe are 2 jobs that are things that can be handled with maybe 2 days per week...
    SO a good sidejob for a programmer.

Quote Originally Posted by pulli View Post
    A full job for someone who simply talks, and does some "PR"????

Don't make me laugh, that would be the most overpayed job ever. Really PR should be a side-job from simply everyone in a company, and putting someone specially for this is simply stupid, arrogant, and to top it of a waste of money. Simply what you describe are 2 jobs that are things that can be handled with maybe 2 days per week...
    SO a good sidejob for a programmer.
    Oh boy... Do you even work? Such non-sense could not have come from someone with any experience in the real corporate world.

IncGamers Member

I'm working in the R&D to develop new composite materials for airplanes. And I see much valuable work hours ago to waste to "PR" where they could be much better used to create good improvements. It's just sickening, and the only thing those managers do is annoy employees.

Quote Originally Posted by pulli View Post
    I'm working in the R&D to develop new composite materials for airplanes. And I see much valuable work hours ago to waste to "PR" where they could be much better used to create good improvements. It's just sickening, and the only thing those managers do is annoy employees.
    Check out the description for Game Director position in Diablo 3. http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...tml?id=130000Y

Out of seven responsibilities four are related to Project Management. It's not "just PR stuff". The fact that Jay had the responsibility of designing the Monk while showing up for interviews in Korea proves that two very different skills were overlapping on Game Director position.

IncGamers Member

You suggested splitting that apart.. THAT was what I commented on..

But really, why do they have to give interviews? And why is that necessary as a "skill"? THat's complete bull**** to waste time on that, if someone wishes to give interviews he should do that in his spare time.

IncGamers Member

I'm definitely with splitting it into 2 jobs. I don't understand how "game director" translates to PR unless we're talking having the director give a presentation of a game movie at Blizzcon. But appearances in Korea or any other place for any reason just sounds laughable. Game director should be at the studio at all times directing game development...