Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Spots

Re: Hot Spots

Hi!
    Here are some builds that are proven to work very well for HC, using some of the skills that are considered to be the best. You can check out the skills and see how you like them.

You do not need stats anywhere near what I have to make these work, and I would say that Barb + WD are the most popular builds for new players. Monk is good as well but requires some better gear. All these classes have great survivor/panic skills to avoid death or be resurrected.

Wizard and DH are too fragile unless you have awesome gear, one nasty elite pack + one mistake from you and you are dead. (Vortex, Frozen, Arcane et c). I have played both as lvl 60's and found out this the hard way, haha!

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/M.../hero/14119963

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/M...9/hero/5595047

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/M...9/hero/5593559

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/M.../hero/14246434

To make an ok char by using the AH is really cheap by now. For 1 million you can get a Barb or WD capable of soloing Inferno Act1-3 on Mp0. Act4 is tougher if you ask me, but I guess you have already found that out.

And I hope you have turned on elective mode, so you can choose and rearrange your skills as you wish?

IncGamers Member

My WD just finished A1NM (L39, 10,818 life, 885 dam). She seems to be the best character for me so far. The summons are enough to keep her from getting swamped, and her attacks seem pretty powerful, for now. I also have my Wiz at the end of A4N (L32, 5,434 life, 628 dam), almost to the Diablo fight. Just trying to redo the gear before that fight. I have also been playing my Barb, he is in A3N (L29, 5382 life, 510 dam), quite durable, and very macho as he blasts through things and leaves debris spinning in his wake. The Monk (L21) and DH (L20) are basically parked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mn_Swe2 View Post
    Hi!
    Here are some builds that are proven to work very well for HC, using some of the skills that are considered to be the best. You can check out the skills and see how you like them.
    My WD is very similar. I have been using the flaming bats insted of the zombie charger because it seems to have a longer range than the firebombs. And I just started playing with wall of zombies. Is Spirit Walk a sort of teleport, does it basically let you walk where ever you want? And is Spirit Vessel sort of a heal on death sort of thing? A second chance if you will?

My Barb uses Cleave most of the time, I like the way it attacks a whole group of enemies. Rend seems a waste to me since most monsters die in 2-3 swings, nothing lasts the 5 seconds that bleed length lasts. Is Revenge sort of a passive type thing? I have been using it, and if I try to trigger it nothing seems to happen. Are you using Leap and Whirl as sort of 'escape' skills?

Interesting character utility there. I am amazed that Blizzard made such a neat little tool for us.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/B.../hero/30137188
    Those are my toons, I welcome all comments, criticism and advise.

Now a few questions:

Do we ever get more than 3 pages in the stash? I'm a packrat and I'd love more. My 5 other characters are all basically mules at this point.

Is armor a critical stat? Should I be concerned with it? In D2 it was basically something I ignored.

When items say 'hit adds x life' or 'chance to freeze on hit, what exactly is a 'hit'? Is it only a melee strike? Or do arrows 'hit'? What about spell effects, do they 'hit'? What about the WDs minions, do they 'hit'? Followers?

My account name is BongoFury, and I have used that name for characters all through the previous versions of the game, but now it is not allowed. WTF, doesn't Blizzard like Frank Zappa? If they want me to name my toon Justin Bieber, they can go F themselves.

Regards-
    Mark
    BongoFury#1415

BattleTag Hippotion-2165

My Barb uses Cleave most of the time, I like the way it attacks a whole group of enemies. Rend seems a waste to me since most monsters die in 2-3 swings, nothing lasts the 5 seconds that bleed length lasts. Is Revenge sort of a passive type thing? I have been using it, and if I try to trigger it nothing seems to happen. Are you using Leap and Whirl as sort of 'escape' skills?

--> Revenge is triggered sometimes when you get hit. You'll see the icon light up and then you can use it. Pretty good skill for the barb in my opinion!

Do we ever get more than 3 pages in the stash? I'm a packrat and I'd love more. My 5 other characters are all basically mules at this point.

--> No :-(

Is armor a critical stat? Should I be concerned with it? In D2 it was basically something I ignored.

--> Yes! Armor and resistance are equal in that they reduce ALL incoming damage. Try to stack both as high as possible to have the highest damage mitigation.

When items say 'hit adds x life' or 'chance to freeze on hit, what exactly is a 'hit'? Is it only a melee strike? Or do arrows 'hit'? What about spell effects, do they 'hit'? What about the WDs minions, do they 'hit'? Followers?

-> Hmm good question, i think they are all 'hits' except for followers, but maybe somebody can answers this with more certainty

D3 Trade Moderator
    America, USEast (D2)
    Newcomer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BongoFury View Post

Interesting character utility there. I am amazed that Blizzard made such a neat little tool for us.
    Those are my toons, I welcome all comments, criticism and advise.

Now a few questions:

My account name is BongoFury, and I have used that name for characters all through the previous versions of the game, but now it is not allowed. WTF, doesn't Blizzard like Frank Zappa? If they want me to name my toon Justin Bieber, they can go F themselves.

Regards-
    Mark
    BongoFury#1415
    Rend works very well as difficulty ramps up and monsters have more life. It also work great for mobs. as you get higher level, different runes will help you but I like the healing rune in it.

Early on I liked bash for the stunning aspect. then I switched to frenzy for the speed. I have dabled with cleave but it did not stick for me.

Revenge I don't use at all during the walks from normal to late hell. Then I use it when things get tough. It is a skill that activates when you get hit. Then you use it to kill and heal damage.

I suspect we will see more tabs in the stash in the expansion pack.

