Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Bow Amazons options

Tx, I will try magic arrows.
    What does the 'adds 30 damage' on MA mean?

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodbrx View Post
    Pickup a witch-wood string and see what MA can do

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodbrx View Post
    What does the 'adds 30 damage' on MA mean?
    30 is added to your minimum and maximum weapon damage. However, while the character screen simply adds 30, it is actually added before +% Damage and Critical Strike or Deadly Strike are applied: +400% Damage would result in 150 average damage being added, not 30, before CS or DS.

IncGamers Site Pal crawlingdeadman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whitering View Post
    FA is useless unless you actually build an FA Zon, in which case, you will not be quite as powerful in the physical dept as a physical zon with Magic Arrow.
    Patently untrue. It takes exactly one more point to max FA over MA and that doesnt reduce your physical damage in the slightest. You also seem to have missed dacar explaining about splash damage. Finally, FA freezes monsters. I could care less if FA did 3 damage as long as it freezes monsters. FA remains a one point or twenty point wonder (builder's choice) and bowazons have plenty of skills to throw around since none of the physical skills have synergies. So really, why not max it?

IncGamers Member

I just respec'ed to maxed MA and I must say it's excellent. It doesn't require any mana ( or arrows even ) and in this respect greatly wins out over FA which sucks up mana like crazy especially annoying vs PIs that can't be leeched. It also takes only 20 points compared to 40 for FA. I just did a p8 arcane sanctuary run and it performed very well. Though amp from strafe procs helped a lot too.

For some calculations. My MA damage lcs is about 3500 avg with 71% crit so add that and 25% magic damage conversion amounts to around 1500 magic dmg per arrow ( not taking into account the LCS fail with +dmg ). It takes a fair bit to get FA to 1500 damage and you'll probably have some sub optimal choices like fletcher's rather than sharp GCs, and there is the mana problem and more skillpoints needed. The freeze and splash doesn't amount to very much really, esp since stuff like wraiths and gloams can't be frozen anyway.

Finally for those saying windforce is good enough and you don't need faith, I suggest at least trying it. I'm not saying WF is bad in any way, but faith is a different kind of beast. Just try it. Or atleast WF+faith merc.

Banned

One more point about FA vs MA. For Strafe zons, you will be strafing 99% of the time. The only time you don't, is when something is PI/Stone Skin. With FA, you might encounter many CI monsters which will resist it. MA always works. Also, when you clear with strafe, everything will die fast, except PI monsters. This means that splash damage from FA is useless, since you will be chipping at that pesky PI monster which stands alone.

It freezes.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by crawlingdeadman View Post
    It freezes.
    Doesn't apply to cold immunes, zero chill effectiveness monsters ( gloams/frenzytaurs/wraiths/dolls/etc ), bosses, champions, act bosses, and is generally not useful against almost anything.

That's what strafe is for. I honestly dont know why we're going around and around. MA does jack all vs many of those you list too. A pack of the PI frenzytaurs aren't going to sit still for you to kill them all one by one with MA. It's not a one or the other type thing with me. Use them both! Or dont. Last I knew, Zaph, you hated bow characters anyway.

I'm going to have to say I'm on the Freezing arrow side of this debate. Maybe thats just me because of playing HC but the power of freezing arrow has always outweighed the benefits of a maxed magic arrow. I built a FA/Strafe zon, and since I don't have WF or Faith in SP I use a lysanders with WWS on switch. If it wasn't a pack of cold immunes I would usually fire off a couple FAs and then strafe until the freezing wore off. The freeze length is extended by any cold damage items (such as charms) so I would throw a few of those in the inventory to make it last a bit longer. MA is more of a one point wonder for me, the added damage and ar is minimal, your really only looking at the % conversion number. I will concede that there are not a lot of monsters with magic immunities so your damage won't be reduced as much, but its still a single target attack. FA will do splash damage and it will do splash damage each time it pierces, so while your doing magic damage to one, maybe two targets at a time. I'll be doing cold damage to groups of enemies at a time. If I do run into the physical/cold immune, yeah I'll use magic arrow, but it will be a one point wonder for me most likely. Will it take 3 times as long to kill that physical/cold immune as you? Yeah of course because my conversion % is lower, but I still benefit from the 0 mana cost with all the plus skills and be more powerful against monsters that are only physical immune.

As far as bow choices go, a WF with a Faith Merc is a great option. If you are going to be using a Pride/Might merc then windforce probably outweighs the Faith due to the higher base max damage of WF that is multiplied, but this of course doens't take into acount the IAS calcs, breakpoints, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.