Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member
    BattleTag fenrir-2588

Zero Dog Sacrifice Build. Should I switch over?

I'm paragon 60 and run either Zombie Bear or Acid Rain builds.

I know alot of WDs are running the Zero Dog build quite successfully and I was wondering if I should join them. Mainly, is it worth it? Sounds like a lot of fun having infinite explosions and health globes.

From some research it would cost about 80+mil to hit the 34s to hit the zero mark.

Re: Zero Dog Sacrifice Build. Should I switch over?

It isn't that much fun, because you just spam 2 skills all the time, you don't need to manage mana. In a way it is similar to cm wizard, except you have less things to do. Pretty boring build to play in the long run.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag fenrir-2588

Thanks for the insight. You saved me the urge to completely switch over by selling my current gear.

I do want to slowly gear up for it just to have it in my arsenal. If it wasn't so damn expensive though...

What are the pros and cons of the zero dog sacrifice build?

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag fenrir-2588

Pros:
    -Little/No mana management needed (Summon dogs: 45mana, Sacrifice: 0mana)
    -Good Damage: 275% AoE x 3 (or 4 with Zombie Handler) = 825% Damage (or 1100%)
    -Frees up the rest of your 4 slots for any skills you want
    -Sacrifice[For the Master]: Infinite Health Globes. Combined with Gruesome Feast gives almost constant +50% INT! (+damage,+res all)
    -Mobile
    -Good for Ubers

Cons:
    -Gear dependent (Homonculus, skull grasp, etc) to hit -34s
    -Expensive
    -one Dimensional (Summon, Sacrifice)
    -Lower DPS vs Zombie Bears
    -Low range (Dogs need to run to target)
    -Inefficient farming build
    Last edited by VagrantKing; 20-12-2012 at 13:36.

Thanks VagrantKing.

I don't really play WD, but I still feel like this whole thread is misleading, because it's not really a full build so much as a half-build. It demands to be hybridized with something else, and by that logic you can commit less to the zero-sacrifice part. Personally, I think getting it down to 8-9 seconds is plenty, you'll never have Gruesome Feast time out and that's a low enough cooldown to use it once on pretty much every elite pack you see; as part of a Grave Injusice build, you could probably get away with less cooldown reduction, perhaps even scrapping Homunculus for a Thing of the Deep. Something like Acid Rain, Jaunt, Stalker, Zombie Dogs, Sacrifice, some other skill; Gruesome Feast, Grave Injustice, Tribal Rites. Maybe even Circle of Life.

In a way it's like those barbs obsessed with getting Hammer of the Ancients down to zero cost, unless you're doing some advance PvP planning it makes no sense as you could just get it low enough for Into the Fray to handle all resource issues. Zero cooldown Sacrifice is probably overkill; low cooldown Sacrifice makes sense and maintains versatility.

I would list more cons.
    Your dps is significantly lower because of the offhand (<100 averafe damage) required for the build. For me for example it is -80k dps right off the bat when I switch from normal mojo.
    ANother thing is, you need 2 casts to deal damage, summon and sacrifice. So your dps is half of the dps a "normal" spell would do.
    It still does nice damage because of unlimited mana, perma gruesome feast charge and overall good base damage of sacrifice 4x275.
    Another pro is healing, via both sacrifice (25k per detonation), and globes. You can even get away without life steal on this build with certain items.

Imo biggest flaw of this is low range. It is pretty much only good vs ubers, making you immortal, + being huge boost to entire party.
    But vs normal elites, the fact you have such small range, and slow effective cast animation (your aps/2), makes it really annoying to attack ranged enemies with it. You can always summon dogs, let them approach targets and then detonate. Then ofc it is easy to hit, but dps is low because it takes so long between each sacrifice to occur (dogs need time to run). I find it several times slower vs elites/normal farming than a classic bear build.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag fenrir-2588

I bit the bullet and purchased Homunculus (17s), Visage (9s), Soj (3s), and a Maras (3s) before I ran out of money. So I have 2s left on my dog CD which isn't too bad.

My DPS did take a hit because I couldn't afford the high-end items. But I did well enough on a few mp7, mp8 uber runs. Pure DPS-wise, ZB will win any day. I miss my 20 pickup radius from my ToTD mojo because having 0 radius on globe pickup is annoying.

I do agree that the range of the dogs is the biggest limitation of this build's effectiveness so far.

I am currently experimenting with some synergies or skills to use while I wait for the dogs to run to enemies.

So this is the best build for uber runs?