Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Question Max. Chance To Block confusion

Hello. :-)

I have found out these information, and I made a conclusion, which seems a little bit annoying to me. That is why I want to prove or disprove it here.

Max. chance to block is 75%.
    Source: http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp...aracters.shtml - section Blocking

Formula for chance to block is:
    Total Blocking = (Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)
    (I assume that „Total Blocking“ means „Chance to Block“, am I right?)
    Source: http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp...aracters.shtml - section Blocking

Max. level your character can reach is level 99.
    Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6220906AArh1oJ

Max. attribute points you can get to allocate should be approxiamtely 505 points.
    Source: http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...09815&sid=3000 – user Therealbrowser

I wanted to play as a Necromancer, using the set called Trang-Oul’s Avatar. Because one part of the set is Trang-Oul’s Wing, which is basically a shield, I decided to go for max. Chance to Block.
    The item Trang-Oul’s Wing has „+ 30% Increased Chance Of Blocking“.
    Source: http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp...html#trangouls

I wanted to know how high Dexterity would I need on the latest level to achieve max. block with this item set.
    So, using the formula above: 0.75 = (0.30 * (Dexterity - 15)) / (99 * 2)
    Dexterity would need to be 505. Because that is the maximum allocable amount of attribute points and because Necromancer already has 25 Dexterity on start, you would have ONLY 25 ATTRIBUTE POINTS TO ALLOCATE SOMEWHERE ELSE THAN TO DEXTERITY, IF YOU WOULD WANT TO HAVE MAXIMUM BLOCK AT LEVEL 99 WITH NECROMANCER AND TRANG-OUL’S AVATAR SET.

This seems really strange to me. Is it really like that? If yes, what do you think? Does it pay off? If it does not, how should one make it so that it would pay off? … Just post any ideas.

Also, does investing atribute points in Dexterity raise Chance to Block more efficiently (more quickly) for some classes than for others? (like e. g. with Vitality, where Sorceress receives less Life Points for every point of Vitality spěny than Barbarian ) It does not seems so from the formula, but – just to be sure. I am asking because of this, which I found the first and second link above: „The block value itself is a combination of a value inherent to that particular player class, and any other block bonuses from items.“ What does it mean „block value is inherent to particular player class“? And does „block value“ in this case also mean „Chance to Block“?

Any help appreciated. :-)

Re: Max. Chance To Block confusion

TB = (B*(D-15))/(CL*2)
    TB*(CL*2)=B*(D-15)
    TB*(CL*2)/B=(D-15)
    TB*(CL*2)/B + 15 = D

Total blocking cap is on 75% as stated. So, we get formula:

D=150*CL/B + 15, meaning

Dexterity needed for max block = (150*character level)/blocking + 15, rounded up

Character level = 99
    Chance to block (Trang Oul's Wing) = 60%

Dex needed for max block at level 99 is 262,5, so you need 263 dexterity to achieve max block with that shield with necro on level 99.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gripphon View Post
    TB = (B*(D-15))/(CL*2)
    TB*(CL*2)=B*(D-15)
    TB*(CL*2)/B=(D-15)
    TB*(CL*2)/B + 15 = D

Total blocking cap is on 75% as stated. So, we get formula:

D=150*CL/B + 15
    You made a mistake there. Let me show you:

TB*(CL*2)=B*(D-15) - now you have to divide the left part with B, but you have to divide the whole term, not only (CL*2)

So in the next step it is like this: (TB*(CL*2))/B=D-15
    And then: D=(TB*(CL*2))/B+15

With this corrected formula, dexterity required for Necromancer's max. block at level 99 with Trang-Oul's Wing is as follows:

D=(TB*(CL*2))/B+15
    D=(0.75*(99*2))/0.30+15
    D=(0.75*198)/0.30+15
    D=148.5/0.30+15
    D=495+15
    D=510

You wrote the same formula as I did, because when you have a*b, then it's all the same if you first divide a/c then multiply by b, or you first divide b/c then multiply with a, or you first multiply a*b, then altogether divide by c. So I didn't write that bonus bracket as you did.
    But now I see the problem. You don't use 0.75 (which is mathematically correct if we speak about percentage), but you use 75% instead. So your numbers should look like this:

D=(TB*(CL*2))/B+15
    D=(75*(99*2))/60+15
    D=262.5

You used B=0,3, but blocking for your desired shield is 60%. You simply read what is your total chance on block on shield, that + 30% Increased Chance Of Blocking is already calculated there. So, don't use 0.xy for percentage in this case, use 75%, 30%, 60% etc...

IncGamers Member

You wrote the same formula as I did, because when you have a*b, then it's all the same if you first divide a/c then multiply by b, or you first divide b/c then multiply with a, or you first multiply a*b, then altogether divide by c. So I didn't write that bonus bracket as you did.
    Oh, yes, you are right. I should refresh my maths. The rule I used would apply on "TB+(CL*2)", but not on "TB*(CL*2)".