Also I might recommend getting one character thru to 60 and use that character to help the others for getting gear. Might help you out.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grishok View Post

-> Hmm good question, i think they are all 'hits' except for followers, but maybe somebody can answers this with more certainty
    Yeah, pretty much.

The thing to keep in mind with things like "Life on Hit" or "x% to Freeze on Hit", commonly called procs, is that those proc chances / values are modified by the proc coefficient of the skill you are using.
    Generally speaking, slow attacks which can't hit multiple targets (and as such have a low potential number of hits/second) will have a high proc coefficient, like 0.5, while fast / ae attacks (with potentially a very high number of hits/second) might have a very low proc coefficient, like 0.01, to avoid the proc effects becoming opverpowered.
    For example: your barb has "5% chance to fear on hit" combined an all your gear.
    Skill A, single target, PC 0.5: you will have an actual chance to fear on each hit of 2.5%
    Skill B, AE, PC 0.01: your chance to fear on hit will actually be 0.05% (but you might get in tons of hits per second using this skill)

If you wanna look up details, just search the web for d3 proc coefficients, there are numerous sites and spreadsheets out there.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by spiffymcbang View Post
    Revenge I don't use at all during the walks from normal to late hell. Then I use it when things get tough. It is a skill that activates when you get hit. Then you use it to kill and heal damage.
    So a hit makes it available, and then I have to activate it? A hit cocks the gun and then I have to pull the trigger if you will?

Quote Originally Posted by spiffymcbang View Post
    Also I might recommend getting one character thru to 60 and use that character to help the others for getting gear. Might help you out.
    I was playing all 5 at the very start, to try them all out and see what I liked. Then I realized that to earn wealth the fastest, I needed to push one toon as deep into the game as possible. But when I lost my frontrunner (when I list it, not if I lost it), I didn't want to have to go way back. So I decided to push two characters, alternating playing them. But when my Wiz made it to Diablo I felt she was too weak for the job, so I decided to push the Barb instead. He just killed Diablo and the NM Skeleton King today, so he's catching up to the WD.

Some new questions:
    Is there a way to shut the followers the hell up? They were cute for a while, but now they are REALLY annoying. I absolutely can't tolerate the Templar, and the Scoundrel is an asshat (Just what exactly IS it that they do in Kingsport, stand around and watch while someone else does the *** kicking?). So I have been reduced to using the Enchantress, but even her bimboisms are starting to get to me.

Has Blizzard STILL been unable to stop duping? I see many instances of the exact same item in the auction house. Only blues, but they have the exact same random stats over 2-3 variable afixes. And I am far too cynical to believe that this is just coincidence.

IncGamers Member

Is there a way to shut the followers the hell up?
    Nope.
    Has Blizzard STILL been unable to stop duping? I see many instances of the exact same item in the auction house. Only blues, but they have the exact same random stats over 2-3 variable afixes. And I am far too cynical to believe that this is just coincidence.
    Those are vendor-bought. People do vendor-shopping and sell the good ones (you're not limited to one item if you buy from the vendor).

Clan Officer - US East Hardcore
    BattleTag solwolf-1550

My WD is very similar. I have been using the flaming bats insted of the zombie charger because it seems to have a longer range than the firebombs. And I just started playing with wall of zombies. Is Spirit Walk a sort of teleport, does it basically let you walk where ever you want? And is Spirit Vessel sort of a heal on death sort of thing? A second chance if you will?

Hey there Bongo. As Zappa said earlier, virtually no one from the old GAT crew is playing d3; really didn't see all that many when the game was released, and even fewer within a month or two. d3 was a massive disappointment for me, and I know I'm not alone in that feeling.

To answer your WD questions (WD is/was my primary char):

1) Bats v Bears: Bats have a longer range, Bears are almost melee but do substantially more damage to a group of mobs.

2) Wall of Zombies is great to break up groups of elites, but with the relatively low (compared to release d3) damage monsters do, I don't think it's used all that often anymore - especially now that WD pets are so tanky.

3) Spirit Walk is a must-have spell for HC WDs for a couple reasons - first, it's a CC breaker. If you're frozen or rooted, you can hit Spirit Walk to break the CC and make your escape. second, it's a near invulnerability - while you can be broken out of it theoretically, it never happened to me. Spirit Walk is great for getting the hell out of a bad situation (and regenning life if you take that rune) since you can run through mobs and take no damage.

4) Spirit Vessel is also a must-have for HC, IMO. It's a get-out-of-death-free card. When you take lethal damage (i.e., you would have otherwise seen Deeds) Spirit Vessel procs and auto-casts Spirit Walk for you, without using Spirit Walk's cooldown. Vessel has a 90 second cooldown, and in addition to its literally life-saving primary benefit, also lowers the cooldown on Spirit Walk. The drawback for this talent is, if you play conservatively and never get close to a life threatening encounter, you're using 33% of your talents for just a cooldown reduction on a few Spirit spells. This talent has definitely saved my WD from Deeds more than once - but not really since Blizz nerfed the difficulty of the game a few months ago.

Hope you enjoy d3, and nice to see an old name reappear.

-Sol

Hardcore Moderator
    America Trade Moderator
    BattleTag ZappaFan-1229

So a hit makes it available, and then I have to activate it? A hit cocks the gun and then I have to pull the trigger if you will?

A hit has a chance to proc Revenge. If you use the Provocation rune it's a 35% chance to proc. Also, a Blocked hit is still a hit, whereas a Dodged hit is NOT a hit. So, if you really like Revenge, as I do, try to limit Dex in your build. High Block low Dex works great for Revenge. With Revenge you want to get hit, you just don't want to get hit too hard. So lots of trash monsters are always your friend. :-)
    Eschew obfuscation!