Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Mordath-2770

What's the priority?

So I'm thinking about what I should do to be efficient with my time it's strikes me there's several goals I should do.

1. Reach paragon lvl 100
    2. Reach 300% magic find and gold find.
    3. Get 24% movement speed.
    4. Upgrade my gems. (is this a good thing to do quickly or rather spend on gear)
    I think this is the top priority?

I'm not sure what I should do first though. I'm looking at my gear and what next should I do (have about 3million left). No idea what slots I should try to look for cheap upgrades if there are any left.
    So if I want to level fast I need to get hellfire ring, leoric signet, cain set? Maybe xephirian amulet and stone of jordan too?
    But in order to get hellfire ring I need at least a couple of million to start (so need to farm some gold) also is my gear good enough to try getting it? I haven't actually begun the process of getting the ring yet.

After that I'm thinking I should try to get 300mf/gf but not sure if I should try to reach both or just one of them. Also get crappy gf/mf gear or slowly get them with some dps stats (which seems pretty expensive and needs to replaced anyway after awhile).

Also I see there's a multishot guide which I've read quite a bit but I'm not sure if I should save up some gold and switch over to that first or try to reach one of my other goals..

Any tips would be highly appreciated whether it's in what build I should go for or what gear I should aim for or regarding on what I should try to do first. I haven't played a lot so I could use some help!

Oh here's my profile: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/M.../hero/11309544

IncGamers Member

Re: What's the priority?

When leveling characters I prioritize things like this:

1. Get to where you can at least farm mp0 A3 quickly (close to the max xp/hour your class/build can expect there). This includes having 24% movement speed.

2. Begin improving gearby adding things that making the rewards of running more efficient. This includes a Hellfire ring, a star or better gem in your helm, at least one item with pickup radius, and as much magic find as you can manage to get while not compromising run speed and other goals.

3. Reach paragon 100. Replace magic find gear with better (more dps, more ehp, etc) non-mf pieces as you begin to hit maximum magic find. Somewhere in here you might want to increase the MP level you run at.

I don't consider Leoric's Signet and even more so Cain's set to be necessary leveling items; the items they replace have a good chance of being more valuable to you than another 30% experience. I have really, really strong doubts in particular about Cain's set, as it requires replacing 3 items - that's potentially enough to have increased the Monster Power you run at.

Gold find is a nice stat, but in my d3 career I've picked up maybe 1/10 as much gold as I have obtained through trading, so unless you're making a dedicated gold find character, I see it as a nice bonus but not a necessity or anything to throw out other useful mods for.

1. 24% move speed. Do everything faster, regardless of what that thing is. Kind of like a "+mf/+gf/+xp" mod.
    2 (tie). 300% MF/GF. This is the primary utility of reaching Paragon 100 anyway. Every time I see 3% of each on a gear piece, I think of it as "this gear grants +1 paragon level."
    2 (tie). Upgrading/buying gems weapon. +10% crit damage for the cost of a gem upgrade is a justifiable expense.
    4. Paragon 100. A single paragon level compares to a non-weapon, non-helm gem upgrade favorably. Plus, as you gain these you get to release your MF/GF gear for better stuff.
    5. Upgrading/buying gems everywhere else. 2% extra xp earned, 1% extra life, or +4 base stat isn't really that amazing, considering the costs; although you obviously want to get there eventually, it's not high on your priorities at all.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Draba-2568

Quote Originally Posted by Dethklok View Post
    1. 24% move speed. Do everything faster, regardless of what that thing is. Kind of like a "+mf/+gf/+xp" mod.
    2 (tie). 300% MF/GF. This is the primary utility of reaching Paragon 100 anyway. Every time I see 3% of each on a gear piece, I think of it as "this gear grants +1 paragon level."
    2 (tie). Upgrading/buying gems — weapon. +10% crit damage for the cost of a gem upgrade is a justifiable expense.
    4. Paragon 100. A single paragon level compares to a non-weapon, non-helm gem upgrade favorably. Plus, as you gain these you get to release your MF/GF gear for better stuff.
    5. Upgrading/buying gems — everywhere else. 2% extra xp earned, 1% extra life, or +4 base stat isn't really that amazing, considering the costs; although you obviously want to get there eventually, it's not high on your priorities at all.
    24% MS is definitely number one, with maxed xp/mf being close behind. I feel gf is only useful to a point where your total gear is worth less than 10-20m. After that an additional 200-300k an hour won't make too much of a difference, you are better off prioritizing xp.

