Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: The D3 PVP Debacle

Quote Originally Posted by nurman View Post
    Honestly, I don't think PvP ever really worked well in RPG games save for MMORPGs which are balanced so that everyone is equal.
    Then don't play it. There's a high demand for it, so people clearly want it. I don't get why you people always think PvP has to be balanced.

If there's no reward, balance is not important. Give the player enough freedom in builds/skills, and players themselves will serve to balance themselves. Will it be perfect? No. Can players still enjoy the experience? Yes.

Without rewards, it won't be mandatory. Don't like PvP? Go farm Act 3.

Want perfect balance? Go play chess.

IncGamers Member

Player versus player is a seperate game from playing Diablo 3.
    It only makes sense to improve Diablo 3 as best they can before utilizing resources elsewhere.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten One View Post
    Player versus player is a seperate game from playing Diablo 3.
    It only makes sense to improve Diablo 3 as best they can before utilizing resources elsewhere.
    How about using those resources to add a real endgame

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    How about using those resources to add a real endgame
    Define your criteria for a "real end game" and assume I can't answer your question.
    I am not on their development team and I'm not privy to their daily tasks & direction.

I only know that resources are focused on the core game's evolution right now through the release of the patches.

Banned

I can only imagine the sheer HATRED which will be unleashed after PvP patch. PvP is competitive and people HATE to lose because of imbalance. You would be surprised how many people trash talk orcs when playing as undead in WC3. That game is highly balanced, after about 30 patches, over 10 years. Orc > Undead, true. However, the difference is rather small, about 60% to 40% in win ratio. It's possible to win with an orc as ud. In this game... imbalance will be so HUGE, it will be sick...

BattleTag nurman-2854

Quote Originally Posted by TarnishedHope View Post
    Then don't play it. There's a high demand for it, so people clearly want it. I don't get why you people always think PvP has to be balanced.

If there's no reward, balance is not important. Give the player enough freedom in builds/skills, and players themselves will serve to balance themselves. Will it be perfect? No. Can players still enjoy the experience? Yes.

Without rewards, it won't be mandatory. Don't like PvP? Go farm Act 3.

Want perfect balance? Go play chess.
    Balance in PvP context is making it fun for everyone, not just the guy who has the best class / build from the start. It's about, as said earlier, competitiveness and what is FAIR. Same rules apply to everyone, but it's your skill that makes you win, not you playing with an OP build. Most people dislike playing football so that you play with one less player.

And thank you, I will go back to farming.

Banned

If they just added a duel button players could balance their own duels the way the wanted too. There doesn't need to be rewards, ladders, matching making. All that is just fluff.....Over thinking the whole pvp aspect of a diablo game would drive any normal human being insane.

Competitve players will find a way to balance it, as they did in D2... While true pubbers will PWN, whine about losing, complain about balance, troll or trash talk all night long.

Either way, no pvp this long after release and no updates is total bull....

IncGamers Member

Honestly, I don't think PvP ever really worked well in RPG games save for MMORPGs which are balanced so that everyone is equal.
    balance is a non-issue and overrated. diablo nor WoW is SC. skill abstract games like WoW (lulz..combat rating system) aren't competitive (ie: skill based games) in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quingu View Post
    I can only imagine the sheer HATRED which will be unleashed after PvP patch. PvP is competitive and people HATE to lose because of imbalance.
    again, it isn't a competitive game. that's a myth perpetuated by players. of course, it doesn't help when blizz perpetuates the same myth by throwing money around trying promote WoW as an esport.

Balance in PvP context is making it fun for everyone, not just the guy who has the best class / build from the start. It's about, as said earlier, competitiveness and what is FAIR. Same rules apply to everyone, but it's your skill that makes you win, not you playing with an OP build. Most people dislike playing football so that you play with one less player.

And thank you, I will go back to farming.
    Not really. Some of us define fun in a different way as you. It's been mentioned by Blizzard that D3 PvP is not meant to be competitive. As long as there is no overarching benefits that force you into PvP, most could care less about fairness in the strictest sense.

But if you want to dwell on fairness, then tell me, by your means of perfect balance, how is it fair that those who put in more time developing/gearing their characters cannot be rewarded for their efforts?

Your skill is what makes you win? Go. Play. Chess. PC game is not for you.

By your definition, we would have to take out gear, level, build, and class. Everything. If that's something you want to play, that's you.

Banned

PvP is by definition competitive. People fight with other people, ok? If there is no GOOD balance, what's the point? In competition, you need to KNOW well that if you stretch yourself, you have a solid chance to win. If there is just ONE OP build, half of population will use it, while the other half will curse them.

BTW, even in chess, white has a slight advantage at high level of play, because of first move.