But now I see the problem. You don't use 0.75 (which is mathematically correct if we speak about percentage), but you use 75% instead. So your numbers should look like this:

D=(TB*(CL*2))/B+15
    D=(75*(99*2))/60+15
    D=262.5

You used B=0,3, but blocking for your desired shield is 60%. You simply read what is your total chance on block on shield, that + 30% Increased Chance Of Blocking is already calculated there. So, don't use 0.xy for percentage in this case, use 75%, 30%, 60% etc...
    I think it is vice versa - I use 0.75 (as mathematically correct percentage), but you use 75 instead of 0.75.
    You are right about the Chance to Block for that shield, I mistook "+30% Increased Chance Of Blocking" for the final value, which is 60%.
    Anyway, now it makes sense - the Dexterity 262.5 is right even according to the block calculator. So, everytime I will calculate Chance to Block, I should use "full numbers" instead of percentage. Thank you very much for clarification. :-)

IncGamers Member

One more thing - it is off topic, but since we already have such a nice conversation here and since I am too lazy to create a new thread... I tried playing the Barbarian, and used the Stun skill. It seemed to me that the Stun skill did not always work even when I hit, or that the skill did not work on bossess, or something like that. But there is nothing about this neither in the in-game description of the skill, nor in the description which is on Arreat Summit. So, do you know if there is some rule like "the stun function of the Stun skill does not work on bossess", or "there is only a chance that the monster will be stunned, not certainty" etc.? Or was it just my imagination?

IncGamers Member

And last off-topic question... Do Life and Mana Stealing effects on equipment stack? Like if I will have Trang-Oul's set which gives me 20% Life Steal per Hit, and in addition if I would use the elite unique sword Bloodmoon which gives me 10% - 15% Life Steal per Hit, would I have let's say 35% Life Steal per Hit, or only 20% Life Steal per Hit?

IncGamers Member

Ok, this will be the last off-topic question. :-D ... What possibly good use could a Necromancer have for Life Steal with Trang-Oul's set? I mean, I suppose it is best to go with a wand rather than with an actual weapon, and wand does not have high enough damage to make the Life Steal actually count, or...?

Life stealing effects stack.
    http://www.diablowiki.com/Life_Stealing_%28Diablo_II%29

Don't know what to do with that life steal with necro. Nothing I guess. Don't know what to do with that fire spell bonuses either. It's cool to fire fireballs that almost don't deal damage, or meteors. Sometimes gear provides bonuses you don't really need.

As for stun, don't know mechanics of that.

IncGamers Member

Well... You would deal something like 250 - 300 damage with Fireball from Trang-Oul's set, which is not very much if you have leveled other Necromancer damage spells. But I don't know - MAYBE.. If you would get that Bloodmoon... You could create an interesting build, albeit I absolutely do not know if it would be a "good" build.

Melee damage:

You would go for max. block, therefore for high Dexterity, therefore for great Chance to Hit.
    Damage done directly by Necromancer - Bloodmoon sword, 120 - 140 damage per hit. (amplifiaction - Amplify Damage, Decrepify)
    Indirect damage - Bloodmoon sword has 9 charges of Level 15 Blood Golem, so Golem making damage.
    Indirect damage - 50% chance of Open Wounds on hit with Bloodmoon
    Indirect damage - Confuse and Attract
    Indirect damage - Attackers take damage of 20 (Trang-Oul's Guise]

Ranged damage and weakening enemies (weakening of melee monsters before they engage, attacking ranged monsters, AREA OF EFFECT DAMAGE):

Can use Lower Resist (-64%)
    Fireball base damage - 596-683
    Firewall base damage - 959-992 per second
    Meteor base damage - 852-953
    Trang-Oul's Claws +20% faster Cast Rate
    Curses - Decrepify, Weaken, Dim Vision, ...

Life steal:

20% Life Steal from Trang-Oul's Set
    10% - 15% Life Steal from Bloodmoon
    Base Life Steal let's say 35% per hit, that is 49 lifes gained per successful 1 melee attack.
    With Life Tap, 119 lifes gained per 1 successful melee attack.
    IN ADDITION - Trang-Oul's Guise Replenish Life +5, Trang-Oul's Girth Replenish Life +5, +66 to Life, Bloodmoon Sword +7-13 Life after each kill

Protection:

Damage reduced by 25%
    +100% Missile Defense
    Lightning resist - 100%
    Poison resist - 90%
    Fire resist - 95%
    Cold resist - 120%
    Cannot be frozen
    Able to run around (+30 max. stamina, 40% faster movement]
    Defense 1543

Crowd Control:

Curses! Confuse, Attract,Terror, .... + and you can go for Bone Prison and Bone Wall, which will 1) synergize with your Bone Armor, 2) combined with curses will give you excellent area control

OR, ALTERNATIVELY...

You can go for poison skills - that way you will use up the bonus from Trang-Oul's set (-25% to enemy Poison Resistance, +25% to Poison Skill damage).

Where you get mana for all the casting if you spend your points into strenght, dexterity, vitality:

Trang-Oul's set! .. Mana +300, regeneration of mana +105%

And you have +15 Dexterity and +25 Strenght on shield, so little bit more stat points to spend.

All this can be supplemented with charms, of course - not talking about amulet and rings.

And how to use this? 2 ways.

With poison: Weaken enemy before approach - curses, then poison, then fire spells. When they engage, use curses to shrink the number of monsters you have to fight at once - use your nice defense, Blood Golem, 75% block and huge lifesteal to survive, while simultaneously dealing damage directly, through Blood Golem, by returning damage (items + Iron Maiden) and mainly Poison (which does damage overtime so you do not have to recast it all the time and you can melee lifesteal instead).

With bones: Same as with poison, only relying on your much improved crowd control (Bone Wall, Bone Prison) and protection (Bone Armor) instead of poison to give you the edge. Then you can either run away and cast fire, or divide enemy forces continously and fight melee.

You can use Corpse Explosion instead of fire once there are corpses to use.