Quote Originally Posted by Draba View Post
    24% MS is definitely number one, with maxed xp/mf being close behind. I feel gf is only useful to a point where your total gear is worth less than 10-20m. After that an additional 200-300k an hour won't make too much of a difference, you are better off prioritizing xp.
    When your MF kicks in and you find a good item, what's the first thing you do? Convert it to gold.

I might have been wrong about putting GF in the same line as MF (MF is definitely more important), but GF is definitely more important than XP. Once you have 300/300, paragon levels are pretty similar to upgrading gems, only slightly more efficient; once you have 300/x MF/GF, the main thing paragon levels do is increase your goldfind, so might as well skip the middleman. High GF also adds stability to your runs, ensuring some significant (even if small) incremental gain per run; it's insurance against the RNG hating you.

A better list would have been:
    1. move speed
    2. magic find (moves up without GF weighing it down)
    3. weapon gem
    4. gold find (moves down slightly without MF lifting it up)
    5. paragon 100
    6. other gem upgrades

edit: getting +5 pickup radius (just one affix) is actually #2, everything else shifts down one. more pickup than that is a luxury unless you're using vengeance, which im not assuming here
    Last edited by Dethklok; 13-12-2012 at 17:21.

IncGamers Member

I'd say 24 movement speed and +pickup radius are top priorities because they speed up farming so much. Then, I'd say to improve your gear gradually by finding gold/items. In the process you'll gain your paragon levels and eventually your mf/gf. You can add gf and mf to your gear if you want too. Upgrading everything to radiant stars should be the last thing you work on- at 15+ M per gem, and with so little you get for it, it's probably more worth your while to buy better items to start off with.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Mordath-2770

I think I got the gist of what I should aim for first, thanks for the feedback everyone.
    Now I guess the best option for me to get 24% movement speed and pickup would be to get an Inna's Temperance with pickup radius or is there some other suggestion where I can get move movement speed or pickup.

I would be grateful if anyone could take a look at my gear and see if which slots I could add magic find. I'm a bit concerned that I lose too much dps/ehp by switching to worse gear with mf. Is that at all a concern?
    I could really appreciate any suggestions on what my next few upgrades should be from my current gear and whether or not I should go for the multishot build if it's a good budget/leveling build.

EDIT: added profile: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/M.../hero/11309544

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Draba-2568

Dethklok:
    Radius is true, 5 is just so damn important we skimmed over it as obvious. On the gf front I'm partial on the stat being close to useless. The point in paragon levels for me is not getting max gf in addition to my max mf from gear, it's the stats and being able to drop gear and still have max mf. My total farm gold figures are around 15:1 in favor of item drops. Of course this is shifting a bit to favor gf more, since everyone who could only farm gold so far can now get top items with the difficulty nerfs. Still wouldn't give even 1m gold more for gear that gives 50%gf with the same stats.

mordath:
    Radius and ms are your top 2 priorities, that's absolutely right. Your damage and tankiness is ok for mp0, just need utility to farm.
    - helm: rare helms are dirt cheap, if you get one with around 80 dex you can slap on 1-2 additional affixes and still be below 1m(or 3 for <5m). This would be the best slot for pickup and some extra cc imho.
    - left ring: you can get a better one below 100K, if you still lack some defense 2-300 armor is practically free on rings. Resists aren't that expensive, either. You'll only need 5+cc any 60-80 dex, maybe 1 extra damage stat if you get lucky.
    - pants: yours are great, inna would lose at least 2 good affixes.
    - bracers: this is the ms slot for you. The cheapest crit lacunis lose 200 armor, 8% life and 200 dex(ok, this one hurts) for 9%as and ms, costing <1m. A 4.5%/400+ armor one costs <3m, with some dex slapped on it's in the 10-20m range. Forget vit and all resist on them, they are too expensive right now.
    - cloaks: yours is good, but it's always good to check them out on the ah. Non-nat cloaks are ridiculously cheap for some reason, a 80+ dex/80+ vita/60+ allres/600+armor/8+disc/3 socket one is well below 10m. I could only sell my previous one with 90 dex 80 vita for 3.5m in 4 days. The problem with getting those lies more in finding one on the ah than being able to pay for it

