Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Jay Wilson has left the Diablo III project

Perhaps this means a whole new direction for the expansion pack?

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/com...-from-diablo-3

IncGamers Member

Re: Jay Wilson has left the Diablo III project

doubt it since the expansion is already in the making.

IncGamers Member

Woha, that's big news and it doesn't make me happy. Far from, it's NEVER good to change developer like this. Usually a lot of knowledge is lost in the change.

Might explain why the monk update that was promised with changes to passive skills etc hasn't come, as Jay was responsible for that class.

Edit: Quote from a reply on Wilsons byebye-letter "Brace yourselves, the Barb nerfs are coming......."
    [COLOR=#a99877]It surely made me laugh :P
    [/COLOR]

IncGamers Member

He made his money, nothing left for him to do now except move on and ruin another game.

Now I fell a little bit better after wasting my money on Diablo 3.

They havn't even decided who will be game director after he has left???
    Sounds like like the big fire squad at Blizz is involved.

I do NOT think we will see him at any high position inside Blizz's A-titles. Too many mistakes.

bypassing of the word filter deleted
    Last edited by Noodle; 17-01-2013 at 21:05.

IncGamers Member

Could be both good and bad really.

Knowlegde is certainly lost which is bad. It might be an indication that Diablo 3 is of less interest to Blizzard - if we assume they are actually happy with Wilson and want to move him to something new instead of a "finished" game.

On the other hand, there are so many things that indicate (in my opinion which is based on absolutely nothing, yada yada) that the management of Diablo 3 wasnt very well handled. Not because of how the game turned out at all - I'm convinced bad games can have great management, and while difficult the other way around is possible as well - but more because of all the "flip flopping" and overall erratic behavior in the development, and to some degree also problems of handling the fan base.

A leader seriously have to be able to point out a vision and make everyone move toward that vision - it doesn't matter if its even his personal vision, it isn't necessarily the leaders job to create the vision.
    Instead it felt like Diablo 3 was governed by "Vision of the month" and endless second-guessing, maybe/maybe not influenced by the angry fan base - which would be angry no matter what Blizzard did, so fans should really have very little influence.

BattleTag nurman-2854

He was a good dev. People might not agree with me, but he really has never been involved in a bad game.

Ah well. Best of luck for him. I wonder if he will be moving back towards working on SC2 and its expansions or maybe on Titan?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadoutMapes View Post

Knowlegde is certainly lost which is bad. It might be an indication that Diablo 3 is of less interest to Blizzard - if we assume they are actually happy with Wilson and want to move him to something new instead of a "finished" game.

On the other hand, there are so many things that indicate (in my opinion which is based on absolutely nothing, yada yada) that the management of Diablo 3 wasnt very well handled. Not because of how the game turned out at all - I'm convinced bad games can have great management, and while difficult the other way around is possible as well - but more because of all the "flip flopping" and overall erratic behavior in the development, and to some degree also problems of handling the fan base.
    Diablo IS the "#3 game" for Blizz regardless.

Also, dunno about how you can "handle" the Diablo-fanbase anyways. We're talking about one of the most erratic fanbases in gaming, possibly just behind the Street Fighter fans.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by nurman View Post
    Also, dunno about how you can "handle" the Diablo-fanbase anyways. We're talking about one of the most erratic fanbases in gaming, possibly just behind the Street Fighter fans.
    Yeah. Which is why Jays idea of "be as open and receptive as possible" might not be the best idea. D3s development might really have been too open, the game been announced too early (making it harder to keep standing up to the tide of relentless fans).

I don't know how to handle the Diablo fanbase, but at arms length (or ten) might be a good start

Quote Originally Posted by ShadoutMapes View Post

A leader seriously have to be able to point out a vision and make everyone move toward that vision - it doesn't matter if its even his personal vision, it isn't necessarily the leaders job to create the vision.
    Instead it felt like Diablo 3 was governed by "Vision of the month" and endless second-guessing, maybe/maybe not influenced by the angry fan base - which would be angry no matter what Blizzard did, so fans should really have very little influence.
    Oh, you're right 100%. It's the poor managment of the project that is partially to blame why D3 is what it is. The other part is the fact that right from the it's beginning D3 was supposed to be monetized and appealing to MMO crowd, even when the project was still handled by Blizzard North.

The fact that J.W. is leaving D3 won't affect the game at all - they won't suddenly scratch all the stupid design decisions under the new managment just because Jay left the ship, 'cause he was not the person who decided in what direction D3 was heading, he just oversaw this direction. The new game director will do exactly the same so I wouldn't expect any groundbreaking changes to the D3 design - if you like, you will still like it, if you hate it they won't do anything to change your mind. And in the meantime Mr.Wilson will destroy some other Blizz title, probably that new MMO - project Titan.