Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye to 2012

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

Re: Bye to 2012

*Sneaks in to the hug between Merv and Vivi*

I blame the Xmas lights, trees, and the "coldness" (Texas hardly gets cold). Makes me happy and brings out my festive side more.

Speaking of, and this may sound like a REALLY airheaded question, but it's not. People who live in the southern hemisphere (Australia, NZ, etc.) what do y'all's Xmas decorations look like? I know, it sounds really silly, but y'all are in the middle of summer. I wouldn't think Santa and his reindeer are seen on snow-topped rooftops or standing next to snowmen in front yards because of that. He'd be sunbathing on the beach or something, lol! Well, maybe not, but... do you kinda see where I'm going with this?

Tah Merv.
    I guess when I wrote that I meant the sort of "heartwarming" stuff you see on tv - over the top longlost family meetups, children suddenly not being spoiled brats wanting presents but being told that since on tv do something cute, bleh.
    I did not mean to say that it doesn't happen with real people, but see how it could come across as such.

Bob, that's sweet! *hugs*

I never got the "good all year" thing. There were some awful things I did as a kid and still got presents. I guess it only matters the last three months of the year, lol. Or as long as you don't kill a dog or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Tah Merv.
    De nada. Not enough of it in the world, more's the pity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    I did not mean to say that it doesn't happen with real people, but see how it could come across as such.
    We're different views on the same issue. There's a great J00ish word, "schmaltz", that refers to the cloying, falsely sweet pseudo-nostalgia I believe you're talking about. It does nothing for me either. I once felt far more "Christmassy" reading a Robert Frost poem to my bored child in a National Park than I normally do watching some of that garbage.

Interestingly, I always felt that one of the shows most derided and sneered at for that same schmaltz and "formula drama", "Touched by an Angel", actually had a far lighter, benevolent touch than what is regularly churned out vis-a-vis "Christmas Specials". This despite incessant criticism for being essentially a repetitive, hourglass-timed, Deux ex machina drumbeat set to film. So I'd venture to say that perhaps some of the irritation I feel is resentment at cynical attempts to manipulate my emotions for commercial reasons, versus sincere happiness and joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
    *Sneaks in to the hug between Merv and Vivi*

Take your hand off there, Leo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
    Well, maybe not, but... do you kinda see where I'm going with this?
    Not exactly; that sounds like one of the ultra-schmaltzy things that I find really irritating. Santa in biker gear, with a babe on his arm, chugging beer, skiing with whatever product under his arm... I'm not one to pound on the Christian correlation with St. Nicholas since the history is so misrepresented, but I don't see that much different from showing the Pope or baby Jesus doing the same.

Not blasphemy, just stupidity and poor taste.

My hand is so not where you think it is, Mervy.

I figured that because it's summer there that they would not have Santa in a snowy background is all and it might differ from us because we are in winter here. That's where I was going with that. Maybe it was more stupid than I thought. >.O

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    Also, maybe this helps:

That dog has tremendous character. The other clips are hilarious, too.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Cheer Up

BattleTag Zokar -1451

Oh man, that cracks me up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    Cheer Up

Ya know, if the world ends and we all die, I'm really okay with it. First of all, nothing I can do about it. I look at it this way: I may have not done everything I have wanted to do (most of all the desires, becoming published). BUUUUUUT I look back and I'm satisfied with my life and have accomplished some goals in my young life. I also look at it this way: I can be more of a negative whiny ***** if I wanted to and cry how many hours I wasted on here and not pursued what should've been done or what I wanted to do OR I can look at it positively and think, "Ya know, for being how old I am and the few things I HAVE done are better than not achieving it at all. Besides, I'm still young! Still trying to get my life together. Unless I was super rich (and I am SO not), there's no way I could've done everything!" I choose to look at it positively. :grin: (Gawd, I miss that smiley so much!)

I also give this speech because I went dancing last Saturday night and did that silly dance. As well as made my date do it with me. I've been wanting to go dancing for quite a while and do that dance so I'm happy. ^_^ The world can end! Carry on!