Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: Jay Wilson has left the Diablo III project

I have a feeling Jay will work on the Blizzard Dota, because of his success with Warhammer, not Titan. He did not prove himself professionally with Diablo 3 inside Blizzard and I assume they are logical enough to not attribute the million sales to his game directing skills. His image as director is tainted and Blizzard would not make the mistake of putting his name in this new franchise. Titan is A Titan. I imagine the initial investment on Titan has been waaaay bigger than any other IP, even vanilla WoW. They wouldn't risk such a large project become as monumental failure.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Jay Wilson? Well yeah, one of the game creators, whatever *shrugs*.

Wjhat's worse is the constant bashing and mobbing on him. It shows how many infantile people there are and what a weird priority a few things have in their lives. It's disturbing and almost embarrassing. Their behaviour is too far below my personal standards to participate in, I even decided (or was asked) to stop mocking about it. He participated in making a game, a couple of people didn't like the way it was and that's it. Some people are so absorbed with the issue that I ask myself if they can be taken serious in any manner.

Thread can be closed IMO.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fmulder View Post
    Poor Jay Wilson. I wish him well.

No matter what you think of the game Jay did not deserve all the hate and abuse that were directed at him.

Gimmie a break. He got a huge pay check for D3. He should be happy,

If he wanted praise he would have gave us a REAL diablo game or atleast attempt to fix this broken game.

I mean 7 years...And this game is still not finished let ready alone to be released. Yet, Jay Wilson releases it.

O well, no where to go but up now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by raveharu View Post
    Jay made a great game, it's the players who are demanding and want the game catered for themselves, in a way that made D3 is now today.

D3 is leaps and bounds better than D2, and will continue to live on the legacy that have made the Diablo franchise successful.

Compared to the trash that is TL2, kudos to Jay for his effort in creating what is currently my most addictive game.
    Sure. "By leaps and bounds" D3 is superior to D2 only in the number of pixels on screen. Everything else is trash in comparison. From story, through itemization, to social features, it's a lame cash grab for the facebook generation of mindless, button-mashing zombies.

Open beta of PoE starts on 23th of January 2013. Finally a CORRECT D2 sequel for me. I will NEVER buy D3. Well... maybe in 10 years, from a bargain bin, with all xpacs for 10 bucks, to have a few laughs.
    Last edited by Quingu; 18-01-2013 at 14:01.

IncGamers Member

If Jay's job was to create a game that wouldnt drain too many players from WoW it certainly worked, he is a great designer in that sense.

But it was a bad year for blizzard's reputation. With SC2 losing a lot ground to the MOBA titles, the Panda Expansion receiving a lukewarm reception and Diablo 3 being the huge disaster it was, blizzard might not be bad at all when it comes to money but the future will tell how people will react to last year blizzard misfires.

D3 sales were great! (and JW cant be credited for it) But it only helped to spread the word of mouth of how bad the game was, and blizzard received a huge ammount of hate from everyone as Diablo is one of the most iconic franchises in gamming. Plus D3's sales income can be done with some months of WoW subs. Player retention and the idea of the RMAH working was the big deal about D3 and its certainly not doing well.

D3's mistakes are all too glaring for anyone designing a game with replayability in mind, its too obvious, I would take my tinfoil hat and say that the D3 fiasco was planned so that people wouldnt run away from WoW, but I guess blizzard didnt measure how people were still passionate about the Diablo franchise, the hate that they generated was probably bigger than they expected, I really have never seen a bigger backlash against a game ever. And people still dared to use the "vocal minority" term, seriously, this is the biggest reputation tainter that a game company has ever dared to release into the wild, D3 being horrible is a given on the internet, even on fansites we count the supporters of the game and i guess here we would barely reach a double digit number, the comments on other gamming sites about Jay leaving D3 were just what I expected, hate and overall disgust with the game, thats the majority there, not our little fansite bubble.

I dont know if those sales are worth the damage that D3 has done to blizzard's legacy, and legacy is the reason why people love blizzard, that old, distant past of SC1, Diablo 1 and 2 and Warcraft, and they are ruining it left and right, they are arrogant to consider themselves invincible but I dont think the future is bright after all this. At least CoD is doing great, its Blizzard's side that is falling apart.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kiroptus View Post
    but I guess blizzard didnt measure how people were still passionate about the Diablo franchise, the hate that they generated was probably bigger than they expected, I really have never seen a bigger backlash against a game ever. And people still dared to use the "vocal minority" term, seriously, this is the biggest reputation tainter that a game company has ever dared to release into the wild, D3 being horrible is a given on the internet, even on fansites we count the supporters of the game and i guess here we would barely reach a double digit number, the comments on other gamming sites about Jay leaving D3 were just what I expected, hate and overall disgust with the game, thats the majority there, not our little fansite bubble.
    The backlash over the Mass Effect 3 ending (not even the game, just the ending!) was considerably bigger than the backlash over D3, and happened at around the same time.

Which I guess goes to show you how backlash against anything in gaming is pretty much devoid of perspective, but that's a little beside the point...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan E View Post
    The backlash over the Mass Effect 3 ending (not even the game, just the ending!) was considerably bigger than the backlash over D3, and happened at around the same time.

Which I guess goes to show you how backlash against anything in gaming is pretty much devoid of perspective, but that's a little beside the point...
    Well, for ME3 the entire game is an ending/wrap up of the first two games. It was basically the last 2 mins that sucked. But they did release a huge update for the ending and they did a good job with it. It was good enough to at least appease the majority of disgruntled fans.

D3, my god D3 has been a pain since release. I mean if the only thing wrong with D3 was the last 2 mins it would have been a different story.

BattleTag Ignatius-1870

Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    Jay Wilson? Well yeah, one of the game creators, whatever *shrugs*.

Wjhat's worse is the constant bashing and mobbing on him. It shows how many infantile people there are and what a weird priority a few things have in their lives. It's disturbing and almost embarrassing. Their behaviour is too far below my personal standards to participate in, I even decided (or was asked) to stop mocking about it. He participated in making a game, a couple of people didn't like the way it was and that's it. Some people are so absorbed with the issue that I ask myself if they can be taken serious in any manner.

Thread can be closed IMO.
    No! You don't understand! Diablo 3 and Jay Wilson RUINED MY LIFE!!!

Great post btw.

Banned

I don't hate Jay. It's just... he should design pencils or Hidden Object games, or something. He was not the right man for this job. I wouldn't hire him for mopping floors in my office, if I had a game studio.

In interviews he spoke about "perfect execution" instead of "innovations". Well, D3 is very original and "innovative", with its MMO itemization in an ARPG and those weird "skill runes". He did exactly the OPPOSITE of what Mike wanted him to do. Instead of playing it safe and making D2.5 HD, we got this original and "innovative" crap with a lot needless changes to the franchise and the genre.

IncGamers Member

Yea, he obviously had NO clue how to make a diablo game or even a generic hack and slash