Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10M builds

IncGamers Member

Re: 10M builds

Uh but what has that to do with BUILDS right NOW?

BattleTag Sass-1761

TLDR: Use SW cause it wrecks face.

If you want to 100% eschew...idk...Crippling Wave for the AoE. Or swap to MoC-Submission.

BattleTag kestegs-1550

Nothing really, this thread has been horribly derailed and I'd ask anyone who wants to discuss the PvP monk to start a new thread about it.

The fact still remains that there is virtually no reason to not use sweeping wind, as others have stated. It's probably even worse than not using a mantra.

The monk has a bit of a build variety problem though, so you are probably looking at either a thunderclap build or a Tempest rush build.

IncGamers Member

The fact still remains that there is virtually no reason to not use sweeping wind, as others have stated. It's probably even worse than not using a mantra.
    Well sweeping wind implies a certain playstyle: constantly hitting & slowly but steadily seeing the mobs fall around.. I wish to have something different for a change. I'm really looking to a build that can give my old necro feeling: seems like nothing happens for a long time but then suddenly when 1 corps shows up every mob drops around you at once. That kind of "explosion" I really loved, actually went out of my way to "create" the biggest "explosion" quite often: by running around acts standing in the middle with so many mobs around my my 28 summons could only just protect me.. And then waiting for that corpse to turn up after which it went like bam, bam bam, bam -everything's dead, even offscreen-.

Sweeping wind is simply the other end of the gameplay: you CONSTANTLY do the same amount of damage, and it is actually better to leave mobs alive so you can close the gab to the next group.

BattleTag kestegs-1550

well the only thing you will likely be able to create that kind of effect with is exploding palm. I know some people have put EP in their builds, but you still have to kill things, so it's probably still going to be based around a build like thunderclap/SW.

BattleTag Sass-1761

Quote Originally Posted by pulli View Post
    Well sweeping wind implies a certain playstyle: constantly hitting & slowly but steadily seeing the mobs fall around.. I wish to have something different for a change. I'm really looking to a build that can give my old necro feeling: seems like nothing happens for a long time but then suddenly when 1 corps shows up every mob drops around you at once. That kind of "explosion" I really loved, actually went out of my way to "create" the biggest "explosion" quite often: by running around acts standing in the middle with so many mobs around my my 28 summons could only just protect me.. And then waiting for that corpse to turn up after which it went like bam, bam bam, bam -everything's dead, even offscreen-.

Sweeping wind is simply the other end of the gameplay: you CONSTANTLY do the same amount of damage, and it is actually better to leave mobs alive so you can close the gab to the next group.
    Tried wave of light? You can have the small aoe, a blast radius, or a line if you'd like. The corpse explosion-esque explosion of EP isn't nearly the same as CE. You could build around Backlash and constantly explode as well...

Backlash sucks if you are not playing on sufficiently high mp. On low or no mp monsters never get a chance to hit you for that aoe before they are dead.

BattleTag Sass-1761

Sorry, that's backward. With low MP, the ~75% weapon damage kills anything that attacks you. Since it's easy to get 60% dodge while idle, it's almost always dealing that burst. You can get 75+ when stacking dodge skills.

At higher MP, the dodge is less effective, and damage mitigation helps more. The burst stops being the instakill anyway. Healing for res, or Conviction for damage/enemies deal less/loh will work better.

I've done tests since I wanted to find the sweet spot for mantras and what works the best for me. Backlash came out on top in MP0-2 (where I hit a wall in ability to kill quickly and be able to tank). If you can regularly 2-3 shot any trash mobs on MP3-5, them Back lash still works. VS anything you need time on (bosses especially), MoC or MoH is more effective, depending on if you need DPS or EHP.

I do think backlash is underrated. I used to shun SW-Cyclone due to the "chance" to deal such low damage. After trying, I have tons of tornadoes within 2 seconds. Similarly, people don't like the "chance" to do 35%, but that scales with IAS (the way submission does), and I'm always at 65 minimum. The "chance" may be based on primary proc, but FoT seems to burst like crazy where Deadly won't.