Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Monk PVP item speculation thread

I doubt % damage to elites will apply to players. SOJ would be completely absurd giving 30% PVP bonus damage where no other item in any other slot gets close to 10%. Assuming no other items are added to the game, it would create a PVP environment where you shouldn't even be playing without that ring. This would give (poor) players without that item an easily identifiable reason to flame up the official forums, which is not something Blizzard wants to encourage.

BattleTag Sass-1761

Very true, but there are other items in the same category. Ultimately, PvP is never a poor person's game, no matter the game. Its competitive nature is demanding on gear selection, and those working on a budget will always struggle.

Besides, I'm still not sure if they plan on PvP only equipment or if we can just carry over our PvM gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sass View Post

Besides, I'm still not sure if they plan on PvP only equipment or if we can just carry over our PvM gear.
    According to Jay Wilson there are no plans to have pvp only equipment, derision of Jay's credibility aside, I'm willing to invest in gear _now_ that I think will be usable when pvp eventually comes. I think the best pvp gear is already in the game, and I want to buy it now, just a matter of figuring out what it is going to be.

I already have a life regen set for my monk that has me just over 3k LPS, you can get 3k pretty easily and cheaply and maintain nice damage output, I haven't decided what weapons I want yet, that is I haven't decided what weapon affixes I want yet.

Think about 3k per sec for some obvious Monk pvp skills:
    Serenity not only breaks CC and stops dmg, it is also a guaranteed 12k heal, same as a health pot.
    7SS is a 9k heal.
    Those are some nice heals in a fight where you only have 40-50k life.

As for shields vs 2 1 handers, I'm leaning towards 1 handers right now because of the huge attspd penalty that goes with using a shield. Monks have so much synergy with having a really high attack spd that I'm thinking a monk with a shield will be able to be ignored by most in pvp because the dmg just wont be there. As I said, I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, but just looking at some of the legendary/set weapons for monks and their possible modifiers I can't see a shield being better that two 1 handrs.

Question: Can shields roll the following affixes:? (I should know this, I know, but never look at shields)
    Life per Spirit spent
    Life on hit
    Crit dmg
    Attack speed
    Increase to lightning skills (like WKL)
    Socket on shield wont give crit dmg

BattleTag Sass-1761

:O cool beans. I get to keep my gear

If you have the funds, I'm sure dual wielding 1 handers will be the better option. The theory is, the rest of your gear provides enough res and armor to tank, and the sheer DPS of dual wielding will out perform a shield user. If you're a bit too squishy though, shields are still fine. They can have high dex/vit, blocking, Crit%, maybe life per spirit (IDK), and the sockets are just like any armor (and other class off-hands). I'm fairly certain it can't have IAS, but not sure; not much into shield mods even though I use one ;P I'm very certain it won't have the lightning boost unless there's a Legendary / Set / combo bonus. Stuff like that's just usually on WKL and Burning Axe.

IncGamers Member

Really who knows? Probably they add an extra cc-reduction to pvp.. Though I have to wonder: why would people wish to pvp in a game where it is pay-to-win, if there are many free games?

BattleTag Sass-1761

Dunno, but you'll have to find a game like that and ask their forums.

Aaaaaaand I'm spent....http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8163085/

So after having playable Team Deathmatch PvP in development for 2 years Blizz is just _now_ deciding to shelve it? What a ****ing joke. My patience with Blizz has officially run out.

I think I'll give Bloodline Champions a try.

IncGamers Member

Monks will probably be the best class for shields considering block chance is multiplicative with EHP (more mitigation means more chances to block/more full blocks). Monks are also the most likely to stubbornly run at an opponent in a straight line, turning the defensive bonuses from a shield into more chances to close distance, land hits, and regain spirit. Barbs can always go for a Stormshield, but there are no legendary shields that work for a monk. Most important things to look for on a rare shield:

1) Dex/vita dual mod. It goes up to 200/200 for a single property, which you can't find on any other armor slot.
    2) 18%+ base block rate. You can't filter for this on the AH, but it's the whole point of wearing a shield.
    3) Block amount. Sacred shields (level 63) have the highest block amount and dread shields (level 62) have slightly less. Any lower level and it starts to waste a ton of EHP. Note that the Hallowed Defender set shield is a 6 property craftable and is basically a sacred shield with a possible set bonus.
    4) Critical hit chance. There are no other trifecta stats on a shield, so under 8% is too low.
    5) All resistance. The max roll is the usual 80 for armor.
    6) Increased block chance. The absolute max block rate for a rare is 20% base + 9% increase. Any rare with the increased block chance and over 25% total is really good.
    7) Dex and vita single mods. They also go up to 200, but are less valuable alone than as a dual mod.
    8) A specific resistance for OWE. Not as good as resist all, but pretty close.
    9) % life. This can go up to 16% on a shield, just like an amulet. The few pieces of legendary or set armor with the stat can't go that high.
    10) Armor. Bonus armor doesn't use a random property as efficiently as resistances. You add 1100+ armor from just holding a sacred shield.
    11) A socket. A mere 52-58 to dex is almost a wasted stat.

Runners up for possible PVP stats: Chance to stun/disable on hit, crowd control reduction (max 14), life regen (max 340)

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzarino View Post
    1) Dex/vita dual mod. It goes up to 200/200 for a single property, which you can't find on any other armor slot.
    I'm pretty darn sure the max roll for any dual stat affix on any slot is 150/150. I don't know what you consider an 'armor slot' but amulets and weapons can also roll the 150/150 affixes.

IncGamers Member

You can search shields with over 300/300 main stat/vita. Possibly the upper limit is 350/350?