Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Re: OT: anyone interested in free personal training?

If you guys want to use 5/3/1, I would recommend actually buying the ebook. Periodization isn't something you "sorta" do. Besides, Jim Wendler is a good guy and it's only $20.

But really we can talk strategy all day. 90% of you will write invisible scripts and generate excuses why you can't do it. That's why we start with one singular goal: food log. If you can't do that, don't bother getting a gym membership. No offense but if it was that easy we'd all be ripped.

BattleTag beest-1991

to be more specific i aim to do this.
    http://spartanrace.com.au/

22nd june in brisbane to be precise. that is my goal.
    don't start work til late in the morning (sunday morning) so it'll be my weigh/measure day. so will get my measurements and kick off the food log. mmmmm food log.

IncGamers Member

Goober - I agree completely. This is going to be 85% diet for everyone here, including me. My advice just comes from losing 60 pounds over the last year, then gaining ~10 back from vacation, and losing it again to my now lowest weight of 199

Start with the diet, then figure out your fitness goals and work from there. You can't out exercise a crappy diet.

Code:
    Forum Name         Goal                             Start         End
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    GooberGrape        Visible Abs                      1/3/13     5/3/13
    FoE                No more water with leek/onion    1/3/13     1/4/13
    Daz                Visible Abs/Run 5 Miles          1/3/13     5/15/13
    Corax              Lose 10kg/general awesome        1/4/13     when i get there
    inter              Lose 3kg                         1/7/13     1/7/20
    Thy                Lose 2st (12st atm)toning        1/4/13     Goal accomplished
    colony             Reach 100kg                      1/5/13     1/1/14

I need to lose a lot of weight (currently 131kg at only 6'1, which is horrendous even with my build) so this could be very useful and came along at a decent time for me. I definitely need the motivation from other people, I'm fairly useless at motivating myself. I'll start my food diary today and see where I'm at next Saturday - I will keep track of what I eat and will post it here next weekend.

One question though: How do you deal with eating out? I travel a lot for work, sometimes for several weeks at a time, and therefore a lot of my meals are in restaurants and hotels, making it difficult to keep track of what I eat.

Quote Originally Posted by colony View Post
    One question though: How do you deal with eating out? I travel a lot for work, sometimes for several weeks at a time, and therefore a lot of my meals are in restaurants and hotels, making it difficult to keep track of what I eat.
    Just snap a cell phone photo of your food before you eat it. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by GooberGrape View Post
    I did have one "client" that injured her ankle really bad. We started her on goblet squats instead, and she ended up gaining better strength and conditioning with goblet squats than she did when running. By the time she recovered from the ankle injury, she could run five miles no problem, and before she would throw up after only one mile. There may be a similar exercise that works for you.
    If it starts raining a lot and that makes me run less, then maybe I'll need some complementary exercise.

I have some questions. How long before and after running should I eat something? And what should I eat?

Quote Originally Posted by FredOfErik View Post
    I had this little metal thingy on my nail (brace maybe? not sure of the english word). Sure it took a long time (can't recall how long, but 1 year+) but it really wasn't a pain in the ***. I had to get it corrected every second month or something and that was sorta uncomfortable, but between that I had no pain or problems whatsoever. Can strongly recommend it.

Edit: picture of nail thingy on a nail
    I'll consider it if the nail starts misbehaving again. Thanks for the intel!

Quote Originally Posted by Dazliare View Post
    Nulio, I'll run tomorrow if you do And dude, ingrown toenails SUCK. Other people tell me it's nothing to think about, but they obviously haven't had one.
    I ran today

Quote Originally Posted by GooberGrape View Post
    Just snap a cell phone photo of your food before you eat it. Easy.
    Good idea, hadn't considered that. I also have a feeling that long work trips will be the hardest part of keeping my diet under control, I find it very easy to eat far too much when I'm eating in restaurants for days on end.

I can recommend dabbing something like acetone (or similiar high alcohol concentration liquids) on problem area of ingrown toenails. Somehow fixed my (perhaps lesser) problem.

IncGamers Member

Colony - You're about 7kgs higher than where I started, but you can do it! Don't try to do everything all at once, or you'll likely burn out. Take it slow, and just start with one or two things. For me, I started with cutting out soda, and didn't change anything else. Then I started lifting, etc.

As far as going out to eat, there's a few things you can do. Most restaurants have calorie information posted these days. You could also try what I do, although it will take some getting used to. Basically I just eat one meal per day, because my cravings get really bad when I'm always around food. I just drink a bunch of coffee all day, and count calories from the cream and sugar. So by the time I eat dinner I still have 1800 calories I can eat, which opens up just about any option if someone offers to take me out hahah.

Everyone's metabolism is different. Some only eat once a day, others need to eat six times a day.

One of my friends had diagnosed medical hypoglycemia. She even got her gall bladder removed which of course didn't treat it. I began coaching her to eat three meals a day consistently. Within 16 days she was subclinical and was considered medically "cured" of her hypoglycemia. Coincidentally, she is now going to school to be a doctor.