MF: I wouldn't prioritize it if you are on a budget. Just deck out the templar( rare amu, 1 ring, shield, nagelring, sun keeper ) for additional 25-29 mf in your case. Maybe look for a 8+ cc/100+ dex/40+ amu if you can drop some hp. Paragon up while it's decently fast, when you get enough gold to max mf without hurting damage go for it.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Mordath-2770

Quote Originally Posted by Draba View Post
    Dethklok:
    Radius is true, 5 is just so damn important we skimmed over it as obvious. On the gf front I'm partial on the stat being close to useless. The point in paragon levels for me is not getting max gf in addition to my max mf from gear, it's the stats and being able to drop gear and still have max mf. My total farm gold figures are around 15:1 in favor of item drops. Of course this is shifting a bit to favor gf more, since everyone who could only farm gold so far can now get top items with the difficulty nerfs. Still wouldn't give even 1m gold more for gear that gives 50%gf with the same stats.

mordath:
    Radius and ms are your top 2 priorities, that's absolutely right. Your damage and tankiness is ok for mp0, just need utility to farm.
    - helm: rare helms are dirt cheap, if you get one with around 80 dex you can slap on 1-2 additional affixes and still be below 1m(or 3 for <5m). This would be the best slot for pickup and some extra cc imho.
    - left ring: you can get a better one below 100K, if you still lack some defense 2-300 armor is practically free on rings. Resists aren't that expensive, either. You'll only need 5+cc any 60-80 dex, maybe 1 extra damage stat if you get lucky.
    - pants: yours are great, inna would lose at least 2 good affixes.
    - bracers: this is the ms slot for you. The cheapest crit lacunis lose 200 armor, 8% life and 200 dex(ok, this one hurts) for 9%as and ms, costing <1m. A 4.5%/400+ armor one costs <3m, with some dex slapped on it's in the 10-20m range. Forget vit and all resist on them, they are too expensive right now.
    - cloaks: yours is good, but it's always good to check them out on the ah. Non-nat cloaks are ridiculously cheap for some reason, a 80+ dex/80+ vita/60+ allres/600+armor/8+disc/3 socket one is well below 10m. I could only sell my previous one with 90 dex 80 vita for 3.5m in 4 days. The problem with getting those lies more in finding one on the ah than being able to pay for it

MF: I wouldn't prioritize it if you are on a budget. Just deck out the templar( rare amu, 1 ring, shield, nagelring, sun keeper ) for additional 25-29 mf in your case. Maybe look for a 8+ cc/100+ dex/40+ amu if you can drop some hp. Paragon up while it's decently fast, when you get enough gold to max mf without hurting damage go for it.
    Thanks this is exactly the advice I was looking for! I've been reading what you wrote like 10 times over and I have a few questions.
    1. Left ring my ats one gives more dps than the right one. I'm not sure what stats on the ring is better for even 100k can you be more specific as I don't understand what exactly you mean by this (stats and which ring you mean).
    2. Lacunis 4.5% (no armor added, 8% ats) is like 4-5M or maybe it's just higher price during the weekend (in fact it's the same for helm slot you adviced)?
    3. Good rare cloaks are extremely hard to find yeah I've noticed . This goes for a lot of the rares as well.. the AH seems to have mostly legendaries now and almost no good rares of any kind and the prices are bonkers either way. When should I start looking at legendaries or should I just keep focusing on the few rares that are upgrades on my slots.
    4. Regarding amulet 8cc/100dex/40+ what's the stat you mean by 40. Did you mean mf or crit damage?

IncGamers Member

The left ring gives more DPS because it has IAS, high crit, and a bit of base damage added. The problem is that it's entirely DPS, with no real utility. You should be able to track down a ring with 4-4.5 crit, dex, crit damage, and either all res or vit fairly easily, depending on your AH luck. Keep in mind that that flat damage modifier on it adds a significant amount to the damage it contributes, so it's a good idea to try and track down rings that contain the same.

A popular legendary that would suit your needs would be Unity; you can find those for less than 1m apiece, at least on the NA server.