Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BattleTag SiegeValgore-1984

Re: Jay Wilson has left the Diablo III project

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan E View Post
    This now makes Jon Schafer and Jay Wilson -- two guys that got fired for creating a sequel that was greeted with very harsh criticisms at first, and relatively close to one another, timing-wise.
    Jay Wilson did not get fired. He stepped down from Diablo 3 to work on some of their other titles. He is still the Director of Diablo 3 until they find someone to replace him. He is still helping out the D3 Team where ever they may need it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kiroptus View Post
    I dont know if the game is salvagable at this point... I am very pessimist about it. Because as pulli stated the biggest problem is the itemzation, thats the most important part of the game, it should have been something that was done right at day one, but with it being so boring and unappealing doesnt help it at all.

Also the game has been poisoned by Real-money items, blizzard cant mess too much with the itemzation because of that, no patch so far dared to do anything other than buffing legendaries because that was just appalling on how horrible the legendaries were. But the overall feel of mainstat and boring affixes are here to stay, there is no magic patch for that. If they wanted to go crazy and add some new affixes and crazy new effects on more legendaries, they could, if there wasnt a RMAH in-place.

Well. There is one thing they can do.

Just revamp the whole skill system/stat system and item affix's in the all NEWWWW ladder!!!. Wipe everything clean. Simple as that.

Give this game a true enema... If people wanna cry about spending to much time/money on the old version they have an easy option.

Group that teeeeny weeeny section of sad souls into 1 server. Call it the "Legacy" server.

Aye... Sounds good to me.

Poor Jay Wilson. I wish him well.

No matter what you think of the game Jay did not deserve all the hate and abuse that were directed at him.

IncGamers Member

While his departure may have no effect on the game's development internally, an new project lead may give Blizzard a once-in-a-lifetime PR opportunity to come clean about their intentions with the RMAH and how the entire game, itemization especially, is balanced around it.

Whether or not that actually worked for Blizz is another story, but the intention was there, and as it was never stated and always downplayed, it is a great source of frustration for fans. While itemization discussions about stats, drop-rates, balance and effects are interesting, they would be much more to-the-point if Blizzard would say "Everything about itemization is the way it is to make the RMAH work." At least the cards would be on the table.

So now that Jay is gone and there is a perceived changing-of-the-guard at D3, they have an opportunity to come out and say exactly that. And then they can address it, either by changing itemization or by changing the RMAH or both or whatever, but folks, that is the issue, nothing else.

IncGamers Member

Also I dont think he deserves too much credit, D3's sucess came from a mix of the legacy of the franchise with the incredible hype that the marketing team made with all the blizzcon events and class announcements. His job as a designer was to have player retention and ensure that the game was addicting enough so that the RMAH can return good profits to blizzard but since I am not seeing blizzard boasting any RMAH numbers I have to assume its not doing that well and so far the trending for player numbers seem to just point to a very steep decline of the players online, so no, I dont think he is a golden boy at blizzard and they are not stupid to assign D3's 10 million sales to Jay Wilson's design choices, again, D2's legendary name and the D3's marketing team deserve that honor, they knew Diablo 3 was a title that was going to sell millions in weeks no matter what, everyone knew about that.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Excadrix-2446

I m guessing we all here have killed him in game ,right? :P the thing with Jay is that he is succesful.. Everyone are complaining but everyone bought the game... Ppl who are quiting are not ppl who will use RMAH or spent more money so they don't care... now they advertise Starcraft and give priority there... if you think that 1.07 is anything special it is just another trick to keep us occupied... And im asking you all here.. when D4 will come are you gonna buy it?

Jay made a great game, it's the players who are demanding and want the game catered for themselves, in a way that made D3 is now today.

D3 is leaps and bounds better than D2, and will continue to live on the legacy that have made the Diablo franchise successful.

Compared to the trash that is TL2, kudos to Jay for his effort in creating what is currently my most addictive game.

IncGamers Member

Fanboyism strikes again.

BattleTag nurman-2854

I get the feeling that this thread will just dissolve into a complaint thread, in a day or two.

IncGamers Member

this is terrible news. jay is irreplaceable. he has that rare combination of unbridled arrogance, a thin–skinned ego and the hubris to back it up. he was responsible for one third of the lulz for this game. who else can put up those numbers (okay, maybe bashiok, but he's gone too)? wyatt?! you kidding me? the man isn't fit to be jay's water boy.
    Spoiler

R.I.P jay. i hope you bring the same hilarity to titan as you did to D3. i'll bump your album any time.