Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Board Games

Re: Board Games

Did somebody say Cthulhu? I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Housewares View Post
    anybody play any of the Cthulhu or Arkham Horror games?
    I have many years of experience with the RPG itself which is loads of fun (if you love the horror genre) and very easy to learn. For more info, just grab the free quickstart pdf or check out the forums over at yoggie. I digress though, you're asking for board and card games.

Arkham Horror: Really fun game but the rules are a bit daunting for newbies and a session can take a long time to complete (by board game standards). Also, it's a cooperative rather than competitive game. That may be a deal maker/breaker right there.

You might want to have a look at Mansions of Madness too. I've yet to pick it up so I can't tell you anything about it.

On the card game front there is also this. Like its out-of-print predecessor, Mythos, it's a CCG. Beautiful cards, fun game, but also a big cash sucker. To be honest, ALL of these recs are expensive. I think your wallet will like Leo's picks alot better.

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    Did somebody say Cthulhu? I'm your huckleberry.

I have many years of experience with the RPG itself which is loads of fun (if you love the horror genre) and very easy to learn. For more info, just grab the free quickstart pdf or check out the forums over at yoggie. I digress though, you're asking for board and card games.
    if he wants to get into that, on his own head be it, I'm already stuck DMing the 4e game, if he wants to get the rpg going he can get it on his own

everything in the genre seems to have a lot of common threads

Mansions of Madness looks like Call of Cthulhu lite
    Elder Signs looks like Arkham Horror lite

figuring out what degree of complexity or difficulty to go for seems to be the trick here

I haven't heard of most of these. We do a lot of trivial pursuit, and good old fashioned sorry. sorry requires very very little skill or effort, and is easily converted into a drinking game--which makes it popular among my hooligan friends.

I can't get anyone to play monopoly or risk even, there's no way I'd get anyone to play a game like that illuminati one. it looks really cool, but no one is going to sit down and learn the rules. :(

IncGamers Member

My 3 favorite board games are

Ticket To Ride
    Arkham Horror
    Small World

seeing how you have 2 of those already and since you have Pandemic listed if you can handle playing a Co-op game and losing at it 9 out of 10 times Arkham Horror shouldnt disappoint. The rules look more daunting that they really are, its a pretty straight forward game. Definitely one of those games that is easy to learn if you play it with people that know it already, but not hard to learn on your own either.

I'm already stuck DMing the 4e game
    Ouch! You have my sympathy. I picked up the core books and some friends and I tried it out. A week later those core books were resold and we went right back to 2E Revised.

I agree that an investment in the actual RPG should be his. I don't want to get too OT here, but one quick "pro" I'll point out is that CoC can be learned in an afternoon - it's very rules-lite compared to any version of D&D.

everything in the genre seems to have a lot of common threads

Mansions of Madness looks like Call of Cthulhu lite
    Elder Signs looks like Arkham Horror lite

figuring out what degree of complexity or difficulty to go for seems to be the trick here
    Your comparisons are dead-on accurate.

If it came down to choosing between Mansions of Madness, Elder Sign or Arkham Horror, I'd go with Arkham Horror without hesitation.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Cosmic Encounters is one I've heard of, if you have some personal experiences with it to share then I'd be happy to hear
    I used to play this regularly on weekends with a bunch of friends (when in my 20's and 30's) between AD&D sessions (1e - the only good one IMHO) and still get in 2-3 games a year with my brother-in-law and his kids when they come by (using the Mayfair version he has), tons of fun.

I'm not sure about the current version I pointed you to however as I played the original (Eon Games) version of the game and we only had the first 7 sets and did not use the Moons and Lucre. we used 3 alien powers each and 4-6 players.

In depth information on the game is here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_Encounter

You can find the old version cards and such online and print them to make your own set and a online version of it exists as well I think?
    Last edited by BobCox2; 01-12-2012 at 07:40.

Monopoly or Supremacy.

I'm already stuck DMing the 4e game
    Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    Ouch! You have my sympathy. I picked up the core books and some friends and I tried it out. A week later those core books were resold and we went right back to 2E Revised.
    For the last year, I've been rotating DMing a 4e game alongside a 2e game. It took a bit to wrap my head around all the changes they made, and was a little apprehensive at first, but I like it overall. It was an especially big jump for me because I totally stepped right over 3e, never touched it. 4e's condition tracking is masochistic, and I wouldn't play it exclusively, but it's a neat change of pace. I've even retrofitted a couple things into 2nd like casting a first level attack spell "at will" but it only doing damage as if level 1. At low levels, it's better than throwing darts all day! I've been trying to retrofit some of the ideas from the D&D Next playtest into both editions too.

As for board games, if you're both familiar with 4e, Castle Ravenloft and the others like it are pretty fun. I picked up CR a couple months ago, and liked it pretty well. It's like 4e Lite and can even be played solo. It's a bit pricey (in the $40+ range), but it has a LOT of stuff in it. Wizards has other newer (and cheaper) games like Dungeon Command and a re-release of the old game Dungeon!, but I've never played them.

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

I like 4e, at this point I'm intimately familiar with it, which is why I'd rather be playing, I know too much about the player classes and never get to use them. We had a bunch of people who were going from 2 to 4 so I did most of the study work to guide them through.

I skipped 3rd also, and I've got a friend who DMs an old school 1st/2nd homebrew, so I get to appreciate the differences between them

didnt try D&D Next but I got the download and read through, its pretty thin on features after looking at 15+ races and 30ish classes in 4e I will have to wait for more flavorful classes to entice me, in the experimental stage its too much of a step back, so I will wait until refinement comes, but this is what I expected for something in development

I've had a look at Castle Ravenloft but considering we play 4e there doesn't seem much cause to get a simpler version, especially when its the complexity that entices me

maybe Arkham Horror is the one that most appeals to me, I will just have to figure out if its the one that most appeals to my friend

and people don't play trivia games with me because they get bored of losing, my friend is definitely not a trivial pursuit type

as for Cosmic Encounters, I have a different friend who uses to play it 20 or so years ago too, and he's expressed an interest in playing it too, but its a bit on the pricey side

Castle Ravenloft as board game?!