Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BattleTag nurman-2854

Re: Interviews with Jay Wilson

Just saying that a) people who worked on Diablo 3 have good experience in game developing, have made awesome games in the past, most of them didn't start out as MMO developers and b) whatever their background, many of the people that worked on Blizz North, half of them have haven't made anything good since blizz north was shut down (David Brevik I'm looking at ya) and some of them ACTUALLY WORK ON MMO's now (Like Bill Roper).

Calling the D3 Dev-crew "immature MMO developers" is the most immature and ignorant statement one can submit.

Nobody can really say what would have happened if Blizz North wasn't shut down, maybe Diablo 3 would have been the best game ever, maybe it would have been the next Daikatana, maybe the next Duke Nukem Forever? Those who say otherwise need to start a career as mediums.

Quote Originally Posted by nurman View Post
    Calling the D3 Dev-crew "immature MMO developers" is the most immature and ignorant statement one can submit.
    You don't think that insulting other people over the internet, like when Jay Wilson said ".... that loser" to Dave, is immature behaviour? It is highly immature. Not only that, the whole crew acted immaturily on their Facebook page that day.

Nobody can really say what would have happened if Blizz North wasn't shut down
    Of course we can. We would have had the most awesome version of D3 you could ever imagine, developed by people with experience and knowledge in the ARPG genre. Chances are that we would have had D4 by now as well.

BattleTag nurman-2854

Quote Originally Posted by diablotwoplayerforlife View Post
    You don't think that insulting other people over the internet, like when Jay Wilson said ".... that loser" to Dave, is immature behaviour? It is highly immature. Not only that, the whole crew acted immaturily on their Facebook page that day.
    I do think it was bad and ignorant behaviour. That or it was a weird attempt at a joke targeted towards David Brevik's past achievements for the past 10 years.

When I replied to the immaturity statement, I considered it from the game developing perspective.

Of course we can. We would have had the most awesome version of D3 you could ever imagine, developed by people with experience and knowledge in the ARPG genre. Chances are the we would have had D4 by now as well.
    Who knows? Maybe we would, maybe we would not. What matters is that Blizz north has been defunct from 2005, though it kept dying because core people from there left from 2001 onwards. Maybe the whole blizz north was shut down because it did not have any success at designing new games? We will never know. Now, tell me, what are the next lottery numbers?
    Last edited by nurman; 05-12-2012 at 10:09.

I do think it was bad and ignorant behaviour. That or it was a weird attempt at a joke targeted towards David Brevik's past achievements for the past 10 years.
    So first you claim that the D3 team isn't ignorant. Then you admit their behaviour was ignorant. Could you please make up your confused mind before you post?

Who knows? Maybe we would, maybe we would not. What matters is that Blizz north has been defunct from 2005, though it kept dying because core people from there left from 2001 onwards. Now, tell me, what are the next lottery numbers?
    Most educated people who've done their research knows. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nmE5t1EvM8

BattleTag nurman-2854

Quote Originally Posted by diablotwoplayerforlife View Post
    So first you claim that the D3 team isn't ignorant. Then you admit their behaviour was ignorant. Could you please make up your confused mind before you post?

Most educated people who've done their research knows. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nmE5t1EvM8
    Everyone to most people are prone to outbursts of bad and ignorant behavior. Also, read the post again, I made edits few minutes after I posted.

That video is based on leaked screenshots from 5-8 years ago (and I have doubts on if they are real, though I can be wrong here) and on the belief that it is warcrafty, inferior to the predecessors and hey, the creators of D1 & D2 left after those games so it is also absurd to talk about them being there.

Please, compare Diablo 2, Warcraft 3 (or WoW, though Warcraft 2/3 are what I consider warcrafty) and Diablo 3 and say which looks more warcrafty to you.

IncGamers Member

Just saying that a) people who worked on Diablo 3 have good experience in game developing, have made awesome games in the past, most of them didn't start out as MMO developers
    sure, Hidetaka Miyazaki was designing mecha games before demon/dark souls. Jay and his team was just vastly overrated by most players. they assumed they were getting a genius like Hidetaka Miyazaki to design D3, but in reality ended up with Tameem Antoniades (ie: the typical and very average modern game designer). lulz.

IncGamers Member

To be fair, Jay did a good/great job on Company of Heroes. Not a genius job (there aren't many geniuses in any field at any given time), but it's a good game that's well-beloved by many.

The whole situation kind of reminds me of the hullabaloo with Civ 5. The reaction to Civ 5, at release, was quite the same as to D3 -- lots of complaints about streamlining, tarnishing a beloved franchise, etc. The lead designer, Jon Shafer, had actually been in charge of a really well-received Civ 4 expansion, but his design for Civ 5 drew too much from board games and wargames, which turned a lot of people off. Eventually, Shafer left -- I'm not sure if it was something akin to a firing (he went to go work for Stardock on similar 4x games), but Civ 5 has really improved since his departure. At this point, I enjoy posts and information from Wyatt Cheng much more than from Jay, who seems kind of grumpy and imperious -- I wonder if a potential replacement of Jay with Wyatt is in the offing for the expansion, and what a Wyatt-led game would look like.